Anxiety...

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by SaraRose, Oct 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaraRose

SaraRose Well-Known Member

So my depression makes me also anxious when I try to be sociable. So I was wondering for this weekend, what do you do to help calm the nerves. :huh:

2. JustFirefly

JustFirefly Well-Known Member

I faced this for so many years. I still do really. What i tend to do is try to get good sleep and i try to stay around someone i know really well. If im around one of 2 of my close friends my social anxiety seems to have disappeared. Its amazing. But without them i stop talking and start panicking...
    I think that medication would probably help me more. Same with therapy. But i think if your mentally prepared and tell yoruself you can and you can make small talk your probably making strides. I think you can do it. :3 Its quite tough, but im sure other poeple will have MUCH Better information then i have.

3. SaraRose

Thank you so much! I'm with my friend and we both have it, so we kinda help each other. Your post helps me sooo much. Now I feel like I can go out there and have fun today! Thank you!

4. JustFirefly

JustFirefly Well-Known Member

When i meet people i tend to drag my friend along because once they see me having fun and they get into it i feel much more comfortable. Im less anxious just because i have someone who understands me there. I know i have someone no matter what, so i cant lose. When they see it and join more often or not i can act more normal around them also. it works quite nice.

Go have fun today :3 Everyone deserves a good day :3 haha :3

5. pancake111

pancake111 Well-Known Member

I do the same thing!! When I'm with my best friend, my anxiety practically disappears. But when I'm alone, my anxiety is extremely high.

6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

I take xanax (prescribed of course). You should ask your doctor about something to help your anxiety/stress.

7. SaraRose

Oh thank you so much everyone! My friend was by my side the entire time except for the last 3 hours because she was too sore. BUT! I was still able to make small talk with someone sitting next to me eventhough I felt anxious! Ohhh heavenly day! HEE! I feel so proud of myself!

:stars:

And I am planning on asking (when my next paycheck comes since this trip is totally emptying out my accounts!) my doctor cuz I am so anxious over stuff!

8. spiritxfade

spiritxfade Well-Known Member

Great job!

Also, some antidepressants can also help with anxiety, I've been told. Lexapro does (that's what I'm on).

I hope things go well for you.

9. Severijn

Severijn Well-Known Member

Hi SaraRose. I've had depression and social anxiety for many years in my teens to young adulthood, but with a lot of reading and doing self-help I overcame it, and I'm pretty proud of that.

I'll just tell you some tips that have helped me. Maybe they are nothing for you, I understand that. But perhaps you can find something useful.

Lately I haven't socialized much because I'm studying a lot. And I noticed my social skills are becoming less. That reminds me that practicing social skills is always needed...

Anyway, these things worked for me:

1. Do Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. This stuff really works. It changed my way of thinking, and I learned good new habits. I recommend this.

2. I also did Self-Help and Self-Improvement. I read a lot of books about spirituality, depression, and social anxiety. I basically started treating myself and it worked really well. For example, here are a couple of self-help books: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ks&field-keywords=overcome+depression&x=0&y=0

3. Exercise and fitness. When you look good, you often feel good and confident. This made a big difference for me. Doing a sport, and signing up for a fitness club, can do a lot of good.

These three things really did me good. Maybe they can do you good too. Take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.