antidepressants, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by oval, Feb 16, 2015.

1. oval

oval Well-Known Member

I have an appointment with a psychiatrist this afternoon to discuss medication but i am extremely apprehensive to start taking something. obviously, i was concerned with the side effects, but then at some point i thought that i was tired of feeling like this and something just needs to happen. i wanted something to tackle the problem fast. but then i started thinking.
    say an antidepressant did work and its side effects were manageable, how can i work through the problems that are causing the depression if i am in an altered mental state? if the symptoms DID disappear or get significantly less, how can i treat something that is no longer there? i cant say that i know much about antidepressants, but to me it seems like medication is a relatively quick "fix" but it wont help me in the long run, unless i keep taking that medication. thoughts?
    also, if the medication was making me feel worse, i feel like that would manipulate therapy as well, since it wouldnt be the problems that are natural (meaning that they are the results from my upbringing etc) and that i started out with. they would be caused by this medication and how can you overcome something with CBT or whatever that is beyond your control? i mean, if the meds affect your brain's chemicals, there would be nothing you can do about that. other than switching meds of course.

naturally, i am very afraid of things getting worse. the whole reason i consider taking anything is bc im tried of feeling like this and not being able to function. if side effects were to increase my depression.... or even worse.... is it worth the risk? i dont want to feel numb. i want the cloud to go away. i want to stop feeling like my hands are tied together. i hate that phrase that its a "trial and error" kind of thing. there is NO ROOM FOR ERROR. when it comes to someone with mental instability, there is just no room for error.

has anybody had positive experiences with antidepressants? if so, what were they and how long did it take until you noticed a difference? did impact therapy, and if so, how? what side effects did you experience?

Thanks!

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Hello oval, I hope the appointment went okay and you were able to discuss your concerns with your psychiatrist. I do think with a lot of psychiatric drugs, it is very hit and miss and it can take several attempts to find the right ones that suit you, or you may get lucky and find a drug that works for you first time. I can't take anti depressants myself as I have bipolar (the two don't mix) but I do take mood stabilisers and have had a lot of success with them. Meds haven't made my problems go away, they are still there but I no longer have the symptoms that prevent me from tackling my problems. In depression, I don't think meds are designed to make your problems go away, they are there to help treat the symptoms enough so that you can work on your problems in therapy. Most doctors recommend the med/therapy combination as it has a better chance of preventing a relapse. So just because an anti depressant has been successful at treating your symptoms, the problem is STILL there.

3. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Hello oval, I hope the appointment went okay and you were able to discuss your concerns with your psychiatrist. I do think with a lot of psychiatric drugs, it is very hit and miss and it can take several attempts to find the right ones that suit you, or you may get lucky and find a drug that works for you first time. I can't take anti depressants myself as I have bipolar (the two don't mix) but I do take mood stabilisers and have had a lot of success with them. Meds haven't made my problems go away, they are still there but I no longer have the symptoms that prevent me from tackling my problems. In depression, I don't think meds are designed to make your problems go away, they are there to help treat the symptoms enough so that you can work on your problems in therapy. Most doctors recommend the med/therapy combination as it has a better chance of preventing a relapse. So just because an anti depressant has been successful at treating your symptoms, the problem is STILL there.

4. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Hi Oval, I can only speak from experience, but anti depressants have helped me to at least function again.
    As Butterfly has said, it can take a few tries to find the one that suits best, but overall the benefits out way the cons.

5. oval

oval Well-Known Member

Thank you butterfly and terry, for your responses!

my appointment went horribly! everything bad i have heard about psychiatrists was confirmed by this guy. throughout the entire appointment I noticed that he was not listening to me at all, i had to tell him everything 3 times, he kept completely misunderstanding what i was saying.
    i told him that i didnt have insurance (im being seen by the clinic on a probono basis), he kept ignoring that information and kept saying oh your insurance will cover this and that. eventually i said "NO! it will not! i dont have insurance!"
    when he asked me about my childhood i told him my mother died. 2 minutes later he asks me "so, why did your mother leave you?"
    i told him that i have no ballance in my life bc i have no interest in doing anything anymore, i feel debilitated and like i cannot enjoy anything. that leads to me having nothing enjoyable to ballance out the obligations in my life that are school and work. he took this as me worrying about balancing school, work, and my personal life and "DIAGNOSED" me with Generalized Anxiety Disorder 50 minutes into the appointment............... no? dont have that? dont meet the criteria whatsoever? never felt anything like that before. could not be further from the truth.

