Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by SadDude87, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SadDude87

SadDude87 Well-Known Member

Just wondering what precisely gives you anxiety?

Just felt like adding another reason I have withdrawn myself from society/friendships for the past 2 years.

I feel anxious around people when I have to perform some kind of practial task. It stems from when I was little, I was helping my Grandad fix a motorbike .... and I never understood his instructions. He got really impatient, didn't want anything to do with me etc. Even at that age (about 9) I felt like a failure, not being able to help 'fix' things like all the males in the family could. And for some reason this one seemingly innocuous event stayed with me. I was always more adapt with either pure physical prowess like running or strength related activities etc or language, general social and philosophical problems etc. I have never been very practically minded at all.

It's got to the point where, for example I'm not even comfortable setting up a VCR around someone. I mean it's a simple task and I can do it. But the anxiety hits when someone is watching me. I fret about stuffing it up, not knowing what to connect where and even though I can do it .... my heart races, my mind clouds and I forget what I'm doing. It's pretty pathetic.

It's fucking embarrassing and so stupid. I try and try to fight it, but the more I am conscious of it the worse it is.

I don't know just wanted to share.
  2. Fishman

Fishman Guest

I don't know what gives anxiety...your body gets really hot and feels like its going to explode.
  3. middleofnowhere

middleofnowhere Well-Known Member

I can't speak as an expert, but I can speak from personal experience. I feel an anxiety attack when I'm in a tense situation or when I remember/relive a traumatic event or when I feel as though I'm going to be abandoned or when I'm experiencing some other fear.

I think that as I've identified the triggers, I've been able to prepare myself in advance and can recognize the anxiety for what it is. These things help me deal with the anxiety without totally losing it.

I imagine that every one of us has different triggers. Naming them and using coping skills keeps anxiety from taking over our lives.

4. Angelo_91

Angelo_91 Well-Known Member

your exactly like me saddude87, or i think.

theres always time to overcome it if we try.
  5. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I have crippling anxiety attacks sometimes. Feels like something awful is going to happen. I don't know what causes it either but I wish I knew how to stop them from happening.:blink:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.