any advice please

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by silentlyscreaming, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the closest friend to me in the world cuts herself..she knows that i dont like when she hurts herself and i want to know if anyone has advice on getting her to stop, because she might go to far one day and do something drastic..i dont know if she knows how much i care about her but i show it but that doesnt work..any advice anyone? much appreciated
  2. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

Getting her to just stop isnt going to do anything... you'd be a LOT better off finding out WHY she cuts first and working from there. So like what triggers it and maybe distractions that match her mood at the time... and also dont get angry at her if she does end up cutting, that doesnt help. Just try your best to be supportive and understanding of her I guess. Its all baby steps really.

3. Tak

Tak Active Member

I agree with TDM, if you try to stop her she might resent you for not supporting her. Try to talk to her and maybe suggest helping her through the times when she feels like she needs to cut by being there, tell her you are there no matter what.
  4. Lady Byron

Lady Byron Well-Known Member

I also agree with Tak. I started to cut myself a few months ago. You have no clue what kind of... what's the word... it's not really power that I feel. It's just it takes you away. You don't have to think about your problems for a while and the cutting makes you focus on something else. Taking walks helps calm me down and keeps me away from blades and stuff. Walking helps me clear my mind and look at things with a clear mind instead of a foggy one. I also think you should tell your friend how much she means to you. I don't have anyone telling me how much I mean to them very often. It kind of makes you feel special... I'm sorry about your friend...
  5. thank you everyone for your help
    no more advice necessary
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.