Any Christians around?

Discussion in 'Positive Feelings and Motivational Messages' started by Shauna Lea, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Shauna Lea

Shauna Lea Staff Alumni

Hey guys!

I was wondering if there are any Christians making their way around SF...Maybe you could share your favorite piece of scripture or favorite christian song?

My favorite scriptures are:

- In GOD I trust, I am not afraid. What can mere man do to me? Psalms 56:11

- Now faith is being sure of what we hope for, being convinced of what we do not see Hebrews 11:1

God bless each and every one of you!
  2. necrodude

necrodude Well-Known Member

im no longer christian, but certain parts of the bible apply strongly to my life view...

e.g. "in the midst of life we are in depth."

ecclestiastes 7-9 "keep your temper under control; it is foolish to harbour a grudge."

in fact "the philosopher" is a good example of my current attitude almost (without the religious and age aspects)
  3. Shauna Lea

Shauna Lea Staff Alumni

Oh I like the first one...

May I ask why you are no longer a christian?

I'm the opposite - I was not brought up by the christian faith but have become a christian in the last year
  4. necrodude

i was brought up christian, but due to "events" i lost my faith. eventually i realised that all power/strength, etc. is natural, and everyone has an individual name for this concept/deity just as all humans are individual. one being cannot control all, life is in everyones hands not just their own. why believe in beings that have no proof of existence, when i can place my trust in humanity itself. god himself said "love thy neighbour as you love yourself" and the scriptures state "welcome all those who come to your tent, for how can mortal man discern divinity?" truth is god isnt one being. theres a bit of god (or goddess) within us all, and realizing that, not just accepting a book as gods word, but humanitys actions is gods will. but i say that from an agnostic viewpoint as from a christian perspective it may be viewed as blasphemy or heresy.
  5. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

In the scriptures, I love where God speaks directly to Job (Job chapters 38, 39, 40) when he was suffering and wanted to know why.

My favorite hymn is "Without Him."

Without him, I would be nothing.
    Without him, I'd sure fail.
    Without him, I would be drifting.
    Like a ship without a sail.

Oh Jesus, Oh Jesus.
    Do you know him today.
    Please don't turn him away.
    Oh Jesus, Oh Jesus.
    Without him how lost I would be.

Some people have posted it on YouTube.
  6. Shauna Lea

Shauna Lea Staff Alumni

I like ur scripture Chargette! I'm a songwritter so I love all the metaphors and imagery.

Necrodude - I can understand your view point and being brought up as a Christian, you could probably pose a better case than me. There certainly is a bit of God in all of us, I believe there is a god shaped hole in everybodies hearts!
  7. necrodude

i dont feel i present a better case. just my beliefs.
  8. Shauna Lea

Shauna Lea Staff Alumni

That's right! I enjoy chatting with people who are open minded. Those who are so strongly swayed in one direction and can't see any other view are difficult! To me, god as our creator and jesus as his son etc is fact...but as most of my life to date was not lived as a christian, I can understand your views =)
  9. Chargette

I was raised by an atheist mom who said that we had to decide what we believe. When I was a kid, I went to church with who ever I spent Saturday night with. I got to experience the round of different denominations. I'm so glad that I had those experiences. It allows me to see all of them as genuine.
  10. Shauna Lea

Shauna Lea Staff Alumni

That's awesome! My parents were the same - they didn't want to bring us according to a specific faith, they wanted us to make our own decision. I never really looked into it much through adolescents but since coming through depression I figured there had to be a hgher purpose, someone watching over me who loved me more than I could ever know. There have been miracles in my life so it's only natural to believe!
  11. pither

pither Well-Known Member

Once upon a time I was a christian. I was raised in a christian home and even homeschooled my whole life greatly for religious purposes. But with time my family has evolved and grow out of our faith, especially those of us in adolescents. I haven't been to church or a church function in a good year now.

It's just I've been to such dark, terrible places in my life and God wasn't there when I reached out to him and asked for help. When it counted I didn't feel anything- so my faith is now practically non-existent. I believe there is a higher power, but that's about the extent of it.
  12. Shauna Lea

Shauna Lea Staff Alumni

I'm sorry to hear that pither! I'm not sure of your situation so it's not for me to judge but I believe that god is always there is our times of need...sometimes we just can't feel it in our spirit for a couple of reasons. 1. because we don't have 100% faith in gods love and the promises he has made to us and 2. we don't open ourselves up enough to receive those great blessings.

When I was going through my horrible time, I liked the idea of christianity but wouldn't call myself a 'christian'. I believed god was our creator but I didn't believe in his unconditional love and ability to answer all my prayers. So i prayed half wasn't effective, i didn't feel anything either. It wasn't until I found 100% faith in gods word that I started to see miracles working in my life. I was literally seconds from death when someone, someone heard my cry, believed that cry, knew where to find me, and help got to me just in time...that was my miracle. From that day, I've had no doubt that there is a god and that he is with me in the valleys and on the mountain tops.

Faith aside, how r u going with your struggle at the moment?
  13. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

that is how my daughter is being raised. My fiancé is a christian and I am not. We feel it's only fair that she be raised without a specific religion forced on her. When she is old enough to make the decision on her own we will support her on it.
  14. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

I'm not a Christian, but this is a beautiful piece of music:

It's called "Agnus Dei" sung by the Choir of Trinity College, Cambridge, UK to the theme of Samuel Barber's orchestral piece "Adagio for Strings". Enjoy =)
  15. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

First of all, it's nice to see Christians actually speaking about their faith on this forum. So often people get bashed for their spirituality, faith, etc.

If I had to put a label on what I believe I guess I would say Christian. But I don't really follow the Bible so much as A Course In Miracles which is said to be channeled by Jesus.

I just found a passage I like.

