Any homeless are here?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by 1victor, Dec 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1victor

1victor Well-Known Member

I am facing sleeping on the street of NY pretty soon.
    I was browsing "homeless" forums but didn't find any solid info. All I could figure out is that there is a very slim chance to get back on his feet for an old man once he was thrown on the streets. No way one could survive the streets of NY in the winter either. Sadly, there are very few men's shelters out there in the states and I think there is only one in NYC which has a long waiting list. Also, sooner or later you gotta leave the shelter because, as I understand, there is a time limit for being helped. Once you exhausted your portion of "help" they put you on the "helped" list and no other state shelter will take you in. Anyways, I wish hear it from someone who has been there and done that. At the moment, I have serious doubts that I am willing to go through all this hell. I am an old, emotionally exhausted, penniless, with no friends or family man. Panhandling is my only income right now. So, I got my hollow points ready to celebrate this Xmas.

2. NoGood

NoGood Well-Known Member

Im really sorry to hear this. Im sorry i cant help. But my thoughts are with you. :hug:

3. orangejulius

orangejulius Well-Known Member

I hate to say this, but you may want to leave NYC. It's an extremely expensive place to live. I know I went through money pretty quickly while I was in town.

If you move away from there, I'm sure you can live ANYWHERE. If you could make it in NYC for some time, the rest of the US is a piece of cake.

Whatever you decide, please stay around. Let us know what you decide.

4. 1victor

You are absolutely right. I wish I could move to some other state but it's hard. Sometimes, on CraigsList I see free rooms in exchange for work ads but they all short term. Sooner or later I could find some job in NY but my rent money's gone along with my wife. I wish I had more time to recover.
    Anyway, I'll be sitting in my apt till I get eviction notice. My only hope is that the judge will postpone the eviction till it's warm outside. If this happens then I have a chance. Meanwhile, I'd better get ready to hit the rock bottom.

Another thought, what if I pay some portion of the rent for couple of months, let say $200, can they kick me out anyway? Unfortunately, we do not have a landlord, it's a mid size real estate company somewhere in Manhattan, so there is nobody really to talk to.

5. orangejulius

You're in Manhattan too? Jesus, no wonder you're having trouble with money. Everything there seems like it's twice as high. Probably because it is.

Have you at least thought of Brooklyn, Jersey, etc? There has to be a job available elsewhere. What did you do for a job previously?

6. 1victor

No, I am in Brooklyn but the rent is $1000/m. I had a recording studio, dissolved business this year. In fact, many recording studios were closed in 2008 including major label ones like Sony BMG.
    I have been a musician for 35y. That's what I do best. Unfortunately, it doesn't look good on resume when you apply for some desk job. Oh, yeah... and my English ain't so good.

7. orangejulius

I now get where you're coming from. $1000 a month is very steep. You can rent for under $400 here in Central IL, and everything is cheap, so you can live on minimum wage if you aren't picky.

The arts/entertainment industry everywhere has really taken a nosedive like you said. I'm in IT, and it took a while to slow down, but it's taking hits as well.

Are you qualified to teach K-12 or College? If not, there are always private lessons you could teach.

I'm in a completely different situation than you though, and I'm only 23, so take my advice from the standpoint that I have no clue how I would live over there. I just hope I can provide some encouragement. The one thing the world can never have enough of is artists.

8. 1victor

Well, I graduated from a music collage as a jazz guitar player. I could teach 12K but I am no competition to piano players. It's hard to believe but for the last 4 months I could not get even a single student, and that's after all the fliers, business card stands at local businesses, craigslist, personal website, newspaper ads, and local radio ads. My local competition has the same problem, no new students this year. 5 years ago I could easily get one new student every two weeks.

9. jjjoooggg2

jjjoooggg2 Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.