Any proof of Reincarnation?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by InnerStrength, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InnerStrength

InnerStrength Well-Known Member

I know this'll sound stupid or silly or whatever, but is there anyone here that has read anything on the validity of reincarnation? internet articles, books, whatever. I only ask because I won't be here much longer and it would ease my mind to know that I might have a second shot at "life." Thanks in advance.
  2. ybt

ybt Guest

it depends what you mean by proof. different people have claimed it, but that is unknown, logic dictates that there should be an afterlife.
  3. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Read the book "Many Lives, Many Masters"...awesome book, and great food for thought.
  4. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Here in the Uk we have had a number of documentaries on the subject. Have to say they were compelling viewing. After talking in depth with my hindu friend I keep an open mind on it, mainly cos it makes a lot of sense.
  5. expressive_child

expressive_child Well-Known Member

I don't think there is proof. Its a matter of belief. I mean Buddhism and Taoism believes one who dies will reincarnate into a new life after death but then one may not be a human in the next life, could be some other life forms.

The thing is, there is no scientifically proven answers on what happens in the after life. I hope you don't do anything drastic coz there are no guarantees.
  6. ybt

ybt Guest

well, don't be so hasty to call your opinion fact. i believe that there are guarantees, personally...
  7. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

The burden of proof always lies with the party asserting the positive. Thus, if I claim that there are 99 foot tall pink unicorns dancing the hokey pokey on the seventh planet out orbiting Betelgeuse, you have no way to disprove this statement, do you? But the statement is for me to prove if I make it, not for you to disprove if you doubt it. Which is as it should be, from where I'm sitting. :smile:

Which is your right, as it is for me to believe in my 99 foot tall pink unicorns. But believing in something does not make it so.
  8. What ! .....reincarnation ? :confused:

You mean now I have to commit suicide more than once !

Well son of a #@*$$ !!! :rant:
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  9. iracund

iracund Antiquities Friend

i read the book many years ago when i was in uni. i remember that at the time i absolutely adored it, but it seems like it was lifetimes ago and eons in the past that i can't remember clearly what seemed so awesome about it to me.

as for reincarnation ... now that i'm all grown up ... well, as grown up as i probably ever will get? sorry ... i don't believe in it. death is like that sleep you sometimes have where there are no dreams, no disturbances, and when you wake up you're not sure what day it is, who you are, or where you are. at least i hope that's what death is.

if it isn't, i'm going to be sweating my balls off in hell.
  10. Erebos

Erebos Well-Known Member

Ah...the argument from ignorance. In it's most explicit form. It's good to see logicians every once in a while. So, is there a teapot in space? Or elephants around a star?
  11. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Haven't you heard? It's elephants all the way down.
  12. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I think there are some compelling reasons to believe life cycles. There are some people who just seem so much older than their physical years, for example. How is it possible that one 25 year old could just *know* things and another doesn't?

In my personal experience, I've had one recurring dream (nightmare, actually) that has followed me all of my life. I finally figured out what it was. I had no idea when I was a child. It's a dream of being in a concentration camp in WW2. I had no clue until I became interested in the subject and studied it a bit and looked at pictures. How would a child of five come up with that kind of stuff out of nowhere?

Is this proof? No. It's odd. I don't know what it means. It isn't proof of anything. I think the truth is almost always far more rich and complex and amazing than anything the human mind could ever come up with.

I once heard a theory that the human brain, rather than being the vessel that contains the "soul", is more of a receiver that receives signals from some greater, all-encompassing consciousness....kind of like a TV. I thought that was interesting. That could explain why so many different people spread over vast periods of time and land have such similar traits, characteristics and behavior. What if we're all connected in this way and don't even know it? What if that's why we feel such kinship to others? What if that explains visions and other claims of ESP?

Weird? Yeah. Possible? What isn't?
  13. iracund

ignorance? that's laughable. just because it's not YOUR personal believe that there are unicorns doing the hokey pokey in the great big somewhere out there, doesn't mean that to believe so is ignorance.

by your logic, i have every right and reason to call any god-fearing bible thumper out there "ignorant" because i simply believe that the good book is the best selling piece of fiction ever? excellent. i'll keep that in mind the next time i feel like pissing someone off who gets on their religion soap box (or stack of bibles - whatever works). i can just play the ignorancecard and start extolling the virtues of worshipping garden gnomes. now that we've cleared THAT up ... it's really unkind to tell people that their beliefs or lack thereof is ignorant just because you've been brainwashed to think otherwise somewhere along the way.

i don't know about a teapot in space or elephants around a star (how are they being held there? what planet has that strong a gravitational pull?), but i sure would like to believe it. it would at least make the wide unknown fun and exciting rather than gray and bleak.
  14. ...a square circle ! :barmy:
  15. iracund

i'm sure the brains will someday figure out a mathematical proof that will THEORETICALLY support the idea that a square circle is not only possible, but more desireable for one reason or another. :albert: damn brains!
  16. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I believe in reincarnation cause I want to - I don't want to think that this short life is all there is. I have no proof of it, just believe because I want to and because I can.
  17. Erebos

Erebos Well-Known Member

You misunderstand. The argument from ignorance is a logic fallacy, much like the fallacy of circular reasoning or a fallacy of causation or the fallacy of assuming the consequent. There's a notable difference when you accuse someone of being ignorant and accusing someone of arguing from ignorance (ie arguing illogically). I'm doing none of the former, and agreeing with all of the latter.

The argument from ignorance occurs when someone assumes that he/she is right only because he/she hasn't been shown to be wrong. In essence, you're using a lack of evidence for positive support, which is fallacious. For example, a child may claim that Santa exists. Why? Because you haven't proven that Santa doesn't exist. Obviously, this argument if fallacious. Just because I can't show Santa doesn't exist, doesn't justify you in concluding that he exists. Substitute Santa with whatever your mind can think of and see the fallacy.

This is the burden of proof-a variant of the argument from ignorance. To make a positive claim in the belief in something automatically places the burden of proof on you, not the opposition, who does not believe in your views, to prove you wrong. If I don't believe in it, it's not up to me to prove my disbelief. It's up to you to prove the positive assertion you made. Shifting the burden of proof on me is a logic fallacy.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2007
  18. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

There is definitely proof of reincarnation, based on simple logic.

If you only lived once, or twice, or even a thousand times, if so, how can you live in this current, infinitely short period in the infinite collection of past periods, if it wasn't due to the existence of reincarnation? Logically, since this period is infinitely short, due to the existence of an infinite amount of other periods, it is, in fact, impossible that you could live at this specific period, and not one that is long gone, if not due to the reason that you've reincarnated.

I myself do not believe you reincarnate for all eternity, even though logic tells you should. I believe you reincarnate until you find your true, fated love, and when the two of you die, you will be together for all eternity. Although logic shouldn't allow this, I'm certain the rules of logic aren't definite. This is visible in the universe, where some things break the laws of physics. Bumblebees are further proof, logic isn't always definite.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2007
  19. No disrespect Hae-gi but... :WTF: :doh: ???
  20. iracund

:laugh: prozac, can we form a consortium????????????
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.