Any one else like linux better ?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by OutCaste, Jun 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OutCaste

OutCaste Well-Known Member

I've been working on linux (the ubuntu version is free) for a while and it seems like a great OS to me. The best part is that it rarely goes into a freeeze whereas with windows i have to do the ctrl + alt +del thing almost everyday. other than that, its also very secure probably the same reason why a lot of scientists use linux. i really wish everyone just boycott the microsoft because most of their software is pure crap and atttracts nothing but spyware/viruses/trojans.
  2. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

I'm using OS X 10.5. I love the thing. I'm not that computer literate so whenever I use linux I have problems (which is more likely because of the version I tried using).
  3. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I tried Ubuntu and didn't care for it. I was (at the time) pretty agitated and frustrated with Windows Vista but at this point in my life, I'm just not ready to learn an entirely different OS. I've been working with Windows for 8 years. I learn slowly. It took me a long time to figure out how to get things to work the way I need them to in Windows and when I tried Ubuntu, I found that I couldn't accomplish the simplest of tasks. Just playing a video was a headache.

I appreciate that someone has taken the time to compete with Microsoft but the simple fact is that Windows is a very established product. It may not always work right or well. But at least I know how to use it.
  4. OutCaste

I think its mainly because windows has become a house hold product. linux isn't really hard, it has a GUI very similar to windows but the thing is not many people get exposed to it not as much as windows.
  5. Testify

Testify Well-Known Member

When I get my laptop for university, it will be running the latest (stable) release of Ubuntu.
  6. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

I've always been interested in Linux, but unfortunately, for various reasons, I've never gotten into it, much. I truly hate Windows, however; aside from that it's from a really horrible company, it just never works well enough. Windows Vista did not bring any change in that regard; just the same shit that you got with Windows XP, except worse. It brings nothing other than further attempts to bring TCPA into our daily lives, and barely anyone is even questioning it; on the contrary, they bought into Microsoft's propaganda and eagerly awaited all the "improvements" that Vista would bring.
  7. OutCaste

i personally think the newer versions of windows are even crappier for eg. they take up too much disk space in exchange for few features. its all the same shit - same minesweeper game, same paint brush, more or less the same ms office etc etc. i don't think there has been a real change since WIN 95 days.
  8. cayzira

cayzira Well-Known Member

I was a big fan of Red Hat linux for a while, and have also tried Ubuntu and Vector... there great if you know what your doing and have compatiable hardware... Ultimatly though, after about a year, I went back to Windows, it's not as bad as people say.

Not as good for tweaking, and not as fast... and you may as well forget trying to program in it. But it's simple... sometimes, when you "need" everything to work perfectly it's the best option.

Ultimatly, Widows has serious problems... but so dose Linux, it just has different problems. I've been able to find a place for both OS's on my system, and I use both regually.

As for there having not been a "real change" since WIN 95 days, your very wrong there. Windows 2000 was a big leap forward... that was the last "decent" change... XP was very similar, and Vistsa just dosen't seem to work properly.
  9. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I loved XP. Simply because I could always figure out what I needed to know with XP and it didn't seem to screw up unless I actually did something to cause it.

I really missed XP for a while. But Vista works better now that they've released some updates and patches for it. For a while, I was extremely displeased with it. Now, it does pretty much everything I want it to do. Which, admittedly, isn't much. I don't play games. Mostly, I just surf the web, look at pictures and play videos. Any OS that can do that is fine with me.

I do agree with you about Windows just being simple. It does pretty much everything for you. Which is important to a lot of people who don't want to dig into the nuts and bolts and figure out how things work. The world is pretty much set up to work (more or less) with Windows. You're going to be going at least a little uphill with anything else.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.