Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Borrowed time*, Sep 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borrowed time*

Borrowed time* Well-Known Member

Just a quick question for any one who suffers from anxiety and how to cope. I have not been diagnosed with having anxiety but sometimes i just feel extremely anxious. The best way to describe it is i feel like there is a lump in my stomach and throat, i start to sweat, shake, get nervous like a feeling of impending doom. I know the types of situations i get like this in but im starting to feel like its taking over my life. Iv been an avoider for as long as i can remember but its getting worse. I realised yesterday when i left my bedroom i had the same feelings. I only really feel safe in my bedroom, i dont want to become a hermit. Im already a social recluse. So my question is what methods do people use to try to combat this?
    Thank you for any advise
  2. yous

yous Well-Known Member

I'm getting the case right now. My symptoms are throwing up, having this electricity feel all over my body like I'm being electrocuted, high heartbeat, extreme tiredness, a sense of impending doom nails the description. Like your life is being threatened.

Honestly I don't know how to recover this but to just let it happen and wait for it to pass. To be specific, ask yourself what is making you feel anxious? Literally define it, then try your best to remove it. For me, I can't remove what is making me anxious, so the only way I cope is to sleep a lot. And to avoid anything else from making it worse. Typically when I do this however, it leads to depression also. It's like say, a job is making me anxious. Well I need the job. So I can't get rid of it. Then it leads me to think how incompetent I am, etc so I get depressed and anxiety shoots back around again. All I can say is take lots of rest, try to do something else that you love that keeps your mind off. Exercise the nerves away.
  3. Borrowed time*

Thank you for the advise.
    There isnt anything i enjoy doing anymore. I literally wake up, go to work, come home and then go bed. Weekends i spend in my room. I could try the exercise but i get bored with exercising for no reason even if i tell myself its healthy. If i have to go on a 5 mile walk to get some where ill do it, if i try the same thing on a treadmill or a bike i give up.
    Im hoping when i go back to work next week it will ease if i have some thing to occupy my time. I know what you mean about the job, im only there as i need the money oterwise i would leave. There really nice people but i dont like people to touch me or get in my personal space which every one there seems to love doing. Im constantly breaking out in nervous sweats at work even though iv told a lot of people and move away if they get too close they still do it.
  4. yous

yous Well-Known Member

I am so much like this. So believe me I understand your pain. And I don't like exercise either. The exercise is not to be healthy in this case. Its to wear you out until the anxiety feeling transfers to the tired muscles--basically knocking yourself out in a matter of speaking. But I hate exercise too and so I don't always do this myself to relieve anxiety. Most people would say learn something new, do something new, but with lack of motivation how can this happen.

So how about this, do something that you would not normally do but does not require any energy out of you. I tried this recently and it help a little. I don't normally listen to rap music. But I did this and it required no effort on my part. I just went to youtube and watched a bunch of artists I knew of. It helped keep my mind off of my life for a bit while it explored a new territory I wouldn't have normally done. I did this a while back. I don't normally watch talk shows like Ellen or Letterman, but I decided to just watch a few online of celebrities I could care less of, and just watching them helped me laugh a little, and keep my mind off. Something to this effect.

Like I said, it's hard to rid the anxiety, sometimes you just have to let it go through you.
  5. Borrowed time*

That sounds like a good idea, it it certainly wont hurt to try :thanks:
    Now just got to find something different to do
  6. Withdrawn

Withdrawn Well-Known Member

I'm diagnosed with anxiety and used Fluoxetine for four months. It didn't work very well for me.
    Nowadays I spend time with my pets. And that helps me, at least a little bit. :showoff:
  7. Leelee

Leelee Member

Hi Sunny. From what you said ("there isn't anything I enjoy doing anymore") it sounds like you might have depression as well as anxiety. A lot of anti-depressants double as anti-anxiety medications, so a lot of the time, taking care of your depression will clear up your anxiety as well. If your panic attacks aren't very frequent, a psychiatrist might just prescribe something like xanax, which you take when you start to feel panicky to help you relax.

