Anxiety about injury

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by VALIS, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone has helpful advice about why this anxiety is happening, what it means, why it's getting worse and has lasted for weeks now.

It's making me suffer really badly. The anxiety is getting close to constantly.

I have extreme anxiety lately about getting into accidents. Getting hurt. It is becoming unbearable to think about getting my head/limbs severed, getting into a car accident which is a real risk where i live, i can barely go on the freeway anymore. The roof caving in. Heart attack. The blood, the feeling while getting severely injured, the image in my head is vivid when I think about ways I might get in accidents. It's one of the worst periods of anxiety I've ever gone through.

My meds for anxiety aren't helping and I'd rather get therapy anyways, but I have to wait another month for school to start before I can see a counselor.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience, thoughts, insight about specific anxiety for getting hurt or having accidents.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I do all the time i get into my vehicle i worry Maybe some obsessive thinking
    You should tell your doctor about this thought process okay maybe get on meds to help decrease the obsessive thinking hugs
  3. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I had those types of thoughts about my front glass window being smashed in my a car...for me, it was a place to put all the fear/anxiety I had about so many other other words, depends how it operates for you as to what it is...speak to someone about this who can help you understand it, once there is an understanding, it can be less concerning, and with that, it can reduce...also, if there are other things you think about in a similar nature, they should be considered...J
  4. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

Thanks to both of you. I talked to a counselor who pretty much wrote it off as generalized anxiety that should be handled with stress relief and relaxation excercises-- I do these things everyday and never had this specific obsessive anxiety before.
    It's still there, the fear of accidents, even small accidents- anticipating that I could stub my toe, thinking about accidentally cutting my hand while using scissors or a kitchen knife, pretty much anything. I was just dying my hair and was overcome with the image of the lady slicing my ear or blinding me with hair dye...

The pictures that accompany the thoughts are the most disturbing thing-- I see the wounds and feel the pain so vividly... I just do not know what this is about and want it to stop so badly. It limits my life lately as I don't want to drive anywhere.
  5. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Talk to your doctor okay ask him about obsessive compulsive thinking see if you can get on some medication to help you not be so anxious hun hugs
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.