Anxiety/nerves or both?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by betteroffunknown, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. betteroffunknown

betteroffunknown Well-Known Member

Over the past four months, for the first time ever (that I'm aware of) I've been having issues, and I'm not sure if it's anxiety, nerves or maybe a combo of both. These began after a significant trauma, so I'm pretty sure these things are a result of it. I can only share what I'm experiencing, but beyond that I'm not sure what's going on.

I do plan to see my primary doctor next week (Fri) about this, but wondering, for those with experience with either of these, if you would mind sharing your insights. I'm thinking they're very possibly two different things, but just not sure. I realize you're not doctors, but guess I'm just putting feelers out there as to what I might expect to hear from my doc.

Now, I've been having random moments when I have thoughts (hard telling which ones trigger this) where I feel this tenseness through me. Sometimes it also leaves me feeling a bit naucious (but not every time) although I haven't gotten sick when that happens even though there have been times when I've really hoped I would. I don't feel any extra energy or anything of that nature. Simply put: It's just like someone has turned the light switch to my nerves on; that's it.

Now the other part is when I think I'm feeling anxiety. I feel a massive surge of energy rushing through my body (different than the possible nerve issue), and I can't sit still to save my life. My thoughts run rampidly, and usually leaves me feeling like I want/need to climb a wall. Basically it leaves me feeling like I'm about to lose my mind - wondering when it's going to end. These times last longer than the one listed above. I never feel naucious during these times, though.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Can you tell me what I 'might' expect to hear from my doc?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
  2. texaskitty

texaskitty SF Friend and Antiquities Friend Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

Hello there! Its good to see you again. I am really not sure what to say about your symptoms except that I am sorry you are experiencing this, it almost sounds like Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, which a GP wouldn't be qualified to treat.

Do you have a psychiatrist or a therapist? I'm assuming not since you are going to a GP. I hope your GP can help and/or refer you to mental health professionals that can help.

PM me anytime.

3. betteroffunknown

betteroffunknown Well-Known Member

Hi, Angie!

It's REALLY good to see you, too!! It's been a long time, and it's nice to see a familiar face! Thank you for your kindness to share!!! :)

I do have a therapist. Just met with her yesterday, and she seems to think I might only need a couple more months of it (at every 2wks). She said we will revisit how long I do this, though, at the end of the 2mon. Interestingly enough I only started a tad over a month ago, too. It might be a smidge longer than that, but suffice it to say I haven't been back in therapy for very long.

I mentioned to her what I'm experiencing, but she didn't have much to say. She was very supportive of the idea of my talking to my GP, though. I believe it's important to rule out anything else that could be going on which is why I'm starting with my GP, but given the timing (amongst other things) I strongly believe this is associated with recent events.

This past week I was unexpectedly put on a halter monitor, too. Tues, within 15min of waking up, my new artificial valve, that was put in last May, started ticking insanely fast (it normally ticks just like the second hand on a clock), and I've been having more palpitations than norm recently, too. I actually wasn't worried about any of this, but a couple hours later I thought maybe I should call my nurse at my cardiologists office to see if these were things I should be concerned about. My nurse asked me if I could go in to their office that day. He made a point of saying that it'd be cheaper to make an office visit than an ER one. I won't get the results of the monitor back till Mon or Tues.

I have regular things I'm involved in, but with these things going on - especially the nerves and anxiety issues (?) they've been keeping me from doing them - at times, and it's especially important to remain engaged in these activities and for reasons beyond just myself. I'm working as quickly as I can to address everything including the physical issues. Right now I've gotten to the point mentally that I can block out the trauma so I can be engaged in the activities, but unfortunately the physical stuff still remains which is posing the greatest problem atm. I wasn't hurt physically in the trauma, but my body seems to be re-living it over and over despite anything I'm doing. (Thoughts are impacting the nerves and anxiety, but it's not looking like they are directly impacting the heart. However, I'm still suspecting the stress of all this is.)

During the assessment I did to get back into therapy the guy doing the assessment mentioned to me that I did have some symptoms of PTSD, but didn't specify which ones he was identifying. This wasn't a diagnosis. It was just his observation/assessment. At this point this all feels like a big jig saw puzzle that's slowly being pieced together which is creating its own anxiety in and of itself!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.