anxiety?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by spiritxfade, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spiritxfade

spiritxfade Well-Known Member

Mostly to do with people. I hate being in the middle of a crowd. It makes me nervous and afraid of everyone around me. I can't look out the window of a car or even walk down a street that has people without feeling really scared, like someone is going to attack me or someone I care about. It's sort of ridiculous. For example, I think that the guy sitting at a street corner with a sign asking for money is going to reveal himself as a suicide bomber or the lady holding her baby is going to pull out a gun and start shooting me or someone I'm with. I'm constantly afraid of that, but nothing like that has ever happened before.

Whenever I talk to people outside of the few I'm close to, I always think they have ulterior motives in talking to me. They want something from me. They're trying to gain my trust so they can use me. They want to hurt me. I can't convince myself otherwise. I can't trust them no matter how much I want to.

I don't like being with a lot of people, because I'm afraid that one person will distract me and another will harm me while I'm distracted.

I just feel like everyone's out to hurt me, whether by hurting me directly or hurting me through hurting the people I care about.

If I'm expecting to see someone and they're late or there's a lapse in communication and they aren't where I think they'd be, I freak out until I get conformation that they're definitely a hundred-percent okay. I always think the worst: that they died in an accident, that someone is hurting them, that they're in trouble.

None of this has really happened, but I still worry about it constantly.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

It must be so terrible hard for you to be so anxious and paranoid all the time
    I hope your doctor has ordered you some meds for this as it can be treated.
    I am on meds for my anxiety and it does help. If you are on meds then maybe they need to be adjusted some or changed. Ihope you can get this under control so you don't have to live like this Talk to your doctor okay tell them how bad it is so you can get proper help hugs

3. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

It's good that your psychologist is working on mindfulness with you, because I think that is a key tool in keeping anxiety at bay.

The reason you're feeling this way is due to your mind being all over the place and being anywhere but in the present. You see someone who looks suspicious, and automatically they're out to get you. Try to observe without judging - it's just a homeless man, nothing more.

Nonjudgmental Stance may be something worth trying.

4. sweep

sweep Well-Known Member

im sorry u feel like this :( me to, i could have wrote what u said, i have terrible anxiety. i wish i knew how to combat this cos i would tell u to, its such a cruel thing to have :(

5. petersen

petersen New Member

Whenever I am out of something I close, I always think they have ulterior motives to me to talk to people. Because you are feeling like this all over your being anywhere but at present being due to the mind.

6. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I often suffer similar anxious thoughts and I attribute most of it to my OCD. OCD isn't only about compulsively washing your hands or checking the oven repeatedly to see that it isn't burning your house down.

There is often much overthinking social situations and "OCD paranoia" which makes a sufferer always on the alert for danger- especially the ill intent of others. I hope you find what is causing your distressing thoughts and get relief.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.