Any advice on meds for anxiety please

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by katblack77, Feb 25, 2008.

1. katblack77

katblack77 Active Member

I am on anti depressants and beta blockers. I know how habit forming valium is and therefore my Dr's don't prescibe it. Is there any other type that you guys would recommend?What about any herbal remedies?

2. Dreamer uk

Dreamer uk Well-Known Member

You could try things like St. John's Wort, 5HTP and Omega3 as natural remedies.

I'm gonna start taking vitamin C supplements as well to see if they help.

I just take my sertraline SSRI and omega-3 at the moment.

I've only been on Zoloft for my anxiety/depression and it does help a lot.

What AD are you on?

3. katblack77

katblack77 Active Member

Hi Mark. I have tried a few anti d's-Prozac, Zoloflt, mirtazpine and now I am on Cipralex.

4. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

my Pdoc won't put me (back) on the benzo's for anxiety but put me on Neurontin instead, which seems to work, but the side effect of sleepiness is ruining my waking life. I sleep 'round the clock, it seems.

5. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

Ever heard of Klonopin)Clonazepam)? Less addictive than most benzodiazepines, so they say.
    Herbal?
    St. Johns Wort, Melatonin, Kava Kava Root. Those are the only herbal ones I know of.

Supposedly safe/nonhabit forming is dyphenhydramine.

6. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

WMW pls believe me, I'm not meaning to pick just to pick, ok :tongue: but clonazepam and alprazolam (Xanax) are just about tied as the most potent and addicting benzos on the market.

The rest, I just answered in the Depression forum, so here's pretty much a cut & paste for you. :)

Katblack, you're spot-on correct. Cardinal Rule is to avoid benzodiazepines for anything longer 7 to 10 days. There are some powerful mental techniques you can learn in therapy (and even teach yourself). Albert Ellis' famed "Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy" (REBT) is a giant in the field, and today's "cognitive behavioral therapy" is actually just techniques and principles advanced from REBT. (I actually studied a lot of this in the early eighties!!)

You also have some very interesting drugs nowadays like beta blockers (the most common of which is probably Inderal [propranolol]) which may help with some of your physical manifestations like shaking, quavering voice, and sweating.

Then there's good ol' gabapentin (Neurontin), which is seeing many new uses today, including for anxiety. There is a stronger, newer form of this called pregabalin, marketed under the trade name Lyrica for restless leg syndrome but will at the time allay your anxiety.

Hope this helps!

ToHelp

7. katblack77

katblack77 Active Member

Thanks for the info guys. Very helpful :smile:

8. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

They say certain SSRIs work for anxiety.

I disagree for the most part. They are very limited in their anti anxiolytic effects.

TBH, I think only benzodiazepines work.

9. Shadowplay

Shadowplay Staff Alumni

you're right there, but i take klonopin and when i started my doctor told me that they weren't as abusable/addictive. i think they get paid to say that, to keep you on em. :laugh:

10. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

*claps* You got it, Shadow! Kinda.

It's not as 'abusable' because there's no immediate onset of action as with Xanax or even Valium or Ativan.

Rather, it's a gentle curve, taking approx. 45 min. to begin working and has a long, long half-life--which is equally slowly eliminated.

However. This stuff is so addicting and strong that once you're free of it you can have all kinds of nasties including seizure if you cut back too fast (let alone cold turkey).

It can be a terrific maintenance benzo so long as you almost never plan to quit. Places like www.benzobuddies.org, www.benzo.org.uk, or www.benzoisland.org will scare the snot out of you if you visit, so.... you have to take them with a grain of salt if you visit (they're radical in their views; very "anti") but there's a bunch you can learn from them.

ToHelp

11. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Ha! Bob, you're likely right. One researcher I keep in touch with has said that the reason BuSpar and ADs just "don't seem to work" in people previously exposed to benzos is because they know what relief feels like and are unsuceptible to any placeba effect. :laugh: