Any tests for Sociopathy?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Dave_N, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

I was wondering if anyone knows of any tests that would show whether you are a sociopath or not? I know the condition is quite rare (about 5% of the general population), but its still interesting to know. A sociopath is basically a person who has no human emotion or can feel no remorse, such as famous serial killers like Charles Manson etc.
  2. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I'm sure there are tests out there, but I'd question the reliability of a self-test and scoring system for this or any other mental illness, condition or disorder. Only a trained doctor can diagnose people reliably. Why the interest?
  3. Clementine

Clementine Well-Known Member

If you're asking about yourself, you seem self aware and I don't think sociopaths have much of that.
  4. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

No, I don't think that I'm a sociopath, by any means, but I was just thinking that these people are capable of blending in society and no one knows that they have no human emotion.
  5. Finance

Finance Well-Known Member

Shirt and tie, smile, feign good behavior for short periods.........self aware of their own needs.

Lack of empathy, too complicated for a short post.

This topic will die fast....too bad.
  6. Struggler_

Struggler_ Active Member

No, there is no "test." Antisocial personality disorder is diagnosed by a psychologist using DSM criteria on behavioral patterns. You don't take a written test and become diagnosed with ASPD based on your numerical score. You must also be over the age of 18 to be diagnosed with ASPD.
  7. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Check out It is a blog written by a person diagnosed with sociopathy who explains what living with a sociopathic mind is like, the benefits and the obstacles.
  8. demuredawn

demuredawn Well-Known Member

Could be wrong but I think Dave_N was asking if there is anything on the internet that would clue you in to how likely the possibility that you or someone you know is a sociopath by answering questions honestly.... much like this one perhaps:

but u are right, doing tests such as those are in no way a "definitive" way to be diagnosed, for that you need a psychiatrist..
  9. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

It's not quite rare if its 5 In every 100 people. Per the stats the OP given.

I know plenty of those in those individuals, in some cops, doctors etc ive encountered with.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.