any experiences with celexa?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by hare, Jul 27, 2008.

1. hare

hare Active Member

i was recently perscribed celexa by my GP. has anyone had any experiences with this drug? my doctor said it's hardly known for side effects, but i'd like to know as much as i can about what i'm taking.

2. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

I'm on Celexa now, though it doesn't do anything for me. The only side effect I got for it was being a little sick to my stomch for the first few days. I hope it works for you. :hug:

3. valkeith

valkeith New Member

I took Celexa for a couple of months, but it upset my stomach a lot. I had to stop taking it.

4. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

celexa did nothing for me but then again there hasn't been a med that has.

5. famous.last.words

famous.last.words Forum Buddy

i think celexa is the same as citalopram, which i took for around 3 months with no success. I didnt have any side effects though which was much improved on the horrible pills im on now.

6. ANeverEndingRose

ANeverEndingRose Well-Known Member

I have been taking 20mg for about a year with great success-it really helps and I don't have any side effects.

7. yanke

yanke Active Member

Name Celexa
    Generic name Citalopram hydrobromide
    Manufacturer Lundbeck, Forest Laboratories Inc.
    First used in Approved: 1998 (FDA), since 1989 in Europe
    Family SSRI
    Indications Depression, Panic Disorder, OCD, GAD, Social Anxiety Disorder

How does it work? Citalopram increases the amount of neurotransmitter serotonin in the brain by blocking the resorption of serotonin from the synapse, having little effect of other receptors, which is why it is called a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). Citalopram appears to be more selective than other SSRIs, that is, it has less effect on other neurotransmitters like dopamine and norandernaline. This property results in fewer side effects, such as sexual dysfunction, weight changes, and also in a better drug interactions profile. Researchers also shown that frequency of treatment-emergent manic episodes associated with Citalopram is lower compared to other SSRIs.

8. Victori@

Victori@ Well-Known Member

I was put on celexa when I was 16 I think! It made me sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sleepy!! i think Medaction is different for everybody! Some people might have side effects and other's wont. Everybody is different that way. It did however work for deppresion. I had to come off it because I couldn't stay awake for more than a few hours at a time!

9. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I took celexa for about 6 weeks, it did nothing for me..Im now back to where I started

10. yanke

yanke Active Member

Funny you should mention Celexa. My first cousin, age 48, just went through his second liver transplant, has Hepatitis C., and has had cancer 3 times. He's lost all motivation. Last week his doctor figured he had to be depressed , which he admitted he was. Today, after only 5 days on Celexa, the depression has lifted!! We're all so excited. So I would tell you; don't be afraid--be excited to take Celexa. Your doctor chose that particular med for a reason. You're going to feel so much better before you know it!! Don't be surprised if you lose a few pounds in the first couple weeks. (I hope that makes you happy!) Good luck, and enjoy your new little bundle of joy!! The Celexa will change your whole way of thinking. You'll see!! :)

11. Petal

I'm back on celexa again, the side effects are unbearable(feelings of burning on my skin, tingling, insomnia, racing thoughts and weakness). I know its not even worth taking but I have to follow the doctors orders:rolleyes: I wish my doctor would just give me benzo's:dry:

12. nagisa

After some time on celexa I'm finding that it works quite well with me. My depression has lifted a lot, though it hasn't helped me with anxiety.

13. Petal

Im glad to hear your depression has lifted a lot hun :hug: I'm really happy for you:smile: How long did it take to notice an improvement?

14. nagisa

:smile: :hug: It took celexa about a month to actually show improvements.

15. Petal

Great, only another 2 weeks for me then :biggrin: Thank you :arms:

16. iracund

iracund Antiquities Friend

i'm not sure how long it took for the celexa to kick in for me as there were a bunch of other med changes in a short period of time that took a few months to adjust to. once it was all sorted out and everything got to a therapeutic level, celexa has been doing a good job keeping depression somewhat under control. *knock on wood*

i've taken a number of other ad's in the past - though i was serially non-compliant, discontinuing whatever med i was prescribed at the time after a few months. meds included (in no particular order and some tried more than once) paxil, prozac, zoloft, elavil. and then there was wellbutrin - i was a good patient and got that crap down the trap as prescribed for about a year. it did help some, but after getting up to 450mg xl, (yeah, that's a honking large dose. i know) i started seizing like a neglected engine.

some of the meds didn't help (and i didn't help them do their job either) and i was too depressed to do anything about it ...like go to the doctor and try to sort things out. a few times i said "fuck it" and chucked the tablets under the bed and went off the deep end - months long benders, fights, sexual promiscuity, reckless spending, waking up in foreign countries with no recollection of how i got there ... i was the poster child for misdiagnosed manic depression. and i can't totally blame the shrinks as i only would give in and go seek treatment when i was in the darkest of places. or when i woke up on the bathroom floor covered in puke feeling like i had been hit by a bus after a failed attempt to off myself. well c'mon now, who the fuck goes to see their shrink when they're feeling like the king of the world????

in any case, i'm a fan of celexa.

for those who are having success with it: cheers! and let's hope it continues to work for all of us for as long as we need it!

nagisa: 'm glad you're feeling a bit better with the celexa. i've heard that it does help some people with their anxiety issues, but i can't speak to that therapeutic use as i don't have anxiety issues. have you ever tried anything else for anxiety - or any other ssri's?

daisychain: good luck. keep us updated?