Any experiences with Sertraline?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by feathers, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feathers

feathers Well-Known Member

Was put on 50mg of Sertraline not long ago, hasn't been long enough for them to kick in but I've had no side effects bar a loss of appetite for like, the first week. Much better than my Citalopram where I didn't eat for two weeks and had constant panic attacks and anxiety. However I am just wondering about the effectiveness of Sertraline and if anyone has any good experience with it?

I'm not terribly depressed anymore all in all, I just have quite sudden dips of despair where I feel suicidal, and then I return to feeling my overconfident self (one extreme or the other). But the doctor thinks I should be on these and not mood stabilizers or anything like that, so I'm on them in the hope that they will lessen the effect of the "dips" so to speak.

Any experiences to share, good or bad?

K x

2. takencontrol

takencontrol Well-Known Member

hi, i was put on sertaline in september after not much effect with citalopram. i was on 100mg to start with but was changed to 200mg in october, i had an initial high when they were changed (which i was warned might happen), but back to the ups and downs quite soon after. ive had quite a bad time recently and when i saw my psych doc on monday she added venlafaxine to try stabilise me. i do feel a little difference with the sertaline i just need to get the dosage altered to get the right combination. hope that helps :hug:

3. feathers

Okay, right, well I'll see how this goes then :s

Thank you

4. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Been on it on two occasions and nothing happened....either time..

The end.

5. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

I've been on Sertraline for a while and don't feel it helps. I have recently had a big dip and my dose was increased from 150 to 200 by my GP. I see a psych the day after tomorrow and hoping that I will get an 'expert' view of my meds.
    Having said that, I tried to wean myself off them, I was in a terrible state.

6. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Venaflaxine is a SSRI which is a anti depressant so your on 2 types of anti-depressants? Yeah im supposed to be taking them but i just dont bother, they are useless

7. feathers

:s damnit

8. takencontrol

takencontrol Well-Known Member

yes im on 2 anti depressants as prescribed by my psych doctor.

9. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

lol sorry ive just never met anyone thats been on 2 types before that was all, surely that must have quite a effect on you then?

10. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

It made my life a living hell because it causes cycling in bipolar individuals. >_<

11. feathers

think i'm coming off >.>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.