Any ideas on how to quit smokin(cigs)

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by WhyMeWhy, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

I've tried the patch..... I smoked while wearin the patch-very bad for you-I've tried the gum. No effect. Wellbutrin? No effect. The only thing I haven't tried is the nico-inhaler-thing. I think I may shortly develope emphysema.... I loose my breath easily sometimes while walking(I walk faster than most). I sometimes smoke filter-tipped little cigars, due to money issues(they're cheaper). I go crazy when I don't have ciggarettes.... I need help. God I wish I had never started..... don't have the willpower to quit cold-turkey. :sad:

2. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

There's a new drug called Chantix. It blocks nicotene receptors in the brain so that you don't get that "fix" from the nicotene, so smoking basically becomes pointless aside from the oral fixation. It's worked for people I know who have smoked for years.

3. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

But if that's just like not smokin I'll go crazy!

4. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Yeah. I've tried it. The problem is that it doesn't do anything for the cravings that you'll get while you're waiting for the addiction to subside. That and it makes me sick on my stomach for about 4-5 hours after taking it.

5. twilightki

twilightki Well-Known Member

Have you tried to gradually have less? Say, if you have a pack a day, smoke the entire pack, except one less. Keep doing this, if it gets too hard from trying to stop too fast, slim it instead of a whole cigarettes, half. Don't this this everyday, do it at most a week. Whatever works best for you.

6. Jump

Jump Member

One thing that might be worth a try is to smoke loads of cigs one after the other (a couple of packs) They will taste like crap after a few- Remember that horrible taste and go cold turkey. any time you feel you want to smoke remember the sick taste. I managed to quit fior 6 months with this. hypnosis works for some people.

7. Total

Total Member

Ive heard Actupuncture Actually Does work quite well to help smokers Quit

8. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

Chantix worked for a friend, but it's been linked to cancer of all things too.
    The only way i can quit is chop off my hands, or do like my mom who stopped when she couldn't breathe anymore.

9. brokensoul98

brokensoul98 Well-Known Member

ditto on chantix...smoked for yrs..smoke free now for 13 months..my son and daughter in law are both doing it now..they are smoke free for 3 months..

10. nicesinging1

nicesinging1 Well-Known Member

This is my personal ideas. Take it with grain of salt. If you like sports, try to think how smoking makes u tired so easy and unable to play for long time. Think about how much better, fresh ur body would be without smoking. That is how I resisted the temptation of smoking when I played basketball.

11. zetaf

zetaf Well-Known Member

The truth is that the physical addiction is only hard to deal with for a few days. If you can get past those few days, the rest is just breaking the routine. One way I have found to be quite effective is to buy a brand you really don't like. If you smoke light cigs, buy a thick heavy brand. Most likely the experience of smoking will be less enjoyable. The key to quiting is to associate smoking with the unpleasant effects. When you are about to go have a cig, think about what it is actually going to be like. It will taste bad, your mouth will be dry, you will cough and spit, smell bad to others, feel tense, lightheaded, and possibly sick to your stomach. When you stick that cig in your mouth, just think "wait a minute, do I really even want this?" I promise that after the first 2 weeks of quiting, you will start forgetting about it. The only times you will have to resist are when you see others doing it, and you can think "well they have a problem that I don't have to deal with anymore." And whatever you do, once you have gotten past the first month, don't ever have one again or it'l all start over. It always does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.