Anxious

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Butterfly, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Got my first appointment with the psychotherapist tomorrow. It's and assessment session to see if he can work with me and help me on my way to recovery, but I still don't know what to expect. I can't stop thinking about it and I'm getting really bad palpitations and feel so sick. I have to get through work first. I'm just really nervous and hope it doesn't go badly like my appts with pdoc.

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hiyas hun, In my experience, psychotherapists are wonderful at making you feel so good. They may make you lay down or listen to a tape or initially they will probably want some background info. Mine wanted a list of the meds I was on, and diagnoses and we did relaxation for an hour and a half first time. It was superb and definitely made me feel unreal good. Do not worry at all, these people are trained to help us! Big hugs for you :hug:

3. Butterfly

I really hope so. I know they can't diagnose but I hope they can pick up one some of my behaviours so I can present it to my pdoc so I can get a proper diagnosis because I know I am not being properly treated. I just want to learn to manage my behaviours, especially impulsive behaviour because there is only so much meds can do. I need something in my brain to click and I need to confront some issues.

4. Petal

:hug: Yeah, I'm pretty sure they can assist your psych in helping with a diagnosis..and hopefully the psychotherapist will help you get treated properly. For you, this has been going on far too long.. you deserve better than this. Wishing you all the best xxx

5. Butterfly

I know hun :( I really need this sorting. I am so tired of feeling like this.

6. Butterfly

Just got back from my appointment. It went a lot better than I thought. I told him about what I wanted to get from his sessions, mainly to learn coping mechanisms for my behaviours and moods aswell as some other things. He said he wanted to explore my past, learn coping mechanisms and explore my relationships with my family members. I'm not quite sure what method of psychotherapy he is going to use, but he said it sounds like it is going to be a long process with all the stuff we need to address and get through. I told him about what I am experiencing and going through, told him about my psychs limited input amongst other things. He did not say it so clearly, but he said from what I am experiencing it sounds like a physiological mood disorder rather than dealing with something that can be resolved purely with talking therapies and I agreed with him. He then asked me if I thought I was Bipolar, I said I didn't know but I knew that it was not just simply depression or anxiety, that there was something else going on and that a lot of my symptoms did match Bipolar Disorder. He said from what I had told him, there seems to be clear cycles, and that events leading up to where I completely self destruct and when my impulsive behaviour begins, can be easily detected and he said he could work on recognising the signs early and dealing with them. He also said that if he needed to and felt like my psych needed to know any important details e.g symptoms or sensing the build up to a crisis, he would contact her, not give specific details but alert her to it as she has a duty of care to me. I agreed with this, as I feel what happens from these therapy sessions will be useful in giving me a proper diagnosis and the correct treatment.

I was happy with how this went, such a big relief. Maybe I can now FINALLY put my life back together. I really hope so.

7. Petal

Heyas, I am so so happy that your appointment went so well. The psychotherapist sounds genuinely caring and interested in helping you. Well done!!

8. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

I hope you find what you have been searching for Lexi! Congrats!

9. Theodora

Theodora Well-Known Member

So happy for you.