Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by SaraRose, Oct 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaraRose

SaraRose Well-Known Member

So my depression makes me also anxious when I try to be sociable. So I was wondering for this weekend, what do you do to help calm the nerves. :huh:
  2. JustFirefly

JustFirefly Well-Known Member

I faced this for so many years. I still do really. What i tend to do is try to get good sleep and i try to stay around someone i know really well. If im around one of 2 of my close friends my social anxiety seems to have disappeared. Its amazing. But without them i stop talking and start panicking...
    I think that medication would probably help me more. Same with therapy. But i think if your mentally prepared and tell yoruself you can and you can make small talk your probably making strides. I think you can do it. :3 Its quite tough, but im sure other poeple will have MUCH Better information then i have.
  3. SaraRose

Thank you so much! I'm with my friend and we both have it, so we kinda help each other. Your post helps me sooo much. Now I feel like I can go out there and have fun today! Thank you!
  4. JustFirefly

JustFirefly Well-Known Member

When i meet people i tend to drag my friend along because once they see me having fun and they get into it i feel much more comfortable. Im less anxious just because i have someone who understands me there. I know i have someone no matter what, so i cant lose. When they see it and join more often or not i can act more normal around them also. it works quite nice.

Go have fun today :3 Everyone deserves a good day :3 haha :3
  5. pancake111

pancake111 Well-Known Member

I do the same thing!! When I'm with my best friend, my anxiety practically disappears. But when I'm alone, my anxiety is extremely high.
  6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I take xanax (prescribed of course). You should ask your doctor about something to help your anxiety/stress.
  7. SaraRose

Oh thank you so much everyone! My friend was by my side the entire time except for the last 3 hours because she was too sore. BUT! I was still able to make small talk with someone sitting next to me eventhough I felt anxious! Ohhh heavenly day! HEE! I feel so proud of myself!

And I am planning on asking (when my next paycheck comes since this trip is totally emptying out my accounts!) my doctor cuz I am so anxious over stuff!
  8. spiritxfade

spiritxfade Well-Known Member

Great job!

Also, some antidepressants can also help with anxiety, I've been told. Lexapro does (that's what I'm on).

I hope things go well for you.
  9. Severijn

Severijn Well-Known Member

Hi SaraRose. I've had depression and social anxiety for many years in my teens to young adulthood, but with a lot of reading and doing self-help I overcame it, and I'm pretty proud of that.

I'll just tell you some tips that have helped me. Maybe they are nothing for you, I understand that. But perhaps you can find something useful.

Lately I haven't socialized much because I'm studying a lot. And I noticed my social skills are becoming less. That reminds me that practicing social skills is always needed...

Anyway, these things worked for me:

1. Do Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. This stuff really works. It changed my way of thinking, and I learned good new habits. I recommend this.

2. I also did Self-Help and Self-Improvement. I read a lot of books about spirituality, depression, and social anxiety. I basically started treating myself and it worked really well. For example, here are a couple of self-help books:

3. Exercise and fitness. When you look good, you often feel good and confident. This made a big difference for me. Doing a sport, and signing up for a fitness club, can do a lot of good.

These three things really did me good. Maybe they can do you good too. Take care.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.