he also prescribed me prozac. at first, he wanted to give me lexapro, but when i asked him out of curiousity why he thought that specifically lexapro would be good, he said "oh, no reason. its just newer. but you can take prozac too if you want. ill give you 10 mg of prozac." i told him i needed the generic version to which he responded again that my insurance would cover it lol unfuckingreal

i feel so let down and disappointed. he did not discuss shit with me, ignored everything i said to him, did not take any of my concerns into consideration, and just gave me any random brain chemistry altering medication, bc why the fuck not. just take prozac, your insurance will cover it. if you die, please seek medical help immediately.
    now im sitting here with this prescription that i was given by someone who knows 0 about me bc he ignored everything. how can i possibly in my right mind take this?
    all my information i got online and everywhere it says discuss this with your doctor, take this medication if your doctor believes it is the right choice. but this asshole just gave me whatever. im really upset right now, bc i dont know what to do. i find myself wanting to quit my job and drop out of school, just quit everything. its so hard to function. i had hopes that medication would help me with the motivation and joylessness. then maybe i would have a little more balance in my life and the stress as well as aggression and frustration would subside. but all these side effects....that were not discussed with me! i told him i have irregular heart beat and he totally ignored that too. it says do not take if you have irregular heart beat of take medication that may cause it. im also a cake decorator and cant afford to have tremors. he said that does not happen with SSRIs but its one of the first ones on the list!!! what the fuck?!

i feel really left alone with this...

6. Hi Oval. I'm very sorry that you had such a horrible experience with the psychiatrist. I commend you for wanting to try medication to help deal with your depression. I take antidepressants to help with my depression. The meds don't make my problems go away, but they keep me from becoming suicidal and allow me to be much more functional than I would be without them. I understand why you would be hesitant to take the prozac after the appointment from hell that you had. Maybe if you have a family doctor who knows you and who you feel comfortable with, you could talk to them about your concerns about taking medication.

7. oval

oval Well-Known Member

thank you, random_precision!
    i dont have a family doctor. plus you have to make an appointment for everything, even a quick chat like that, and that would be another expense for me. i did ask my therapist a couple of questions and she then spoke with the psychiatrist that saw me. i just dont really validate the info he is giving me too much. i just dont trust him.
    i cant wrap my head around how antidepressants work and how they feel. i mean, i know in theory how they work.
    as stereotypical as that sounds but i also dont know what "normal" feels like anymore. i cant see anything outside of "this". i have not the slightest imagination of what that would feel like. im asking myself, when was the last time i really had a "normal" and leveled mood? is my understanding of a normal mood, a normal mood? how do other people feel on a day to day basis lol i cant imagine to what "normal" level antidepressants would bring me up to. yeah i know, im some super fancy douche bag, different than aaaaanybody else. thats what it sounds like lol but when youre surrounded by this fog for so long, you kind of lose touch, as many of you will most likely know

8. cymbele

cymbele SF Supporter

When I started the anti-depressants I thought that nothing had changed so I stopped after a couple of months. I still felt "normal." A month later my then husband and my daughter asked me to go back on them as I had returned to the state before doing the anti-depressants. It took a long time and a heavy dose of Prozac daily to make me feel normal. Although I felt normal at the time my therapist conferred with the pdoc as to report on what she thought if I needed more or not. Now I am on different meds as I am bipolar and though I still feel depressed it definitely is situational. You might have to rely on family, friends, and therapist to tell you if you are improving or not. You will notice when you get the right mix of meds that you are doing ok. You still will have ups and downs as life changes things for you.

9. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Anti depressants have helped me immensely. I've been on a lot of different ones, mirtazapine helped me the most at treating the depression, now I take lexapro and sertraline combined and my depression has stayed away plus they help a lot with anxiety. I'm sorry your appointment didn't go as well as planned, i hope it goes better in the future.