Antinatalism

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Roads, May 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roads

Roads Active Member

I recently got turned on to a what seems like a very small and taboo-ish philosophical position called Antinatalism.

Basically Antinatalism asserts that birthing more human beings and forcing the burden of existence on them is morally and ethically wrong. It advocates the extinction of the human race by simply not procreating ever again.

This quote from the wikipedia article pretty much sums it up

As someone who has dealt with major depression, social isolation and a large of string of overwhelmingly negative experiences that sum up my life, to even think about the fact that people are out there creating life and putting it into this sick rat race seems nothing short of cruel. If I helped to create a child, I don't think I could live with myself knowing the shitty experiences they'd undoubtedly go through.

What do you guys think?

2. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Just as you went through depression, social isolation, and negative experiences doesn't mean that other people have similar life histories. Now as somebody who goes through heavy depression and who has had some bad stuff happen in my life, I can empathize with the view were it not for my sentiments which are optimistic and humanely oriented.

I see the world as an amoral, absurdest environment. Love , our relationship to ourselves and others make living worthwhile though. Hundreds of millions of people experience, happiness, joy, love and have mostly positive experiences. Hundreds of millions if not billions.

I think the only way you can be happy in this life is by celebrating human life and its multiple cultures. I look forward to having a family and making sure my children don't go through the same things I did.

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I don't know. I don't know whether I should bring people into this world. There are some aspects of the world I positively despise and wouldn't wish on anyone... but then there are some wonderful things. I'm also undecided on whether I wish to pass my genes on. Mine in particular are quite the mixed bag - family tendencies towards depression, epilepsy, migraines, back pain... Ugh. But on the other hand, quite intelligent. Perhaps a well-balanced mother could help? Dunno.

4. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I've been to the site Church of Euthanasia and there one commandment is "Thou shalt not procreate."

5. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

This reminds me of several organisations i've heard of;
    1. Church of Euthanasia
    2. Voluntary Human Extinction Movement

6. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Yeah voluntary human extinction movement that's the other one I was forgetting! I think the sites even link each other.
    Neither are pro-life though hah that's for certain.

7. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I think if I were younger and just getting married and thinking about raising a family, I would certainly take into consideration the environment, global economy, world population, etc...when deciding on whether to have children or how many.

It is not a very pleasant outlook right now, as far as I'm concerned, and I would not have children just for the sake of procreation. I believe these other factors should be considered.

But I do not advocate extinction of the human race!

8. nolovelost92

nolovelost92 New Member

"I can empathize with the view were it not for my sentiments which are optimistic and humanely oriented."

Sentimentality and optimism are nothing to be proud of as both obscure truth and are irrational.

What is humane about imposing life and gambling with your child's welfare? Anything can happen in life. Horror does exist and the universe is indifferent to the misery of us sentient animals. There are three certanties in life: deprivation, suffering and death. Whereas the non-existent can't be deprived of happiness and can't suffer.

"Hundreds of millions of people experience, happiness, joy, love and have mostly positive experiences."

What evidence are you basing this on?

Most humans live on under a dollar a day in slums. And privileged westerners don't seem much happier.

"I think the only way you can be happy in this life is by celebrating human life and its multiple cultures."

A tacit admission that you aren't interested in the truth or your future possible child's welfare.

"I look forward to having a family and making sure my children don't go through the same things I did."

There are no guarantees in life. Your child could be born with an agonising illness and it will be due to your selfishness, irrationality and irresponsibility.

9. poisonedresistance

poisonedresistance Well-Known Member

I think you should read the other two threads about this stuff, having kids is immoral and having kids is moral.

in my opinion having kids is a personal choice, does the human race deserve to continue,,,?
    we are learning,, not just tech but in many ways.

we are too young a species to judge with any accuracy what we are capable. in relative terms,,,,

if the age of the earth were a calendar we would appear at 15 mins to midnight on the 31st of December.

and as for the age of the earth in relation to the Universe, that would pure speculation.

As a species we are just babies ourselves

Antinatalism is a posh way of saying if a collection of unsupervised pre-school children do something wrong we should drown them all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.