Any adults that cut?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by nrvsreck, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nrvsreck

nrvsreck Well-Known Member

I don't mean to sound condescending to the kids here, but are there any adults that cut? I'm 30 and just recently started. I did it for the first time last August and deeply regretted it. I was so ashamed. I felt even more suicidal after having done it. After receiving medication for depression about a month ago I suddenly felt the urge to do it again. Just out of nowhere. I've kind of avoided razors, actually, since then, but last weekend I just couldn't help myself. I cut all over. My left hand, left arm, both legs, and chest. I've had to wear sports tape (or whatever it's called) around my hand all week to hide the cuts. But this time I'm not ashamed. It somehow feels right. All these good feelings, all this acceptance of life... it doesn't seem right. I feel I have to reconnect to my misery. I have to reject the happiness in some way and this seems one way of doing it. I'm still consumed by pain, but no longer suicidal. The pain is abstract and has no clear focus. I feel I have some handle on this... perhaps a bit more understanding of myself than a teenager, but I wonder if I'm the only adult that does this.

And yes, I will follow up with the doc in a couple weeks. I still see no end in sight. :dunno:
  2. BelovedDreamer

BelovedDreamer Well-Known Member

Depends on where you draw the line for adulthood. I'm 21. I can join the army, drink, and I cut, or rather did, have, might yet again, but I'm not sure you'd rate me as an adult.
  3. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

Well I would BelovedDreamer.

I mean no offense to anyone here, I just always had the impression that really only teenagers cut? Of course I am probably completely wrong and apologize for my ignorance. :unsure:
  4. nrvsreck

Adults know who they are. I'm asking them. Honestly I still feel like a child myself much of the time, but I have no choice but to be caught in the world of "adult-hood". At only 30, am I really still just a boy. I really mean no offense at all, but I'm interested primarily in the opinions of those well beyond the teenage years.
  5. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I'm an adult.

The stereotype is that it is only teenages that cut but the truth is that self harm affects all ages/genders, etc.

If you want to talk feel free to pm me
  6. Cluster

Cluster Active Member

That's not true that only teenagers cut. That's like saying adults cannot get depressed, and that's not true.
  7. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

I have been self-harming/cutting/burning for about 10 years now. There are older people here who have SI problems..

I am here if you'd ever like to talk, take care hun, and I am glad you found SF. I am looking forward to getting to know you.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

--Carolyn :smile:
  8. Porcelain

Porcelain Well-Known Member

I went to a lady in her 40's that had self harmed.....cut her arm...I told her that it would require stitches and that it wouldn't heal on it's own so she came to the hospital. She seemed to find the whole thing hilarious and spent the journey laughing. I'm not sure if this was some kind of defense mechanism or something else or if she really did find the situation funny. Anyway, we dropped her off, handed over to the nursing staff and went back to work. 20 minutes later we took another patient in (incidently a patient that had overdosed) and I saw her walking down the road. She hadn't bothered to have it stitched and had self discharged about 10 minutes after we left her.
  9. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I'm the same as that lady, I laugh the whole time. It probably was a front and a defence and it made her feel protected.

There are certainly a lot of adult self harmers around, I think it just tends to be even more taboo than with teenagers.
  10. nrvsreck

Cool. That's what I was wanting to know. I Googled for it, but everything was about teens and parents and peer pressure and low self-esteem and on and on... I know why I do it, but it seems a bit disturbing that I now feel such a need for it. It's a great release, without resorting to suicide. Suicide isn't even on my mind these days, but I still feel a need to do something drastic. I guess this is it. I just need to quit cutting my hands and other parts that show and require an explanation of why I'm all bandaged up. ;)
  11. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

I think it depends what you define as an adult. Legally in the UK 18 is classed as an adult and im 19 so legally i am classed as an adult but i feel like a kid mentally lol.

Sorry im not much help lol, but guess i am an adult and do self harm but at the moment have stopped :smile:
  12. nrvsreck

I guess it's all cool. I don't care about legal definitions. You know whether or not you're an adult. I often still feel like a kid and overwhelmed by life, but I don't have any choice. I wasn't prepared for adult-hood, it was just tossed upon me and I have to accept it or die. Dying isn't an option right now, but some release must be found.
  13. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I am 43 and have struggled with cutting for many years. If you are looking for aomwonw to talk with about it, I am here. PM me. :hug:
  14. willgethere

willgethere Well-Known Member

I do too. I am 33 and have done for a while. Pm me if you want to chat. I keep trying to wean myself off it,
  15. Malcontent

Malcontent Staff Alumni

I'm one of the younger adults (21) and I cut. I think it's more common and "visible" in teenagers, but a lot of older people do it too. I also don't think anyone really knows whether or not they are an adult. It's not like you get great epiphany and can suddenly cope with all the shit, you just get different shit to deal with. Maybe that's part of your problem, you're expecting something of yourself that's never gonna happen and then feeling bad about yourself when it doesn't.

Take care
  16. ImInLovexx

ImInLovexx Guest

Im 15 and i cut, im not an, does that make me just another teen stereotypical emo? ..i kno my friends talk about me, they think im the way i am for attention, i hate would i be classified as?
    i hate hearing about the kids at my school cutting, because i kno some of them may be real with it, but a majority arent. most of them have no idea what its like to be this way. im not a confused teen, and im not a "misunderstood" a person in danger of suicide...
  17. sadsong

sadsong Staff Alumni

Hi, I'm 21 and although I haven't cut for a year and a half now i still consider myself a self harmer. (do you ever stop being a self harmer? is it like being an alcoholic, once one, you're always one?!?!)

anyway....there are a lot of adults who self harm, but it's even more hidden than the teenagers who do it. It's almost acceptable for teenagers to do it, as they're "finding themselves" and "can't express themselves". Yet adults are meant to have found themselves and be able to talk about how they're feeling and to have learnt other coping techniques. But it's just not true. People are more shocked to learn that adults self harm, it's far more taboo.

But there are plenty who do it, you really aren't alone. I'm sorry that you feel you need to cut, but please take comfort in the knowledge that you're not alone and that there others around to support you.

Take care
  18. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

I totally agree with you there!
  19. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

The way I see it, yes, there is that culture for teens, or 'emos' or whoeever, to cut, but whatever the reason for self harm, be it for attention, for fashion, because you are hurting inside, or whatever the reason, there is still an important issue that needs to be addressed.

If a person is feeling the need to hurt themselves then something is very wrong inside. It is not an issue of who is 'real' and who is not, because anyone harming themself is 'real'.

It sounds to me like your friends have very little understanding about the world of self harm and the inner pain and emotions that can bring it on. Have you tried talking to them and teaching them about it?
  20. jane doe

jane doe Well-Known Member

ok i´ll start from the beggining i´m female 18 yo. ok i know i´m a stereotipe and i know what are you going to say. But i think the reasons of si are the same for all of us, not caused for the same reasons but we feel similar when we do it. i know somebody here and i won´t say who is it, who cuts since 12 years and it´s a grown person, or adult how you want to say it. and this person feel exacly like me. so i think is not an age issue, i think is caused by experiences and is a way to let it all out. I thin i don´t do it for attencion because my parents doesn´t have any idea( and i do it since almost 4 years ago) now i feel addicted to it and i do it because i feel my body needs it. but that´s me...i ´m sure that some adult people feels this way, and that´s the reason of why they keep hurting themselves, don´t you think? . Take care and pm me if you need it. ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.