Anybody else has imaginary friends or parallel life?

hope_cope_nope

I used to live in my head 90% of the time in my early 20s. I had another life in my head where I was loved, had friends, had success, and most important I had functional parents. I sometimes still remember those dreams as if it was real, like it was some memory of a real event from my youth.

Trivium: Those memories are much more colorful than memories of my "real" life from that period, in literal visual sense.

Today I don't do this that much, only about 10-30% of the time. Still that's the only way to experience certain emotions I will never have in real life.

BarryW

SF Supporter
While not daydreams, I have had dreams while asleep that played a similar role. One that I particularly remember: I had a satisfactory job, was surrounded by supportive people, was working towards lifelong dreams... 8 months went by within this dream world. Then I woke up and lost it all. I felt like my life had been ripped from me.

Do you believe there are any particular reasons that you have reduced your daydreaming?

MisterBGone

ReaLemon
SF Supporter
I don’t know if it’s quite the same thing, but I used to watch some of the same old movies back when, and it was I guess a little bit how I once heard Tarantino (Quentin) describe his relationship with - or what happen s to him, from an experience standpoint - when he watches the comedy 🎭 Dazed 🥴 & Confused 🤷‍♀️. . . (So, it’s like 👍 he’s seen it enough times to where, it’s as though he’s hanging out with his friends, or buds... just vicariously, and so on!)
But now —if that does happen; more & more it seems to be with tv shows, and usually reality ones (for whatever reason) & also foreign (again , for whatev’s!) ;)

Legate Lanius

I can't live in my head. It's all fucktarded garbage in there. "I want this, I want that", "I can't let this happen, OH NO OMG". I don't like it at all. So I live in the present moment with the information that I receive continuously.

Dots

Misknown Member
mmm... i'm an avid day dreamer and have had very active and realistic fantasies that i wished were true but never believed were true. god, i don't even have friends in my own head. not sure what that says.

these days I do a lot of fantasizing about what my life would be like if I didn't have physical debilitating illnesses. sometimes it does start to feel like a parallel life. the one she is living.. the pain free one... and the one i'm living.

but i was happiest when i accepted reality and lived in the present like legate referenced, but... these days it is so hard to be present.

PrincessPure

100% relatable. 2 years of my life, before I got in college were totally spent in bed and I was day dreaming more than being conscious about what is happening around me. I was a highly social and successful person in my dreams, a billionaire with dozens of friends at a young age lol.
Now that I'm busier irl, I day dream way less. I'm certainly not a billionaire with dozens of friends now, but I at least have my few friends and an actual life.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
I don't have an active day dream about 'me' personally, but I have about existence in general. Like that this is a simulation and that at some point we awake to a 'reality' which is currently completely unimaginable to us. And that when this particular sim is over for 'me', this illusion of 'self' will continue in another, completely unimaginable realm.
It's all an elaborate day dream. Is it wrong, or harmful? I don't think it is. It's what humans do, instinctively.
What humans think of as reality is, has always been and will always be, just one big collective day dream.

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
I've always been a day dreamer. I can happily lose myself all day in my dream world. It always makes me sad to have to return to my real life.

When I was a child I had an imaginary friend called Sarah. She was in her late teens and lived in a phone box at the top of our road. She only had one leg as the other was bitten off by a shark when she went on holiday to Florida. She always wore jeans and a purple and pink puffer jacket.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00