Any advice is appreciated

katyboots

What I used to be, a broken mirror is my reality
Hey everyone ive recently sustained a spinal cord injury which has left me paralyzed from the waist down and im possibly looking at being in a wheelchair the rest of my life. The doctors still have hope that there is a chance I could regain the use of my legs due to my injury is an incomplete injury. Im obvisiously not handling this news to well, i was hoping maybe someone has gone through something similar n could give some advice to someone who is really struggling right now. Xx katy

absured angel

While i have injured my spine, i haven't to that extent. If the doctors have hope of you recovering your movement I would personally hang on to that with every thing I had. Physical therapy has been shown to work amazing things on people who have a strong will to regain thier independence and have been told they will never walk again. I really hope for a full recovery for you. It defintly will take some time though.

Were all together

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hey Katy,
So sorry for what's happened to you. Sending prayers and good thoughts. I used to work in Rehab. And @absured angel is right, I've seen pretty miraculous things come out of there. I'll also tell you, it's very tough and mentally challenging. But, if you keep your goal to walk again, I truly believe you can do it. I've seen it. Since there's a chance, remember one thing. The mind is a wondrous organ. And, can do things you never imagined. But, you need the will to do it. And, if you can do this, you can do anything. We'll all be here to support you, every step of the way!!! ❤

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Katy, that's terrible what's happened, and I'm so sorry for what you're having to go through. At least the docs have not ruled out the possibility of you making a recovery, either full or partial, so for the moment nothing it seems is ruled out. As I've said before, try to take on each day as it comes and try to be as open minded as you can.
Obviously I don't know the extent of the fracture and the amount of pressure resulting on the affected spinal nerves, but I do hope that the docs will be able to do all that they can to help you in your recovery.

kdm

SF Supporter
hi katy i live in pittsburgh pennsylvania usa and we had a football player who got a spinal injury was paralyzed who is now making a recovery he is a really nice person i found this mail address "Mail to Ryan Shazier can be sent to him at this address: 3400 S. Water Street, Pittsburgh, Pa., 15203. allso his facebook https://www.facebook.com/RyanShazierOfficial/

maybe you can try to reach out to him

3fdc059211b47bfe035e87d920f89f0a.gif
wishing and praying for the best for you Katy

katyboots

Thanx shadow, i need people keeping me up right now cause im not doing such a good job of it myself xx katu

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Social Media
SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Katy, we are here to support you through this. I've seen some amazing things occur when people are determined enough. Fight through the physical therapy, as others have stated.

Livelife

SF Supporter
Hi @katyboots Incomplete is a big deal, there's Lots of potential and possibilities in that word related to spinal injury.....you didn't say the location of the injury, I am thinking you mean possibly just your legs, that you are not having any issues higher up .......or how recently it occurred.....what I'm going to say has undoubtably been said to you by the physicians and other medicals but it's hard to hear if you've just been injured and the situation is so new to you and you are possibly in pain, some shock and some docs sometimes don't have the best communication skills.....
so lots of factors can come into play; edema, location/severity of the injury to the nerves involved, coexisting issues, what some of your labs show and sometimes prior health status, how quickly you heal historically can even occasionally contribute... nutrition, committing to rehab when the time comes, attitude and healthy healing environment, what Shadowlands and Were all together said, and some patience and self love however that looks. And trusting who you are working with during the healing and recovery process. So much is being done in neurology........ so many prayers and xoxo

katyboots

thank you everyone that has takin the time to reach out to me, it means the world to me. My L1 and L2 vertebrae were fractured so loss of feeling n movement is only from my waist down i have no issues higher up. Thank you again everyone you guys here are are absolute heroes i love you all xx katy

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
i'm sorry I don't have much to offer than already has been said. but your attitude is extremely important. if they think it's possible that you can walk you have to fight as much as you can not only in pt but your mind also you have to convince yourself it can happen. i'm so sorry this happened and my heart goes out to you. mike *hug*hug

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$135.00
Goal
$255.00