Anxiety meds

foreverforgotten

Quiet Observer 🦋
SF Supporter
Anyone know of meds that helped you in the past for anxiety disorders. I would like to have something to take regularly, as well as something that would be fast acting for panic attacks.. Is that something a doctor will do? I've seen people say they have a different pill for emergencies.
I'm not sure the difference?

They tried Citalopram(only 10mg)for 1 month and didn't feel any different so I gave up. (I know that's bad, I just got fed up) Im trying to get back on something now.
My dad took sertraline(Zoloft)..

sinking_ship

woman overboard
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Citalopram and Sertraline are both SSRIs. They are generally good for generalized anxiety. It does take time though. The doctor will usually start you out on a dose that's not the full therapeutic dose so your body can adjust. There are quite a few drugs that are SSRIs if a particular one doesn't work well for you.

For immediate relief, yeah, clonazepam is probably the most common one. Doctors can sometimes be wary of prescribing benzos because of how habit forming they can be, but it's fairly common I think to give a prescription for as needed. Especially while you're waiting for the longer term meds to kick in.

Whatever your doctor prescribes though, it's best to ask them before making changes on your own.

foreverforgotten

Quiet Observer 🦋
SF Supporter
Ah... Maybe its because the emergent meds are benzos..thats why my doc never mentioned it as an option...is Zoloft a heavy duty SSRI?

Sleeper71

Doctor first started me on Buspar, did absolutely nothing. Now I’m on Klonopin and they’ve definitely helped the anxiety but they also really ramped up my depression and suicidal thoughts. I cut the pill in half and spread them out throughout the day and that seems to be working the best for me.

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Doctor first started me on Buspar, did absolutely nothing. Now I’m on Klonopin and they’ve definitely helped the anxiety but they also really ramped up my depression and suicidal thoughts. I cut the pill in half and spread them out throughout the day and that seems to be working the best for me.
I'm glad you've found what works for you but just wanted to let you know you will build up a tolerance and need higher doses so use them sparingly. Delighted you've found something that 'clicks' for you :)

Sleeper71

I'm glad you've found what works for you but just wanted to let you know you will build up a tolerance and need higher doses so use them sparingly. Delighted you've found something that 'clicks' for you :)
Yeah that’s what I’ve read and am a little worried about, but I’ll take it while I can!! Most meds I don’t react very well to, especially for my depression. I can’t seem to find one for depression that does much at all.

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Yeah that’s what I’ve read and am a little worried about, but I’ll take it while I can!! Most meds I don’t react very well to, especially for my depression. I can’t seem to find one for depression that does much at all.
Yeah, tolerance to benzodiazepines builds up rapidly which is why they are only for short term use, and as needed use. Take then when you REALLY need it and try and take some breaks from whenever possible.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
I would like to have something to take regularly
I found Buspar to be really effective actually. Sleeper up there is saying that he didn't dig it - just shows that every medication works differently for each person.
Buspar is (I believe) the only medication made for anxiety that's made to be taken daily that isn't a benzo (and therefore also addictive). I have really liked it a lot.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00