Any AA's on board?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by lavieenrose, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lavieenrose

lavieenrose New Member

Hi - I am an alcoholic and a drug addict and I go to AA. Anybody else in the program? I've been in and out of the program for 2 1/2 years now. Right now I have 19 days of clean and honest sobriety, have a sponsor, going through the big book and working the steps. (okay, well step one for now)

Know what this means? This means that I am more F***ed up than usual - because I dont have the liquor or drugs to dilute the fact that I hate myself too often for words.

So - just being blatant and honest. Any other AA's, give me a hollah, I'd love to know!!
  2. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

I am an AA member. At least I used to be. I havent gone to a meeting in over 2 weeks. I have fallen off the wagon hard.

I have been an alcoholic for a long time. But it didnt manifest itself to me until about 2 years ago. I didnt even know it was a problem until the day my wife left me.

I have been going to AA meetings since Sept 08. I had 4 months sobriety before I fell off the wagon.

And I really like to drink.
  3. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

I go to to AA; very important.
  4. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

I am going back on the wagon and will go back to AA next Monday. (Have to work during all meeting times this weekend). I suspect I will be eating a lot of crow.
  5. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Can I ask everybody... at what point did you realise you needed to go to AA? What was the breaking point or what were the activities in your life that you now realise led up to it?

I'm glad you guys are talking about this because I've been considering going to AA or something we have in London called ARP that I just read about.

Someone told me they think I'd be wasting my time at AA because I don't show the 'typical characteristics' or an alcoholic (waking up and drinking, drinking in the afternoons, usually drinking alone etc.) but I drink whenever I find alcohol in the house... I usually just wait for when I know I am going somewhere so I can be a bit more confident around the people that I am going to be with, I drink myself into a stupor when I meet up with friends at the pub, even if they are drinking in moderation, I drink until I pass out and do things that I can't even remember, like having sex with random idiots in alley ways or not remembering how I got home, getting myself arrested that sort of thing.

I mean - in my eyes, although I don't have an alcohol dependency I am abusing a substance all the same and I feel like I will fall off the wagon if I don't get some help for that.

What do they actually run you through at AA?
  6. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

Everybodies drinking habits are different. But if you can't stop at the first drink, and I dont mean, one after another after another. But like me for example...I have been drinking nearly everyday for the past 3 weeks. Right back into my old habits. I dont drink a lot daiily, but I am drinking everyday.

There are guys at AA that drink sometimes, or drink until they pass out.

Only you will know if you have a problem.

Now as for the other question, I knew I had a problem for sometime, but I ignored it. It wasnt until I hit rock bottom, ie my wife leaving me...that I started going to AA.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.