Any advice?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by *dilligaf*, Jun 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

My Mum and Dad divorced many years aago but they are still very close. Dad can drive, Mum can't ... Dad will often give Mum lifts etc. Mum helps Dad when he needs money etc ..

My Mum has a new bf - they've been together over a year now, my Dad isn't particuarly happy about it. Me and the bf get on really well and to begin with my Dad was really jealous of that, that seems to have eased off a bit now -touch wood-

The problem is .. We are selling my house .. In fact it is going on the market tomorrow .. And I am moving into a three bedroom house with my Mum and her bf .. we have put in an offer for the house we love, but no word on that as of yet ... How do I tell my Dad? I don't want to hurt him :sad:

2. Warm Hands

Warm Hands Well-Known Member

Do you think your dad maybe feels like he's being replaced in your life (perhaps even your mum's too..)?

Maybe just try and assure him that he isn't being replaced and it's just a living arrangment or whatever...

3. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

Tell him with reassurance that this new living arrangement isn't going to change the relationship between you two. Depending on how frequently you see your father, devoting a day (or more, whatever words) out of the week where you both spend time together might be a good idea.

4. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

Thanks both :)

I asked the estate agent not to put the for sale sign up til monday so I had time to talk to my dad .... Just woke up and they've done it already .. That's gonna make things awkward :dry:

5. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

Oh FFS :dry: do they ever listen! Can you maybe call him and say it to him before he comes to the house? Or would you rather do it face to face? I think he may be a little upset, but if you explain it to him in a calm way and reassure him that nothing will change between you he should be ok :hug:

6. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

I made my stepdad take the for sale sign down this afternoon so my Dad didn't see it ..

Then my Dad came round and I tried to talk to him about it, it took me ages to get the courage and when I told him .... his response??? "I know. Your Mother told me this morning" Like WTF! All that hassle for nothing! :laugh:

Thanks for all the help guys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.