Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by AlohaJay33, Apr 24, 2016.

1. AlohaJay33

AlohaJay33 Member

I'm sorry if this isn't the particular place that this should be posted. I looked around quickly but I didn't see a specific area for anxiety in the time I looked but I needed to post quickly.

I've been more or less doing a lot better with anxiety lately. Here and there I have struggled for a little bit but it usually passes. Right now my anxiety is creeping up and I've been trying things to calm it down before I end up in a full blown anxiety or panic attack. I've been doing breathing exercises, keeping myself occupied with stupid tasks, listening to music, playing with my pets, etc. I'm not sure what else I should do.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other ways to calm anxiety?

Again, apologies if this post is in the incorrect place. I just needed to get something written down quickly.

Thanks for reading
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi @AlohaJay33 Get outside into the fresh air and take a walk and take pictures on your phone as you are walking of flowers, animals etc... this can be very relaxing. You could also try going to the cinema to take your mind off things, look up meditation tapes on youtube and do them too. I hope your anxiety eases off soon, a warm bath and hot chocolate can help too as can putting lavendar oil on your pillow. Hugs x
  3. AlohaJay33

AlohaJay33 Member

Thank you for your suggestions, and thanks for moving the post.

my heart is racing. feels like it's beating out of my chest.
  4. Petal

You are welcome hun.

Get a paper bag and breathe into it, it will help the hyperventilating aspect of the panic attack. Was there a trigger to this attack or was this generalised? Either way, we are here for you :) I hope the panic attacks ease off soon,they are not nice.
  5. AlohaJay33

AlohaJay33 Member

I, unfortunately, do not have a paper bag. Trying to do breathing exercises and keep myself distracted. I'm trying and failing
  6. Petal

No paper pharmacy bag or fast food bag? Keep the deep breaths going and keep in mind that this will pass soon. Do you have any PRN (as needed) medication to take?
  7. AlohaJay33

AlohaJay33 Member

No, there are no bags unfortunately. I have somewhat of an OCD issue with cleanliness and clutter. I've been talking to my psych the last few sessions about the anxiety amping up, no medication yet but it's been discussed somewhat both for sleep and anxiety.

I know that this will pass, which usually gives me some comfort, just seems to be staying steady at the moment.
  8. Petal

Glad you could be started on anti anxiety medications. I really can relate as anxiety is my biggest issue. I'm on 4 meds for anxiety alone. Maybe I'm over medicated slightly but I am stable and doing well. For future instances, keep some paper bags around, for now keep repeating ''this will pass'' in your mind. Watch TV, phone a helpline, e-mail the samaritans, write, draw, make a post in members diary to document your thoughts. I really hope you feel better soon. No one deserves to feel this way.
  9. AlohaJay33

AlohaJay33 Member

Thanks for your help, Petal. I'm trying. I know it will pass. it WILL. Heart is still racing, breathing is slowed but now I feel nauseous on top of it all.

I will get some bags to have around. I'm thinking medication will be key. The anxiety has progressively gotten worse over the last couple of months. It has always been there but certainly not to this extent.
  10. Petal

Medication might be the key, who knows! Valium is what I take if I feel a panic attack coming on and it helps tremedously, I'm on a large dose because I have grown a tolerance to it but it's very fast acting and makes me forget what I was even worried about. Other drugs in this category are klonopin and xanax, but be careful, they are all addictive. Some anti depressants such as lexapro or zoloft have anti anxiety uses too, so you could benefit from being on either of those. I hope you get the help you need and hope for! No need to thank me, you being safe is thanks enough!
  11. AlohaJay33

AlohaJay33 Member

I'm trying to stay safe. In the past when I've gotten attacks like this I've used ways to cope that I'm not proud of. Sometimes a part of my mind that's not exactly rational takes over and I make stupid choices. I'm hoping this subsides before I get to that point. It seems to be coming in waves.. As soon as I think it's subsiding it ramps back up. I can't seem to get it to completely go away.
  12. lifetalkz

lifetalkz Well-Known Member

I was crippled by anxiety attacks for many years-sometimes to the point where I couldn't function on a daily basis. I haven't had an attack in almost a decade now-my approach to healing had nothing to do with medications. I found that drugs actually prevented me from getting past the problem so I flushed them down the toilet. Instead of trying to trick my mind into thinking that everything was fine (when I knew that it wasn't) I went straight to the source of my anxiety. In my case it was the feeling of being completely powerless.

I was a control freak who didn't trust people or myself. I wanted to control everything and everyone around me so that I would never be hurt or humiliated. The more powerless I felt-the more anxiety I felt washing over me and taking control. I was powerless once when I was a kid-I got caught up in a messy divorce between my parents. I was treated like an object that had no thoughts or feelings-it was really bad for years and it never left me. To begin to heal the damage I had to work hard on always remembering that what happened was in the past and no one was trying to overpower me now. It took a lot of time and patience but I am completely healed from attacks of anxiety today-I hope that my story has helped you in some way.
  13. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

Hi hun, how are you feeling today?

Anxiety is awful, and can be difficult to battle alone. Are you getting any help?

There's lots of great suggestions in this thread!

I usually have 3 methods... and I don't know if any of these can help you, but it's worth a go I gather...

1: My personal breathing technique, I put a hand on my chest and focus on moving it with my breathing.

2: My therapist suggested the 'Butterfly Hug' for sadness and I found it helps for anxiety too... you cross your arms over your chest; and in a very slow pace tap your fingers into your upper arms, one by one... the cross stimulation has some calming effect on your brain

3: this one works better for my BF than it does for me... the 'grounding' method.
    You start with finding 3 things you can see, describe them to yourself... size, colour, shape, etc?
    2 things you can touch, describe the feeling... rough, smooth, cold, warm, etc?
    1 thing you can smell or taste, describe the smell/taste... if you manage to taste something then note the texture...