Any other job seekers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DawnB

I admit it is my own fault for not having a job until now. Everyday I think about how I could've have jobs in high school and in college over the summer. This is what I'm trying to do. I also wished I could have volunteered, to get some skills. A lot of it has to do with me not being comfortable around people and my speech impediment.

I have no skills. I took an internship that I hate, so I've acquired minor skills recently, but I know that isn't enough. I'm currently looking for volunteer opportunities. Everytime I don't get a call for an interview I think about what I could do to make myself stand out more. I applied to many jobs since March, with a lot of mistakes (mostly because I wanted to get there before anyone else does. I live in one of the worst places for jobs). I improve my resume, I keep getting confused if people ask both that and a cover letter when they say "resume." I cannot write good cover letters.

Besides money, I want some experience before I graduate from college next year. Obviously I won't get a top-paying job straight out of college (It'd be nice....to pay the school loans, but that's unrealistic).

Has anyone else feel like it's their own fault they can't get a job?

lachrymose27

yup, still looking for work. its my fault but I feel its also the fault of my crappy college (my college didn't teach me anything useful so I was stuck with the skills I've taught myself over the internet) and the crappy internships that some companies have you do (mostly fetch coffee and stack fridges and answer telephone calls when I should be doing something communications related hello?) and the crappy hiring protocols that the companies have in place. If you have anxiety and or not a very social person, its really hard to get around. I live in NYC "city that never sleeps" so its really annoying for me.

sunshinesblack

yeah internships tend to be crapoo, cause they r not interested in teaching you rather then getting some odd job done

I think online is best bet, for IT and design at least
I just got some very low pay job online, its per hour which is good, and hoping to build my portfolio till i can get decent pay
For me its was only way of actually evaluating my skills and knowing where im at market wise and its also an opportunity to earn more than i could in my country

oh and i dont feel its much my fault i cant get a job here, at least here most young people that did not start looking for job at the begging of univ face this issue has i had to find out to late
Like a few days ago i went to a job with no competition, they where willing to hire all of us to draw floor plans but they offered me spare change cause am supposedly beginner and we had an training that was so bad the first day i left in the middle of it thinking i just dont care and dotn want to loose my online contract. People where all low and depressed there and bosses maed us whate for 3 hours just for anything to start and than it was just a bunch of time wasting gibberish. I was so upset and insulted i just left. Im like k theyr r superior but they r wasting everyones time including theirs , guess they where really retarded

Last edited by a moderator:

sunshinesblack

oh should add thet the low pay is actually freaking good by to light type of work im doing lol and would not dream of getting such nice project here where i am in real life

It's much easier to get a job when you have a job. Having a volunteer job does actually count as a real job. Why? Employers are sick to death of people who do nothing and have no skills but want a job. If you volunteer, that shows you have get up and go AND that somebody else wants you.

It's easier to get a job if you have some marketable skills. You have those already. You can test some of them out by offering to teach something, or help someone using <http://craigslist.org/>.

If you hate resumes, and find the whole job hunt thing very stressful, check out this link <http://joesabah.com/getthejob.html>. I used almost this exact technique to get my current job. No need for applications, and virtually no rejection. Employeers call you.

When you go for job interviews, or even to fill out an application, follow these simple rules:

• Go alone!
  • Bring your own pencil and pen
  • Bring a calculator
  • Bring your own notepad
  • On the notepad, jot down a few questions about the company
  • Bring a list of all past jobs, skills, classes, etc.
  • Bring a thank you note and send it on your way home

If you do these few things, you will be in the top 1% of all job applications.

Kaos General

Yep totally my own fault i aint got a job but thats because of the vast amount of criminal convictions ive got. Their are other factors but at the end of the day i aint going into that again

DawnB

@lachrymose27, yeah, they don't want to give anyone a chance anymore when it comes to hiring. And yes, sadly, if you're not comfortable around people you won't get anything. I'm sad you can't get a job in NYC. I live in NE Ohio and that region's been declining for decades.

