Anxiety triggered by school

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by daredhead, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daredhead

daredhead Well-Known Member

I have to go back to school tomorrow (after two weeks of vacation). I have been extremely nervous about it, and my anxiety is really bad right now. I know that school has triggered my anxiety in the past, but is seems to be getting worse and worse.

Once I'm back to school for even just a day, I'm fine. But, leading up to that day, I'm a nervous wreck. I like school, but after being off for a while, I don't want to go. Any ideas to why this happens? I myself am not sure why school would make me anxious or nervous, it just happens.

2. Kunera

Kunera Well-Known Member

I can't say I really like school myself, but I have to go tomorrow, too. Not looking forward to it. Until tomorrow, I'll be completely and utterly bothered by the thought of having to return tomorrow.

I'll probably try to distract myself with a video game here after a while, but it never really works. Plus, when time flies and I realize how late it is, it doesn't really help either.

3. daredhead

I barely slept last night, but now I'm fine. I went (I have to leave the house at 6 am), I took the two remaining finals, and I was done. I still can't figure out why I got so worked up over today.....

4. xpsyuvz

xpsyuvz Active Member

Back when I went to school, I'd feel anxiety sensations just previous to any end of any holiday period.

I'm not a student any longer, but I get similar sensations whenever I realize I have to drive to work in 12-24 hours.
    My main comfort is that with caffeine pills I seem to be able to go about 4 days without sleep, and still function okay.

Feeling more and more like a nervous wreck seems to be a general trend, (...where death seems relieving -- even though that's not what I'm into).

5. kidB

kidB Active Member

Is it possible that it's social anxiety? I'm not sure what about school bothers you - seeing everyone? That was me deal.

If not, I think it's probably more general than that. If it's any comfort to you, go in to school realizing that you have absolutely no one to impress, and only your own agenda to accomplish. Remember this: It's school. What's the worst that could happen?

I'd be happy to discuss this more, i've suffered from anxiety for a long time myself.

6. daredhead

I have no problems with the social aspect of school. I think a few of my teachers freak me out to a point that the idea of school itself gets to me. I also think it has something to do with the building itself. I'm not sure why, but the building freaks me out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.