If you don't want to see a psychiatrist, you could try meditation. I know it sounds silly, but it helps to control your breathing and heart rate. If you just google "meditation" there a lot of websites to get you started. In the meantime, if you start to hyperventilate, try breathing into a paper bag.

I hope some of that helps. You can message me anytime if you're feeling anxious and you want to talk.
  8. Borrowed time*

I have plenty of pets but thinking i cant or im not taking care of them properly is one of the situations when i get anxious. Im thinking of giving them to better homes until i get my head straight.
    Thank you

Iv read alot about depression and i really dont think i have it. I dont have panic attacks, just a nervous feeling, if im at home i retreat to my bedroom. If im at work i either put up with it or go sit in the toilet for 10 mins for a breather depending on how bad it is.
    Meditation does not sound stupid and ill deffinately look into it. As long as i dont have to get on the floor in weird positions as ill get stuck :lol!:
    Thank you all for the advise
  9. mulberrypie

mulberrypie Well-Known Member

i am overcoming my shyness and social anxiety by forcing myself into social situations. it's difficult at first, a nightmare even, but gets easier, trust me. facing your fears is the only way you'll overcome them. you're right, the longer you stay couped up the harder it will be. now, depending on how severe your anxiety is, you may have to take this very, very slow because you don't want to risk having a panic attack. i hate to sing this old tune but its prolly best you see a psych and work on a game plan together. HTH!!!
  10. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

I experience the same problems as you. My anxiety gets so bad sometimes that I don't go anywhere but work for weeks. Now one thing I have found that can help is when you get into a social situation and you find yourself having issues with your anxiety then its a good idea to try and find a way to get away from everybody for just a couple minutes and just try to do some deep breathing to try and get yourself calmed down. Maybe even close your eyes to fully focus on your breathing. And as lemoncookie said... it helps to also put yourself in those social situations. it can help you to overcome your social anxiety problems.
  11. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

There isn't really any quick fix for anxiety... just wait it out and breathe. Sometimes counting in your head will help.
    Distracting your mind, or doing something with your hands will help sometimes.

Look into cognitive behavioral therapy if your anxiety is severe. Having daily panic attacks isn't fun; and the only way to change it is to train your mind not to be anxious of daily things by continuing to do those daily things that freak you out so much.
  12. yous

yous Well-Known Member

I have extreme social anxiety that its not even funny. The only thing I was able to do in such forced, uncomfortable situations was to BREATHE. I mean I try to think not to care so much, but I try to remain calm and breathe. It's real hard. I wish we didn't have to be forced in such situations. I hate the fear feeling.
  13. Young suicider

Young suicider Well-Known Member

How do I cope with anxiety???

WoW I honesly just put up with it.

I have trouble breathing because of it and it was really really bad Monday.And I had to run and by the time I was done the lack of oxygen made my lungs Hurt.

I can't do much
  14. Borrowed time*

Its getting worse. Im not having panic attacks but im getting really nervous of things for no reason.
    At work if any one looks at me i start to panic and start shaking. The deep breathing isnt working, i feel sick all the time.
    I cant talk to people, every one is so nice to me but i cant talk to them.
    Iv got a hospital appointment for the 8th of October and every time i try to ask my manager if i can come in late for work i get nervous and just dont do it. I know i have to do it but i just cant.
    People come near me, talk to me i cant cope with it, i just bottle up.
    One of my managers gave me a compliment today, luckily it was over the phone but i just froze. I wasnt sure if he was being sarcastic or not. As you can imagine there was an awkward silence.
    I want to quit my job as im really bad at it but last time i tried they had a load of meetings with me and i gave in and stayed. I hate being the centre of attention.
    Today i had to force myself to stay at my desk, i wanted to hide in the toilets and either cry or hit something. Im panicking for no reason.
    I dont know what to do any more.
  15. kezzygirl

kezzygirl New Member

hi, firstly what u are experiencing is anxiety attacks,not panic attacks like others have said.cbt is very effective in the treatment of anxiety...i am a cognitive behavioural therapist.

focus upon the thoughts that u are having when u feel these symptoms.visit your dr so that you can get some real help.good luck
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.