any help would be good.

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by confusedgirl, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. confusedgirl

confusedgirl Well-Known Member

Really need some help, due to the nature of my job (working with young children) if i was to go back to getting support back on meds etc could I loose my job due to the 'illness' Does anyone know, ????'

And is anyone else in the same boat?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2009
  2. Robin

Robin Guest

In the uk, as far as I know, and before you take it as gospel you should visit your local cab office, you are not obligated to tell your employer if you have a mental health issue though if the company you are working for runs well and to uk work ethics it could be beneficial for you to do so.

3. confusedgirl

Thanks robin, I missed u long time no speak. Xx

4. Robin

Robin Guest

:) :hug: :)

5. jeannate

jeannate Active Member

I don't think it is anyone's business but your own. I am not sure the exact nature of your job, but depression is a medical disease and just like any disease (like diabetes or cancer) you should have it treated. It doesn't mean you are unsafe around children. I don't know where you live, but here in the US it is a privacy issue. No one has the right to know your medical issues except if you choose to share them with someone. If you fear some reaction from your work, I would just not tell anyone I am being treated. You being on medications (unless they impair you greatly) should not have any bearing on your working environment. And I never heard of anti depressants having impairing side effects to the point you can't work safely and effectively. And if you found they were in some way unsafe, you stop taking them and find another medication. I would say it is no ones business about your health issues where you work. You would need to check your employment contract, but I doubt they can intrude into your private medical issues. Even if the contract said you couldn't take such meds, I would say it was an illegal contractual obligation and you could sue if they fired you. But look it up online, you might be able to find some free legal help on the web. But I am pretty sure that they have no right to know you are being treated medically for anything, as long as it doesn't hurt or effect the way you do your job. And taking medications for depression does not fall into that category. Go get treated and keep quiet if you are worried, that would be my suggestion. Your medical records are completely private (at least if you are in the US).

6. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

I went for an interview today and I was given some forms to fill in and there was also a medical form, 2 pages of A4 listing everything you can think of and one of the questions asked about mental illness and it made me think if people should put it down or not. I also thought it's a private issue.

7. confusedgirl

I had that question when I first started 3years back I lied and said "N/A"....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.