Any craft ideas?

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Social Media
SF Artist
SF Supporter
@Lane I tried to come up for some ideas. It's a little hard because I don't know what crafts you're into or what your budget range looks like. Below are some kits I found. The prices range and if you already own some of the supplies you can certainly find a cheaper kit. Maybe these can inspire some additional ideas for things you might like to do as well.

Candle Making
https://www.amazon.com/Aihoon-Suppl...king+kit&qid=1616244127&s=arts-crafts&sr=1-86

Macrame
https://www.amazon.com/MacraWish-Ma...6243303&rnid=2941120011&s=arts-crafts&sr=1-32

Bird House Painting
https://www.amazon.com/Birdhouse-Cr...27&rnid=2941120011&s=arts-crafts&sr=1-57&th=1

Diamond Painting
https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Pain...it&qid=1616243765&s=arts-crafts&sr=1-106&th=1

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
I recently bought a macrame kit for making a plant hanger - I haven't started it yet but it says it's beginner level.

Another thing I'm keen to try is needle felting and there are loads of gorgeous kits online.

I've also been making waxed cotton wraps to use instead of plastic cling film - easy to make and good for the environment. I've given loads to friends.

My daughter wants me to learn paper quilling as she's seen a picture she wants but it's out of her budget.

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Some very fine choices above. I agree about knitting and crocheting. One of my favored gifts from a kind of substitute mom/second mom is this. My mom's best friend who made afghans for who she called her three kids, her own daughter, me and my brother. It has its permanent place on the couch and also good for a warm snoozin' nap. :)

IMG_2280.jpg

Candle making is also a good one, my grandmother taught me, it is also practical since all homes should have a number of nice ones in case the lights go out during a power failure.

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
Some very fine choices above. I agree about knitting and crocheting. One of my favored gifts from a kind of substitute mom/second mom is this. My mom's best friend who made afghans for who she called her three kids, her own daughter, me and my brother. It has its permanent place on the couch and also good for a warm snoozin' nap. :)

View attachment 43649

Candle making is also a good one, my grandmother taught me, it is also practical since all homes should have a number of nice ones in case the lights go out during a power failure.
It's gorgeous. Those were the colors of my childhood bedroom so I'm also partial. I know if like knitting or crocheting but I need someone to show me how.

I did make candles with my niece when she was little. It was a fun projet. She remembers it too, 20 someodd years later.

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
Thank you @Walker @Freya @Angie @SillyOldBear @Sunspots @Nick @KM76710 @cymbele. Going to tuck all of your suggestions under my hat as I like all of them. I did go to craft store and bought an easel that happened to be 1/2 off so I lucked out.

Also got sculpey clay and self drying clay to help beat boredom blues!

Hope you don't mind when I post awkward or lopsided sculptures! 😋

Kira

•✮• SF Gelfling •✮•
SF Creative
SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Thanks for starting this thread @Lane *stars
I'm always looking for something new to try so I'm loving all of the suggestions here. I hope they keep coming because the list is potentially endless!

Also, I can't wait to see your projects! *dance4

Brân

i don't like me either
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
If you're up for learning something new and you've got half decent sunlight, Cyanotypes are really easy but really fun. They're blue washed prints and one of the most common cameraless photography methods. You basically paint paper with a chemical mix, wait for it to dry in a light tight place, take it outside in a sealed envelope, take a sheet out, place down, place whatever you want stenciled on top, wait til it turns brown and then wash in water to see finished product.

I put my results in this thread last year. I buy premixed chemicals in bottles, they're a bit pricey at around £20 in the UK, but I must have made over 100 prints and still did not finish the bottle, and they keep for 6 months if you store them right :)

I order these in UK if you need reference for what you might look for if you're not UK. Also happy to talk to anyone who wants tips/teaching. This website is pretty handy too. https://cyanotype.co.uk/tutorials

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Thank you @Walker @Freya @Angie @SillyOldBear @Sunspots @Nick @KM76710 @cymbele. Going to tuck all of your suggestions under my hat as I like all of them. I did go to craft store and bought an easel that happened to be 1/2 off so I lucked out.

Also got sculpey clay and self drying clay to help beat boredom blues!

Hope you don't mind when I post awkward or lopsided sculptures! 😋
Another that can be fun and is quite easy is soap making. All you need is three ingredients: lye, lard and water, but you have to be careful handling the lye. I make it regularly. Contrary to The Beverly Hillbillies lye soap is not as harsh as the show made it out.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00