Anybody ever have chest pains?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Sapphire, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

Since a few days I've been having some weird, uncomfortable feelings in my chest. It feels like a sort of pressure or sometimes a short, mild, stinging pain. It decreased a lot today which made me worry about it less but this evening I also had a similar stinging pain in my left arm which made me worry about it more again.

Anybody ever have problems like this, too? Do I need to worry? I mean, heart problems do run in my family... But it could also just be a reaction to stress as I've been under a lot of that recently?
  2. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I have stinging sensations in my chest frequently. At least once a day.
    It has to do with my acid reflux problems, I would assume... as doctors haven't really come up with any other conclusions.
    Sometimes it feels like... kinda like a clog- and some pinching pressure; and it can last for a few minutes- or go away immediately.

Apparently it has nothing to do with my heart... do you have any sort of acid reflux or imbalance problems?
    You could try mild anti-acids to avoid having the chest pains, possibly?
  3. Sapphire

No I've never heard of acid reflux... What is that, exactly? lol :) But yeah, a clog; that's kind of how it feels. Or like something is in the way perhaps.. I mean the other day it felt like something was trying to get through a vain but was obstructed and it kept trying to push through and when it did it just went VHOOOOM through there and it caused a burning sensation in my chest. It was scary.. Only had that once, though.
  4. Sapphire

Hold up, I've Googled acid reflux.. I'm reading up on it now.
  5. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I have terrible chest pain sometimes for days i would get your doctor to check it out just to make sure it is not heart related. There could be lots of reasons for the pain so if it comes back get it checked out okay take care
  6. alison

alison Well-Known Member

When I was in junior high I was diagnosed with some heart thing (electrical signalling problem, not a physical issue), but it was mild and I didn't experience many symptoms.

Now I get chest pains a lot. I have pretty severe anxiety about my health (hypochondriac haha), so I'm constantly convinced I'm having a heart attack, which makes me hyperventilate, which makes things worse. I've been to the ER so many times because of panic attacks, its a bit ridiculous lol.

But ont he other hand, because I'm an idiot, I abuse a lot of different stimulants (to help me not sleep & do schoolwork) and those can really mess with your heart too. And I have issues with binge/purging which can also mess with your heart. So.. its hard because I never know if its all in my head, or if I actually did do damage, you know?

Anyways, i would suggest seeing a doctor just to eliminate the worst. I actually find heart tests to be really fun, so you know, there's that.. haha. Your doctor will probably order an EKG, get you to wear a holter monitor for a few days, and then have an ultrasound of your heart done (funnest thing ever!! I promise you!! lol).

If all that checks out, I'd recommend altering your diet a bit and being mindful about how you feel afterwards. It could be that certain foods are giving you heart burn. If that's the case, there's a lot of over the counter medicines that I've found to be really helpful with heart burn!

Also, chest pain is a common symptom of anxiety, so if you suffer from anxiety maybe think about trying to eliminate caffeine or any stimulants from your diet. I've found breathing exercises to be helpful sometimes also. I don't know if you see a psychiatrist or someone who could prescribe you meds, but I was given a low dose of ativan to take whenever I felt like I might be having a heart attack, and it helped *loads*

I hope you're feeling better soon! My advice is given on what I've encountered, so there's probably a million other reasons for chest pain... so sorry if I'm not helpful in the slightest!

However, I do juts want to say that heart attacks are very dangerous, and it is always better to be safe than sorry. If you think you're having a heart attack (especially if you haven't had your heart checked out yet), take some aspirin and go to the hospital.
  7. Hazel

Hazel SF & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

It could well be caused by stress but imo it's best to get your doctor to check it out.
    I've had chest pain caused by stress and once you know what the cause is then you'll be able to deal with it better.
  8. Sapphire

I called the emergency telephone line of my GP today as I was worried even though I felt fine today. They asked me a bunch of questions and I described what I had felt and based on that they told me to call them right away if the symptoms returned even slightly and that I should definately see my GP on Monday. So that's what I'm going to do. I felt fine today (physically) even though I was walking through the city with in the sun with some friends for hours etc. so hopefully it stays this way. I'll tell you last night, I stood up from the couch to go to bed and I felt this crack in my chest bone(?). You know; like you get sometimes when you stretch yourself? And funnily enough, I started feeling better since that moment. Could it have something to do with it or is it a coincidence? lol Probably the latter, I guess. Even so I feel better now. I hope it stays this way... I was worried sick these last few days as heart problems run in the family... Anyway, I'll let you know what the GP says on Monday, ok?
  9. Sapphire

I've been having argument after argument after argument after argument with someone recently IRL and it has been exhausting and frustrating. I think that has to have something to do with it.
  10. Sapphire

Btw, thanks for your replies everyone. You're all awesome people. :grouphug:
  11. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

Yeah I have the same kind of chest pains. It's an everyday thing for me. Mine are stress and anxiety related. As has been said you should ask your doctor.
  12. Sapphire

I went to the doctor today and during the visit he applied pressure on a certain part of my chest and he asked "Does this hurt?". And I'll tell you that I felt exactly the same kind of discomfort as I felt last week. He said that the discomfort I felt was due to all the stress which caused my ribcage to contract and that causes muscle aches in the part where your ribs are 'attached' to your chestbone. So there wasn't any need for any tests regarding blood pressure or the functioning of my heart as everything was fine. So that's quite the relief!! :)
  13. alison

alison Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm so glad your heart is functioning well! I've found that knowing that chest pains are due to anxiety even helps to reduce anxiety, making it feel better!

I've never done this - but I heart that progressive muscle relaxation is helpful for people who have muscle problems due to anxiety. You might want to check that out!!

I'm really relieved though that your heart is healthy :D
  14. Sapphire

That may be due to the fact that the body follows the mind? I heard a piano teacher say that once.

My heart is fine, yeah. My BP was 120/77 which was "very good" according to my doc. I'll Google that muscle relaxation thing... Sounds good. :) Btw, can you get do it yourself ultrasound kits? I was kind of looking forward to that. lol ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.