Any managers here?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Everymedhasfailed, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Everymedhasfailed

Everymedhasfailed Active Member

Hey guys,

this is a request to anyone who manages people in their professional lives...

I will preface this by saying that my manager has just haded in her 4 weeks notice, and I am still in my probationary period at work (meaning I could be let go or be made surplus to requirements at anytime from now until the 30th of the month without any reason or repercussion on my employers side).

I am hiding the fact that I am a recovering drug addict from my employer, and seeing as I only have 9 months of my 12 month contract left, I am not sure I should be fully open with my employer... I am honest, if someone asked me directly I would tell them that I was addicted to synthetic cannabinoids and am still on the path of recovery.

All I want to do is come clean to my soon to be ex-manager as I feel that by not telling her I would be disrespecting not only her, but the hospice in which I have gained employment. However, I know that if I were to approach it the wrong way, it may get passed on (not that I do not trust her (it would be her obligation)) and I could lose my job as a result.

All I am asking is input of the best strategy for sharing this information from those who have current or previous managerial experience. I know that if I were to approach it it the right way, alot of things would be put into perspective for her and also I may gain her respect.

All the best and I sincerely hope that your light in the end of the tunnel isn't a train, like mine was...

Pace yourselve and know that if you give a little, you gain alot!
  2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

If you do not want it passed on to the next manager then do not tell your current manager. S=he would not be fulfilling her duties if she did not pass on relevant information disclosed to her. Show your respect for outgoing manager by not saying "I lied to you and now I want you to lie to your replacement for me". I am unsure there is a right way to "gain the respect" of somebody put in that situation and unless you are friends outside of work and hope to maintain a personal relationship I do not see an upside to you or her by telling them. If not intent on maintaining a relationship you are simply divulging personal medical information to somebody that works as a manager in your field of employment and that may come beck to bite you in the future at some future job interview or by rumour. Telling her outside the confines of work obligation would also mean they have no obligation to maintain your privacy at all as it is just you telling a random person. If it is to help your conscience talk to your counselors in the treatment program and figure out a way to discuss it with your employer an not have it a s a worry anymore because if hired under false pretense I doubt being off probation would save your job anyway.
  3. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Why the need to tell when you just turned in 4 weeks notice?
  4. Raven

Raven Guest

Ya, the fact that you said nothing before you where hired and decide to bring it out know would look poorly. As long as you are doing the job they hired you for and you are keeping yourself clean then it is not something you need to inform them of. Heck I don't even tell my co-workers where I am going for vacation let alone that I had issues with alcohol for many years as it simply something they do not need to be aware of since it is not impacting how I do my work since I no longer partake. It is a can of bees best left un-opened.