Anybody else get triggered by pictures a lot?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by A1231988, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A1231988

A1231988 Well-Known Member

I know it's stupid, but I can't help but look at them sometimes. Pictures of times when I felt much happier trigger suicidal feelings badly. I'm considering just getting rid of them.
  2. Cute_Angel_Xx

Cute_Angel_Xx Account Closed

:hug: What are the pictures off?
  3. A1231988

Me with my ex girlfriend. I'm fine most of the time, but I really get depressed when I see the pictures for some reason.
  4. Cute_Angel_Xx

Cute_Angel_Xx Account Closed

Are you over her?
  5. A1231988

No, but I had to end the relationship before it damaged both of us even more. I struggle with not calling her and trying to fix things again, even though I know that is a bad idea.
  6. peacelovingguy

peacelovingguy Well-Known Member

I think you should dump the photos - whatever else has happened she is not around no more and you should dump the photos before you get a new women.

I guess we live in an age when everyone has photos of friends and lovers - I grew up without all that and if I want to remember people then I can remember them.

I burnt a load of letters and photos years ago. Not family - just women who were not part of my life and who had other men.

You cannot be friends with an ex lover, but you can be diplomatic, for instance, being civil if you meet them.

This goes for the women in question. IF you ended it on a bad note, I don't think a letter would be too much. Tell her your sorry IF you were the jerk in the relationship. On the other hand if she played you, or you suspect that of her - stay well away - find a new one - I'm sure you'll forget about this.

Just burn those photos - that ends any maudlin kind of sentimentality. Photos are a trigger in that sense.

Good luck.

PS, don't think anything negative burning the photos - just think of it as letting someone go. Wish her luck whatever the case because there is nothing worse than harbouring ill will towards an ex lover. Easy to understand why some do - but its not worth the bother and does not change anything.
  7. me myself and i

me myself and i Account Closed

see above, ditto.
  8. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

I disagree; I think that you should keep the photos, but put them away somewhere. I am triggered by photos from my childhood, and I got rid of most of them. I don't regret it, but I made sure I kept some of them because I might want them someday. I've put them away in a cupboard for safekeeping, so I know they're there, but they don't bother me.

You had good times with this woman, and you were happy. That's worth remembering, and one day you might want to look at those photos, when you're happy again. It's just my opinion, but I'd keep at least one of them, but put it away somewhere and not torture myself looking at it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.