@sunshinesblack, Yeah, I was hoping that the internship I took would get me somewhere, though I feel that it really was a waste (caused me health problems, mental health problems, and finance problems.)

@Crash106, Thank you, I will definitely check that site out. And I know, I couldn't do either because of school. I've been looking up on Craigslist. One job almost hired me. Resumes are a pain, and online job applications are the worst. It's like you really have to BS these days.

@Angerfist, I'm so sorry about that. It's like, you can't even make things up or improve yourself because of your past. :(

Growing Pains

I definitely feel like it's my fault that I don't have a job. It's not that I haven't been looking, because I definitely have but I often feel like if I had started when I was younger instead of horsing around back then that it might be a little easier now. Like another person said, employers want someone with experience, someone who has shown they're trying to do *something*. When I was young, I didn't try to. I also feel that I could put myself out there more, make a bigger impression. But I lack the courage to do so and sometimes feel like that's my fault as well. It doesn't help at all that there's not much work in this one horse town in the first place and I'm limited on how far I can travel.

Kaos General

It's much easier to get a job when you have a job. Having a volunteer job does actually count as a real job. Why? Employers are sick to death of people who do nothing and have no skills but want a job. If you volunteer, that shows you have get up and go AND that somebody else wants you.

It's easier to get a job if you have some marketable skills. You have those already. You can test some of them out by offering to teach something, or help someone using <http://craigslist.org/>.

If you hate resumes, and find the whole job hunt thing very stressful, check out this link <http://joesabah.com/getthejob.html>. I used almost this exact technique to get my current job. No need for applications, and virtually no rejection. Employeers call you.

When you go for job interviews, or even to fill out an application, follow these simple rules:

• Go alone!
  • Bring a calculator
  • Bring your own notepad

If you do these few things, you will be in the top 1% of all job applications.
This is something that really bugs me. What works for you doesnt actually work for everyone else. You think everyone thats unemployed doesnt know any of this already? Im an electrician so please tell me how any of that actually applies? Why is it always someone who has a job, offers pearls of wisdom? It comes across as condascending. You should change jobs and work in the jobcentre. Every course they give about interview techniques is everything you have detailed.

@sunshinesblack, Yeah, I was hoping that the internship I took would get me somewhere, though I feel that it really was a waste (caused me health problems, mental health problems, and finance problems.)
man that is some internship ,maybe youd be batter of financially suing them

i'm thinking of joining the army for non-combat related duties, trying to find out more about that
sorry u r going down this path
you might as well look for a suicidal cult to join thoguh if i was u id look for a decent job and work on building some meaningful personal life in my spare time to keep me going

pppqp

I'm being unemployed too. Yes, I also feel that it's all because of me. I have no talents at all, and have a degree on something that is almost useless :sad:

DawnB

It's all very frustrating. I just found out that one of my friends got offered a job, and now I feel (read: feel) like I'm the only one who can't get work. Then again, she's worked many jobs, so it's easy for her. And she lives near Philly.

I have the education, experience, and everything else but still not job. Its been over two years and this is not acceptable so I set a date yesterday. If I have a job by then awesome. If not, well I really can't stand to live like this anymore. Unfortunately, no other acceptable choices have been offered to me.

HakunaMatata

• Go alone!
  • Bring a calculator
  • Bring your own notepad

Where do I start?

According to my therapist i should take up part-time work to start me off. She even said that you can only give things a try, but if you feel like it's not working out then don't suffer through it. - This was aimed at a trail i had at food restaurant. I didn't enjoy the atmosphere. One guy said to me, "I've banged most of the chicks. I'm married now, but eventually you'll be asked to go out with them partying."

I'm on job seekers allowance which has me down for any work and any time of the day (I didn't speak up for myself that i didn't want full-time).

I kind of have given up searching for a job. Most places say they'll keep your CV on record for six months so not anything more i can do. When something actually does crop up around my area it always seems that they're wanted some previous experience/degree in that field. Oh, and the jobs that obviously don't require is competitive; basically there's no room for a nervous, ugly, and non-talkative guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00