"God's Will for me is perfect happiness. This is the truth, because there is no sin."

Also I like how the book starts off.

"Nothing real can be threatened. Nothing unreal exists. Herein lies the peace of God."
  16. Chargette

I don't feel God's presence when I'm depressed, angry, tired, rebellious, and other emotions. Our emotions are powerful and can block out other things in life. When this happens to me, I ask God to carry me, to please do for me what I cannot do for myself. Then I let it go, knowing that God works on his timetable, not mine.

I believe God is always with me. I've learned that the barriers I have set up inside myself to close out others can be used to close out God too. I sure am glad God is patient with me. People can get discouraged and back off from helping but God patiently stays with me all the time.
  17. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Shauna, I have been thinking about this a LOT lately. I was brought up catholic, then at age 12 went to a baptist church, then ended up going to a christian school for a few years and finished high school in public school.

I had a lot of trouble for a long time with my faith. I would pray constantly, yet life was getting worse: the problems with my family, my own problems with my depression, and my suicidal thoughts. When I finally made a major attempt at my life, some things happened that I look back on now and question. I should have died that day. I wanted to die with all my heart due to how bad I had felt for years. For some reason I did not die that day.

From there things seemed to keep going downhill for a few months. My problems were still there and just as bad if not worse. My mother and sister asked me to come down here to texas to start life over. I moved 2k miles away from my home town and friends and tried to start my life over. I found a great job and moved up quickly, but my problems were still lieing under the surface. The added stress from the position I moved into started bringing up everything again. I was completely suicidal again.

I quit my job. The job that made me feel like I was finally a smart/good/useful person. I was lost again. I prayed. I prayed hard. I was angry at god, if he was out there I did not like him at all. But I prayed to become the person I wanted to be. I wanted to be confident in myself. I wanted to be a good person. I wanted to no longer be ashamed of everything I did in life. I wanted to have self respect.

I started therapy. I had the mindset when I started that I would do whatever it took to no longer suffer with the things I had suffered through my entire life. It was NOT easy. Every session felt like ripping the stitches out of a fresh wound. I was still suicidal. I was still doing things to hurt myself because I could not deal with some of the emotions and thoughts that would flood my mind.

For Christmas my mother bought my sister and I a bible. From time to time I would start to read it again. My mind was still suffering and I tended to warp things I would read into god only caring about himself. I felt like I hated god. If this was the true creator of everything I wanted no part of him.

I finally left therapy. I knew I was no longer making progress. As angry as I was inside I prayed for the same things as before. To become the person that I wanted to be, to have confidence, to love myself. Then some positive things started happening. I slowly started to work out the issues with my family here. I really started thinking about the things that happened to me. I finally started to realize that I had a right to be depressed, to be suicidal for so many years. I may have said I had the right to these thoughts before, but I finally started to believe it.

I looked at the fucked up things in my past. I looked at all the things that made me feel like a worthless person. I started to understand. The things I prayed for started to come true.

Its funny, but I opened my bible not too long ago and found Job. I started reading. When I was younger and miserable I read Job and thought how could a truly great God do that to someone? Now that the lens I view the world with has changed, I look at it in the context the writer of Job meant it to be in: that God loves everyone and does these things to teach us. Like a parent that disciplines their child, as hard as it is, it makes us better if we are willing to accept the discipline.

I finally respect myself and love myself. I can now understand how people can have healthy relationships and love another person. I can finally understand how God can finally love everyone, even the murders and the rapists. Deep down inside we are all the same. We all make choices in this life that effect the paths we take. Some people make the right choices, some people make the wrong choices.

I have been doing a lot of reading about the theories of what space/time actually is. Everything I am now reading makes it sound like there is a God. Now anyone skeptical that may be reading this might be thinking "Well of course! People want to hear what they want to hear!" I understand that line of reasoning, I really do. But I look at how science is finding that there are no absolutes on the quantum level. Everything is a probability and not an absolute fact.

Now to me it looks like God programmed choice into space/time itself.

We all have choices. We can choose to end our lives or keep fighting. I have had to make some hard choices, like we all have had to on this forum. The choices I made to end my life. The choices I made to start therapy. The choices I made to swallow my pride and ask for help from my family. The choices I have made and will continue to make will not be easy. But the way I feel today, the way that I view life, I would not change for anything in the world. I would go through the things I have gone through a hundred times over for this feeling.

I thank God everyday for this.
  18. wibble

wibble Well-Known Member

Im a Christian, I teach a Bible study course and serve at church as well as offering free employment law advice to members of the church. I'm also considering part time church employment (they've offered and I'm very tempted)

Thing is, I was raised Catholic (fist of the dragon style christianity), left it and then came back to main stream christianity. I've studied many different belief systems, read every book I can find on it, and I keep coming back to it.

My favourite bit of scripture is a bit of a cliche, but its "though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death". Not that I live in the valley, not that I dwell in the valley, not that I stay in the valley, but I walk through it. It always reminds me that, no matter how bad things are, theres always hope.

Its nice to see other people being able to talk about their faith without people jumping up and down on them for it. :stars:
  19. MourningAngel

MourningAngel Well-Known Member

i was raised to be christian and i'm glad my mother taught me all those things and brought me to god because it's the only thing that's keeping me going atm: the knowledge that everything happens for a reason even if we aren't able to understand it

that's one of my favourites too :smile:

and thanks for starting this thread, it's great to see that there are christians on sf :smile:
  20. Shauna Lea

Shauna Lea Staff Alumni

I love that there has been so many replies to this thread! It's awesome to see some of you are so involved in church and ministry!

Thanks for sharing your story's powerful! Keep reading the bible and other books. I have a daily reading book and have also read some books on the healing power of god, they certainly helped me! I'm not completly healed...but I certainly now have an unshakable foundation =)