Anxiety

Status
Not open for further replies.

aki

Been kind of struggling with this more recently - apart from the social anxiety which I've always had. Just lying in my bed unable to breathe properly and ruminating constantly, also clenching my jaw, which I would do for hours at a time, which is probably affecting my teeth. And nothing in particular is causing this.

Is there any way to treat this? I've tried some meditation/breathing exercises but they make me feel worse, they don't help. Being aware of my breathing makes me panic a bit. Any suggestions?

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hey Aki, have you tried drinking valerian tea? It helps sometimes. I know how bad anxiety can get if its left untreated, could you talk to your doctor about anti anxiety meds?

aki

Hey Aki, have you tried drinking valerian tea? It helps sometimes. I know how bad anxiety can get if its left untreated, could you talk to your doctor about anti anxiety meds?
Hey, I haven't tried that, thanks for the suggestion. I remember you told me about it ages ago, I tried to buy some but the woman in the shop wouldn't sell it to me, she didn't believe I was over 18? (maybe it was 16 even). But yeah I'll try a different shop this time :p

I feel a bit scared about talking to doctors about this kind of stuff, I've mentioned it before and they haven't really done much...I'm just scared of being thought of as an attention seeker. I might mention it at my appointment next week, though I don't expect anything out of it. Just curious, what meds would be prescribed for anxiety?

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
The medications that are normally prescribed for anxiety are benzodiazepines (xanax, valium, ativan,bromazepam). They are VERY good and work immediately. It's worth talking to your doctor about, you could save yourself a lot of problems. You won't be seen as an attention seeker and if your doc thinks you are, then you should switch docs :P gl :)

aoeu

Those are acute anxiety meds, more for panic attacks. It sounds like you'd be better served with chronic ones, which tend to be antidepressants at exceptionally low strengths. Chamomile tea is very effective, I've never tried valerian though but I think I will.

aki

Those are acute anxiety meds, more for panic attacks. It sounds like you'd be better served with chronic ones, which tend to be antidepressants at exceptionally low strengths. Chamomile tea is very effective, I've never tried valerian though but I think I will.
I have tried antidepressants but they didn't do much for either my depression or anxiety.

icequeen

hi aki...regarding antidepressants, you may have to try a few different ones to find one that works for you, i was on a few before i found one with least side effects but tbh it didnt stop the clenching.

i clench jaw a lot when i am over anxious and it drives me mad, you can get a shield from your dentist and this is supposed to help, cant remember the medical explanation for it now...i havent had one made, but i know someone that did and it worked...and each time it started again...just pop it back it. i have just recently had check at dentist as i was worried about teeth but so far ok...but you can do a lot of damage...so i would suggest your dentist and your doc to try another med...no need to feel silly its a damn annoying problem. gl

aki

hi aki...regarding antidepressants, you may have to try a few different ones to find one that works for you, i was on a few before i found one with least side effects but tbh it didnt stop the clenching.

i clench jaw a lot when i am over anxious and it drives me mad, you can get a shield from your dentist and this is supposed to help, cant remember the medical explanation for it now...i havent had one made, but i know someone that did and it worked...and each time it started again...just pop it back it. i have just recently had check at dentist as i was worried about teeth but so far ok...but you can do a lot of damage...so i would suggest your dentist and your doc to try another med...no need to feel silly its a damn annoying problem. gl
Hey, I don't want to try them again, they don't help me. Also doctors won't even prescribe them to anymore. So I doubt they'll consider prescribing any other types of meds :/

Thanks, I should probably get my teeth checked out, and maybe tell them about the jaw clenching thing if there's a problem.

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
perhaps the dentist will suggest something to help protect your teeth. Also if you are on meds sometimes side effect of meds cause this so talk to your doc okay.

aoeu

For anxiety, ask for anxiety meds, not antidepressants. They'll prescribe different ones for anxiety than depression, but they're the same class of drugs.

For example, I took Remeron for anxiety, which is primarily an antidepressant - except I've never even heard of it used as an antidepressant.

Arthur523

I feel your pain aki. I've also been recently feeling increased anxiousness lately. Or I'll try to find a big fat bag of weed. Yeah...

I'll post back here if I get a script for benzos or some other type of anti-anxiety meds and let you know how it goes. My symptoms are the same as yours, so maybe I'll be of some help.

anti depressants in low doses work as anti anxiety meds.

Aki :hug:
I dont know how to help :(
I know your psychs/nurse are shit. have you tried xanax or anything strong?
I do eh, suggest meditation to people, but i understand the concentrating on your breathing freaking you out, did that to me too.
If you want to try, and dont feel oblieged, i can link a meditation link, its audio guided breathing meditation, and its not there to stop anxiety, tho it does do that, its more just to calm yourself inside.
May sound liek a load of shit, but it helps me.
:hug: miss you hun

aki

I'll post back here if I get a script for benzos or some other type of anti-anxiety meds and let you know how it goes. My symptoms are the same as yours, so maybe I'll be of some help.
Cool, I'd like to know how it goes.
anti depressants in low doses work as anti anxiety meds.

