Any tips on staying in touch with reality?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by iKarma, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iKarma

iKarma Well-Known Member

Basically my auditory hallucinations are getting worse. At times I can no longer tell if what I am hearing is real, or not. So I am just looking to see if you guys have any advice on how to stay in touch or differentiate what is real and what is not?

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Fuck reality... Just let it go. I'm trying to lose my grip on reality, I've come to that pleasant point where I'm not quite sure whether most things are reality, dreams, or imagination.

Hmm, actually... Well, for figuring out dreams from reality, you're supposed to set up a reality check. Unfortunately, my reality checks are visual... I have an R on my hand, and I look at my hand often to determine whether or not I'm in reality. I'm not sure if you could do anything like that for sounds.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2009
  3. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

That sounds like a good idea for reality check but yeah auditory hallucinations I'm not sure. I could only give advice on how to stay in reality in general. Putting something on your hand like an R sounds like a great idea. I suffer mostly from dissociation, so I can usually catch myself and try to focus on something around me, or touch something around me to make sure I don't keep dissociating from reality.

Are these hallucinations the same? I mean, obviously you have been able to tell at least a couple times that what you are hearing is not there. So, if they are similar, then just try to remember what they are, and as time goes by maybe you will be able to tell yourself that these aren't real, that you've heard them before and nothing was there.

Good luck, I wish I had better advice. :heart:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.