Anybody have an eating disorder which makes them eat too much?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Aurora Gory Alice, May 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I was just wondering because I used to do this, eat and eat and eat and eat until I felt sick (I wouldn't necessarily always through up, but I'd feel the need to and occasionally I would - not in a bulimic way where I would force myself, in a way where it'd come up whether I liked it or not).
    I'd eat for enjoyment but I'd eat so much it'd be like torture.

I've stopped doing that now though. Although there have been times in the past where as soon as anything goes wrong I'll turn to food, for comfort, through boredom, whatever reason there was to eat... I'd eat.
    Food would be like a solace and a saviour. My safe place.
  2. fms

fms Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if it's the same thing but...
    I go for a few days eating like nothing but a couple of slice of bread.
    But then as soon as I feel depressed, I turn to food and start binging.
    Even though I'm hungry...
    I eat till I make myself sick.
    It's disgusting...:eeew:
    But I wouldn't say I had an eating disorder.
    Just really wierd eating patterns.
    I like... live on bread, and breadsticks and yoghurt.
    Just fussy, I suppose...
    Anyway, sorry if I wasn't much help.
  3. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I used to, before I developed anorexia...
    I was a binge eater when I was 11. There were no limits- I ate Nutella right from the bottle, and hided cookies and candy in my room. I was severly depressed and tried to handle it with food. I felt so empty...

I got overweight and when I was 12 1/2 I realized how I looked- fat. I didn't want to live with that so I started starving myself. I lost 25 pounds within a few months... And it didn't stop there.
  4. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

No, I was 'diagnosed' with anorexia nervosa. Sometimes I'd snap and binge like mad, it drove my parents crazy spending so much money on food those days. Could last up to a week, where one time my weight shot up a stone (14lbs)! I'd feel so sick but I'd keep reaching for foods with the most calories. I remember thinking to myself 'What has an insane amount of calories?'. So yeah, I had phases of eating too much and too little. Never got the 'eating too little' bit down though. Food is also huge comfort to me, ate a lot when I was little, my family life was never great. Not really what you were looking for desperateanddepressed, but an experience nevertheless. :)
  5. pippy

pippy Member

i do. i know just how you feel / felt. i can't stop it though. i eat because there's food there and not cos i'm hungry. if i ate when i was hungry i dont think id eat at all.
  6. SweetSurrender

SweetSurrender Well-Known Member

I don't consider myself to have an eating disorder in any shape or form. In fact i've never even come to this subsection before simply because the problems here are not really problems i face so i have nothing to offer anyone.

But i thought i'd come and check it out today because i do have some 'issues' with food and it's been on my mind as i've noticed this past wk i've wanted to eat all the time, not due to being v. hungry but eat for the sake of it. So i identified with your post.

I would say my eating habits were more obsessional/compulsive. I get a specific food fixated in my head and binge on it daily until the obsession goes...usually to be replaced by another one sometime after. So the food is food i want but i never really sit and enjoy it, i hide in my room shovelling in mouthful after mouthful. In fact that is the main thing i hate about my eating habits, it creates more lies and manipulation in my life.

It's strange really because generally i say i had a healthy relationship with food. But sometimes i go through these espisodes where i feel i need something to fill me up and nothing ever is satisfying. I focus on a specific food and literally cannot get it out of my head until the obsession lessens. If i do purge it is never because i feel fat or i'm worried about the calorie intake, i simply do it because i can. Perhaps it is a control issue.

So how did you stop your destructive eating habits?
  7. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

I can relate to nearly all of you. I do the starve/binge cycle. I only eat at work because I am bored and that is only cup of soups. THen on the way home i will binge and be eating although not hungry.

Then I will go through a phase where I will starve myself for days. I found once I get past day 2 or 3, it gets very easy.
  8. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

Normally I binge, that's my m.o.. I B/Ped when I was younger, but I finally broke myself of the puking habit. The last year (2008) I went to a whole other extreme I never had been at - I got panic attacks at the mere thought of food, so I couldn't eat at all, and lost 80 pounds. When I quit smoking in January, I began eating again, and am gaining it all back quickly. Now I can only eat a few types of things without getting panic, but what I can and do eat I totally pork on until my stomach is tight. And I keep getting hungry, so I keep eating. So if that's the same thing, then yeah. And I think the binging/over eating thing is the exact opposite side of the same coin as my panic attacks over food. One is comfort - the other is fear. It's all out of control. Everything is out of control.
  9. Brikka

Brikka Member

i did this when i was really young until i turned 12 and turned to bulimia...and then since i have been recovering from bulimia i have been doing this again...binging as a form of punishment, because i feel so awful and uncomfortable.

i'm sorry you are doing sucks
  10. hardcore

hardcore Well-Known Member

Yes it is. Diferent mentally from anarexia, dont ask me how but I know it is. It's called compulsive overeating. I've had it for a while, it's like a drug. The depression hits and if I let go next thing I know my room is full of loads of food containers, I haven't done any work, I haven't bathed at all, and I am extremely anti-social. The worst part about it is you just feel pathetic. I mean I used to think I didn't have any real problems, I just thought I was a lazy peice of crap. Then trying to make up for the overeating and lack of work takes up your life. It's all you really think about, nothing else matters. But compared to other stuff overeating is a much better option although I still hate it with a passion and avoid it. Things are never as simple as they seem. God, and another thing is that people don't listen to you. I tried to talk to my ADD med. perscriber and he was just like 'uh... probably just teenager hunger, hahaha'. Eventually I knew I had a problem but I was so embarressed by it that I never wanted to talk about it.
  11. SmilePretty

SmilePretty Staff Alumni

it reminds me of bulimia without the vomitting. binge eating is an eating disorder. :hug:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.