1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anxiety Attack or just overwhelmed?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by BlueTyger, Mar 6, 2018.

1. BlueTyger

BlueTyger Active Member

Within the past year or something, things have reguarly started happening to me that really scare me, but it doesn't seem bad enough to be an anxiety or panic attack, so I'm really not sure if it's normal or something to seriously worry about.
    Sometimes it's triggerd by someting in paticular, for example someone critised me in a harsh way, but mostly it just comes crashing in without an apparent reason.

Basically I start breathing very fast and short, withou any control over it. It scares me, it feels like I'm suffocating, like I will never be able to calm down again, even though my brain is willing it to stop. I start crying or feel like I'm crying without actual tears coming out. Every bad memory or worry that I have comes up, I try to block it but it doesn't work. I get really, really scared.

Usually, this doesn't go on for very long, maybe a few minutes. Only once I could hardly breathe for 20 minutes, but that might just be because I cried so much. After I calm down, I'm ok, but whenever I think about what happend, it comes back and I have to force it down with everything I have.

I don't know, it's probably nothing compared to a real panic or anxiety attack, so I feel guilty calling it that, especially because I don't even have a good reason for having this. It's not like anything really traumatic ever happened to me.

Does anyone know what is happening and how I can maybe work on it?

2. Ash600

Ash600 SF Creative SF Supporter

Hi @BlueTyger , it does possibly seem like an anxiety attack you could be experiencing. It can be possible to experience the problems with anxiety without any actual defined causes. Discussing it with your doctor or arranging an appointment with a counsellor may be something for you to consider.

The following two links provide information, resources and advice on this condition which I do hope will be of some help to you.

https://www.mind.org.uk/information...al-health-problems/anxiety-and-panic-attacks/

https://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/get-help/anxiety-information/

Wish you all the best.

BlueTyger likes this.
  3. Striking

Striking Well-Known Member

They are all real. Mine run the entire fight, flight, freeze spectrum. I would not describe any of them as less real, just with less severity.

BlueTyger likes this.
  4. Walker

Walker Everything Zen Staff Member Safety & Support SF Social Media SF Supporter

Sounds like a panic attack to me, man. There are ways to try to control them as you feel them starting to happen, you can google them if you want to look at that more. I'm not sure of them specifically off the top of my head, sorry.
    Panic attacks suck. I'm sorry you're going through that. I get them too on rare occasions.

BlueTyger likes this.
  5. DowntheRabbitHole

DowntheRabbitHole SF Supporter

Hi Blue!
    You said these "attacks" started within the last year or so? Did you have any big life changes before they started happening?
    Sometimes consciously we don't notice a trigger, but the body does. It could be a commercial on TV, a certain smell, the way some stranger wears their hair. It takes a lot of diligence to train yourself to start recognizing triggers. But then you are armed for future attacks.
    Sorry you are having to deal with this. If you need to talk or just someone to keep you company during the tough times I'd be happy to help.

Rabbit

BlueTyger likes this.
  6. BlueTyger

BlueTyger Active Member

Thanks everyone for answering, I really appreciate it.
    Today was very stressfull, I wrote an exam for school and spent the first few minutes staring at the paper trying to calm down. I'm better now, but I keep feeling guilty because I think that I don't have real problems and nothing to justify an attack like this. I know that that's irrational but I can't help the thoughts.

7. BlueTyger

BlueTyger Active Member

I can't think of any certain events. I know of some things that trigger it, harsh critisism is one of them, also thinking that people are talking/laughing about me, and hearing (or thinking that I'm hearing) my old name, because I'm a Trans guy.

Right now, because it has happened so often recently, thinking about not being able to breathe can be added to the list. But as soon as I recognise the trigger, it's already too late.

Anyway, thank you, I will keep that in mind.

8. DowntheRabbitHole

Sometimes what helps me when a panic attack is already starting I use what I call the "Arya strategy"(Game of Thrones reference). I recite the things that keep me in the here and now. My kids names, my dogs, my boyfriend, etc. I list them out loud slowly and picture them. I repeat the list until the feeling passes. It takes practice and it may seem like it's not working at first, but after a while you will train your brain and it becomes almost automatic.
    Just my thoughts. I'm here for you.

Rabbit

BlueTyger likes this.
  9. BlueTyger

BlueTyger Active Member

That sounds good actually. I will try to think of things that ground, even though those aren't too many.

10. DowntheRabbitHole

Sometimes carrying something small(I have a stone) is helpful too. Whatever can connect you to the present.
    I'm so glad you reached out on SF. Suffering is bad enough. Suffering alone is worse. My opinion. In the short time I've been on here I have received so much compassion and caring.

Striking likes this.