Anxiety and Depression Caused by a Phobia

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by PuppyTooFat, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PuppyTooFat

PuppyTooFat New Member

I have had this phobia for as long as I can remember and I never understood why. I have an extreme fear of throwing up and it causes me extrreme anxiety. I had the fear since at least middle school, but the fear had always been manageable. Though, three months ago I got the stomach flu and got sick and it started a cycle of anxiety I can't seem to break. I'm 18 years old and in college and I've hardly been able to keep up with my classes because of this problem. I've been seeing a therapist, but I feel like I can't confide in him anymore. I also see a psychiatrist to get medications, but nothing has worked so far. I can't eat or even sleep regularly and I'm extremely depressed. I'm afraid to eat because I'm afraid it will make me sick and I just don't know what to do anymore. I feel like my last option is to kill myself because I just can't stand this constant fear and depression anymore. Nothing even seems worth it anymore and I just want to die so I don't feel the way I do anymore.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Phobias are just that hun fear i do hope you continue to work with your therapist and your doctor to beat this phobia. I find therapy helps the most when trying to change ones thought pattern. If therapy is not helping perhaps a different approach is needed hun talk to you therapist okay hugs
  3. Loren

Loren New Member

Hi hun I don't no wether your still on here but I am the exact same only mine is with other people throwing up, it's ruling my life xx
  4. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

Hi Loren. I have somewhat similar phobia. Mine is centred around feeling dizzy, the possibility that I will become dizzy, and feeling nauseous. For this specific thing, cognitive behavioural therapy helped me. CBT, for me, was most effective for things like this. Specific phobias and obsessional fears. But I see in your welcome post, CBT is making things worse for you so far. In that case, address that concern with therapist, see if therapist can change approach for you, be more helpful, take the exposure part of exposure therapy down a few notches. Or change to different therapist maybe.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.