Any compulsive overeaters on SF?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Aissela, Dec 14, 2008.

1. I know an overeater

13 vote(s)
  2. I am an overeater

21 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aissela

Aissela Well-Known Member

I've recently realized that what I've been doing has a name. Apparently I have compulsive overeating disorder (binge eating disorder). I'm trying to stop...

Any other over eaters here on SF? I feel rather alone in it all...
  2. Locket

Locket Well-Known Member

i used to have BED, but it turned into bulimia and now i'm just EDnos coz i don't fit a category.
    it's hard getting out of that rut, and i know i didn't do it the right way (not that i'm really out of this rut anyway) but if you try really hard, and get onto the right track and stay there for a while - it becomes easier to stick with it than you'd think.
    :) x
  3. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

I do overeat, but lately i learned how to control it... to some points...
  4. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

Me too....I'm holding at 10st 5lbs :wink: but I have been as high as 12st.
  5. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I love going to buffet's now and then. I can really put away food like a competitive eater. But the funny thing is that I don't gain any weight. No matter how much food I eat, my weight is holding at 155 lbs. :smile:
  6. Izziebabystar

Izziebabystar Well-Known Member

i over eat
    i can eat the same size portions as grown men
    and more after that
    but im also realy fat :(
    dont know how i can control it
    i dont even realise im doing it half the time
  7. I'm a compulsive overeater, but not to an extreme. I don't binge on a huge amount of food at one time - rather, I spread it out throughout the day. I think a better term for me would be an emotional eater. I eat when I'm happy, sad, depressed, stressed, bored, etc. I feel like sugar and carbs and caffeine will all make me "happy" and give me enough pleasure for me to make it through the day. I know the feeling is fleeting, but I don't care about that. I just care about how good the food tastes in my mouth and how it seems to feel a void in my stomach.

I eat to get a moment's worth of pleasure. I eat to distract myself from my life. I eat to celebrate happy feelings and events. I eat to fill a void. I eat for comfort.
  8. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

It's not hard to keep it once it becomes habit.
    Unfortunately, same cannot be said for loosing weight :wink:
  9. ThoseEmptyWalls

ThoseEmptyWalls Well-Known Member

I wish I would of saw this thread. I didnt so I posted one about overeating. I think I have a problem with overeating (maybe its a ED. I dont know)...
  10. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

I'm a pretty big over eater because I eat when I am depressed which is most of the day.
  11. tag

tag New Member

i over eat which i am tryng desperately to stop as my health has got so poor now i am never happy so i just eat more and im at about 500lbs now and dont think my body can take much more no one will help so dont know what to do
  12. ThoseEmptyWalls

Im more then glad to run over ideas with you :) Im trying to loose weight myself as Im nearly at that 300 pound mark. So if you ever need a weight loss buddy or just someone to talk to about health/weight issues - Im here!
  13. MAS

MAS Active Member

I'm an emotional eater particularly when I am depressed. Unfortunately, food doesn't do it for me now but I still continue to eat looking for that 'feel good' feeling food used to give me. I go for all the sweet stuff. I am obese now and restricted in a lot of ways which just adds to my probs.
  14. mew2you

mew2you Member

I am so with you guys. My therapist told me I binge eat because I’m searching for comfort and nurturing. That’s great and all, but how do I stop? I’ll tell myself that tomorrow I won’t binge eat anymore. The next morning I’m binge eating again. I will go through some short periods where I am able to control the binging. I don’t know how I do it, but then once I start again, I can’t stop. I don’t know why I can control it for a little while but then go back to the binging. It’s a vicious circle. It’s nice to know that I’m not alone with this problem. At the same time, I feel so badly that others have to suffer with it also.
  15. ThoseEmptyWalls

Keeping a food diary helps me. I noticed that when I stopped keeping the diary I gained 20 pounds. I put it off on the medication I was taking at the time but I knew it wasnt the medications fault (this medication actually helps people loose weight so yeah). To add some extra help to myself I post the diary on another forum I belong to. Im honest in the diary (okay I will admit if I eat something that others might find sick like a cup of pizza sauce, I will leave that out but that doesnt happen often - once a month tops). I found that seeing what I eat in the run of a day makes me embarrassed at myself for taking in so much and gradually (after just a few days) the amount of food on the list was cut in half and now (after a few weeks of keeping the diary again) its been cut in half again.
  16. mew2you

mew2you Member

That sounds like a great idea. Also, can you give the name of the other website? Thank you!
  17. ThoseEmptyWalls

The websites linked to from here actually - FriendsCircle. They have a small diet group there. Its not very helpful but its a place to vent about weight problems, talk about success, and share tips. The site has its good points. I have made a few nice friends there and got some decent advice from a few folks.
  18. mew2you

mew2you Member

Thank you. I'll give it a try. I don't have anything to lose. (no pun intended)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.