Any old folks who cut ?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by ProzacDeathWish, Mar 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alot of us choose to keep private statistics such as our age off of the forum which is okay with me ( because I'm old :biggrin: ) but my impression is that most of the persons who cut themselves are teens and twenty-somethings.

Is my perception correct or are there middle-aged men and women who also engage in this behavior ?

Do elderly people do it as well ?

2. ~Nobody~

~Nobody~ Well-Known Member

I imagine that your perception is correct in that most people who self injure are in their teens and twenty-somethings, but I know for a fact that there are a lot of older people who do it too.

Society just doesn't acknowledge that fact.

Edit: PS. You say you are 'old' - do you SI?

3. I am 48 years old ( btw, which feels even older when combined with the pain of mental illness ) but no, I do not self injure. My participation in self injury will be expressed in one brief episode sometime in the future.

4. ~Nobody~

To be SI it needs not to be of suicidal intent.

But, still, :hug:.

5. Thank you...that was very kind of you.

6. kindtosnails

kindtosnails Staff Alumni

Thing is, the media tells us that SI is a predominantly teen/young person thing. (It also tells us a whole load of lies, but whatever) but where do they get this info from? Stats, surveys etc, and stats from hospitals (but so many self injurers don't get medical attention..)... Has anyone on this forum ever actually been asked in one of these surveys (I'm not actually asking). My point being, they'll never have the full picture because so many people don't tell. It's a private thing. And because all the media attention tends to docus on young people, and give us these stereotypes, it makes it even harder (I'm guessing here) for older people to come forward. The media would also have us believe that it is rare for males to SI, but I personally doubt it.

7. Just a quick FYI, but I believe the actor Johnny Depp engages in SI, and he's got to be late 30's or early 40's. I could be mistaken though.

8. ~Nobody~

No, he did.

Besides which, even if he did that hardly means the media publicises older males self harming...

9. kindtosnails

Sorry, my point was older people do...the stats will just never show the full picture. I don't get your point about Johnny Depp...but I do know of lots of "older" people who SI, and males.

10. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

There are people in your age range all around the world who self injure. Most say it's just early teens who do it, but they also say it's done completely for attention which isn't true either. So many stereo types... I know people in uyour age group online and in person who do. Although I'm in my 20's so you are probably thinking "what the hell is she here waffling about?" lol

Anyway, I felt I needed to waffle off I guess..

:grouphug:

:hug: Take care,
    Carolyn :hug:

11. Johnny Depp is 44 years old and is a recognizable personality, probably familiar to most of us here on the forum. He is a male...and he is a person who SI's. That's all, I was just sharing.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  12. ~CazzaAngel~

Wow, I didn't know that. I'm pretty sure Angelina Jolie use to be a SH'er and has Borderline Personality Disorder.

X

13. ~Nobody~

But he doesn't now. You're ignoring my previous post...

And anyway, I hardly think ONE male, 40-something person is a representative statistic. Wasn't that the point you were sort of trying to make in the first place?

14. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I know people of all ages (from children up to late 60s) who SI.

Sadly it affects many ages.

15. ~CazzaAngel~

Yeah, it doesn't descriminate. old, young, rich, poor, religious, non-religious, career people, actors, men, women, and of all races.

16. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

I know several people in their forties and fifties who self harm - I think it's far from being just younger people. I think it is fair to say that more younger people self harm than people in their forties and beyond tho. I work in healthcare, and yes very occasionally we do see elderly people as well.

17. ~CazzaAngel~

:hug: I'm always floating off specific topics :eek:fftopic: lol don't feel bad ;)

18. kindtosnails

So...why did you ask?

19. ~Nobody~

Sorry, this is going to sound stupid, but PDW's posts are disappearing right?

Only, it really freaks me out when this happens. Someone explain.

20. kindtosnails

I'm thoroughly confused by the whole thread (now)...and I don't know, nobody...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.