anybody been made to go to a dietician?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by downunder, Dec 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

shrink is trying to make me go! I don;t want too, too embarassing, too degrading, she recons I need the help of one to stay on track.

too expensive and have to take time off work to go!!!

I was not even seeing her for an eating disorder, and thats all she talks about, I have grief issues i want to talk about and all I get is lectures about food and consequences, i already know this. At this point I cannot break a 3 year habit in just weeks.

2. Locket

Locket Well-Known Member

my mum is a dietician - it's a nightmare!

if you want to change the course of your sessions with your shrink just say so. say you'd rather talk about what you came to talk about and once you've dealt with that you'll maybe let them help you with your eating issues.
    because, to be honest - if you're paying to go there, you're wasting your money.

dieticians are expesive because there aren't that many around yet - most are nurses that have done a little training but aren't really experienced enough to deal with eating disordered patients anyway, but they're in high demand and so they shuv them all in your face to get them used to working with ED patients.
    tell your shrink that you don't feel comfortable going to see one right away but maybe say you'll set a goal and go to see one in the new year - just really so you can put off talking about it for a while.

hope that helps
    sorry if it doesn't
    x

3. ANeverEndingRose

ANeverEndingRose Well-Known Member

I've seen dieticians quite a lot over the years-mind you Ive never had to pay to see one, its always been under the NHS.

I don't see the point of going to one now. If you have an ED a dietician won't be able to make you eat, only therapy will help with that.

Unless you want to start tomorrow afresh by thinking 'im going to try and eat better from today and follow the meal plans and advice she gives me', there is no point in going.

Just because someone arms you with meal plans and nutritional info, does that mean you're going to suddenly change your habits and head and do what they say?

Just because your psychiatrist is recommending it doesnt mean you have to go. You are the one in control of your life and your issues-do what you think is right for you. Its not like they are going to section you or anything just because you won't see a dietician.

4. downunder

The shrink gave me a list of ones that deal with eating disorders, and some pages photocopied out of a book, with black lines covering some sentences. I was on train on the way home working out what was beneath the lines.

She thinks I won't be able to get back into normal eating habits by myself. She also says that I have to be careful about reintroducing food into my system.

I don't pay to see her, work pays for me. She also has to give clearance for me to go back to full duties. I am thinking of doing a bargain with her that if I get back to 60kg if she will give me clearance.

She recons that many people at my stage don't even go to work. My BMI is 17.3. But actually the more she lectures me the more I don't feel like eating.

Then if I forget something, or my thinking is a bit jumbled because she is stressing me out with all the talk about food etc, she says because you have not been eating.

Now I have people constantly telling me how much weight I have lost. LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!

It is getting towards Christmas which is the second without my daughter I don't need this added stress. Its not as if I am going to die next week or anything and not that I would care either.

I am tempted to not even bother turning up for any more appointments but then she will notify my work, so I am a bit stuck.

5. daredhead

daredhead Well-Known Member

I have. The creeps at the hospital made me talk to one when I was there. I guess I ate weird or something, because they were concerned about my nutritional needs. Ever heard of food allergies. Plus, I'm an equestrian, so I have to eat healthy and stay in shape to stay in top form. I don't think my horse would be too happy if I couldn't stay in the saddle:tongue:

6. savetoniqht

savetoniqht Well-Known Member

Yeah, in ip and then I was basically forced to as part of op, in order to get out. It's stupid and arbitrary. Then again, I'm slightly biased. If you think it will help then go for it.

7. downunder

Did they tell you a bunch of stuff you already know?

8. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

I've been to scared to go to a dietician. I really have no clue how to eat healthily, as silly as that might sound. It's harder than you may really think, anyways don't just look at it as something shameful.

9. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I wrote about it. Maybe I'll copy and paste it in this forum if you're interested. I saw one for the first time in 6 years a few days ago..

10. downunder

Yeah I would be interested please post it here.

11. plates

plates Well-Known Member

It's a bit of a story and it's long but it upset me a lot, maybe it's hard to understand but I could have killed myself with the lack of treatment I was getting in october 2007 (i was admitted on to a psych ward out of physical exhaustion and i received NO help whatsoever). yeah i spelt the word 'dessert' wrong too. it was her way of putting those fucking 'inverted commas' around my pain which really pissed me off.

Here's a link: http://www.suicideforum.com/showpost.php?p=594743&postcount=215

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.