Aki :hug:
I dont know how to help :(
I know your psychs/nurse are shit. have you tried xanax or anything strong?
I do eh, suggest meditation to people, but i understand the concentrating on your breathing freaking you out, did that to me too.
If you want to try, and dont feel oblieged, i can link a meditation link, its audio guided breathing meditation, and its not there to stop anxiety, tho it does do that, its more just to calm yourself inside.
May sound liek a load of shit, but it helps me.
:hug: miss you hun
Hey, miss you too, hope you're well.

I borrowed a benzo off someone else a couple of times, it helped but I'm never going to get prescribed them. I don't want to ask directly really because it might come off like a drug addict. They basically seemed to have decided that my issues are all psychological, not biological, so meds aren't going to help...which is probably true. But it is still pretty hard when I'm having to restrain myself from jumping out the window during the bad times haha. Would be nice to have something to help me through that but they don't want to risk creating a dependency so I guess that's that.

Glad that I'm not the only one who has issues with the breathing thing...if you could link me that it would be great, thanks. I do believe in that stuff but I've just always found it impossible. Thanks for understanding :)

I don't want to ask directly really because it might come off like a drug addict. They basically seemed to have decided that my issues are all psychological, not biological, so meds aren't going to help...which is probably true. But it is still pretty hard when I'm having to restrain myself from jumping out the window during the bad times haha. Would be nice to have something to help me through that but they don't want to risk creating a dependency so I guess that's that.

Glad that I'm not the only one who has issues with the breathing thing...if you could link me that it would be great, thanks. I do believe in that stuff but I've just always found it impossible. Thanks for understanding :)
THIS STUPID COUNRTY! seriously. meds still help phsycologically cause shit. ffs. ugh
Smile :) love peace all taht crap.
you could try putting it in a way of; you cant cope with the anxiety to do anythign so you need somethign to help cope?
but you know my history pretty much mimic yours with getting on with psychs and doctors here, so i knwo how that could go down with them, its just a suggestion.

Yeah the breathing, teh psychologist i saw told me to do it, and I always tried to explain it didnt help, and he would say i was 'stressing' like hyperventalating, and I would say no, i was doing teh calm breathing and he just didnt listen (only down point of his - the breathing thing)
The meditation breathing technique i use to relax myself, is on this site;

http://www.buddhanet.net/audio-meditation.htm

This is teh file i use, its half way down and is titled as 'calming the body with breath'
http://www.buddhanet.net/mp3/huxter/huxter_calming the body with the breath.mp3

Its guided by a guy who sounds aistralian, and its just to help relax you. It doesnt work for everyone, but it helps me. it soothes. thast a good way of putting it :)

aoeu

That's bullshit. :\ No one on earth knows whether anxiety and depression are neurological or psychological - and they're probably not always one or the other.

That's bullshit. :\ No one on earth knows whether anxiety and depression are neurological or psychological - and they're probably not always one or the other.
Thats our lovely country aoeu. remember when i ranted about the therapist person? imagine the medical peopel :laugh:

aki

THIS STUPID COUNRTY! seriously. meds still help phsycologically cause shit. ffs. ugh
Smile :) love peace all taht crap.
you could try putting it in a way of; you cant cope with the anxiety to do anythign so you need somethign to help cope?
but you know my history pretty much mimic yours with getting on with psychs and doctors here, so i knwo how that could go down with them, its just a suggestion.

Yeah the breathing, teh psychologist i saw told me to do it, and I always tried to explain it didnt help, and he would say i was 'stressing' like hyperventalating, and I would say no, i was doing teh calm breathing and he just didnt listen (only down point of his - the breathing thing)
The meditation breathing technique i use to relax myself, is on this site;

http://www.buddhanet.net/audio-meditation.htm

This is teh file i use, its half way down and is titled as 'calming the body with breath'
http://www.buddhanet.net/mp3/huxter/huxter_calming the body with the breath.mp3

Its guided by a guy who sounds aistralian, and its just to help relax you. It doesnt work for everyone, but it helps me. it soothes. thast a good way of putting it :)
Cheers, I'll give it a go. And yeah, they don't really want to treat me, it's kind of sad. I should just disappear.

Thanks for your help :hug:
I know yeah...they've reached this conclusion because I don't have classic melancholic depression symptoms, loss of appetite, unable to smile, waking early, that sort of thing. And I didn't respond to anti depressants. Of course the only way to treat it is through SSRIs/SNRIs :rolleyes: I guess atypical depression isn't on their radar. And the anxiety is sort of brushed over.

Its hugely brushed over.

Only looking back now, my being house bound for 2years is niether healthy not possitive and it wouldnt have been for anyone. and they did nothing for it. Theyre a tiny bit useless here.

And no El, no disapearing. keep pushing, it can get better, and I want it to get better for you :hug:

Stranger1

Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend
Hey Aki, You can go to the pharmacy and buy teeth guards.. There for people who grind there teeth..They're a medium jell... They fit right over your teeth.. This might give you some release of the clinching..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00