Anybody here unemployed?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by DarnTired, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarnTired

DarnTired Antiquitie's Friend

I am. That's a big source of depression.

Been out of work since just before Thanksgiving (had to face the holidays with practically no money and no way to visit my family). Been looking, but it's tough. I am a writer who has worked in post-production, and there just isn't anything. I also just finished a 19 month temp job (Wow) at IHOP offices as an office temp, pinballing all over the building from department to department. They just finally ran out of things for me to do. I was looking earnestly for the first two months, but depression has slowed down my enthusiasm and I try but I easily get discouraged. I was really down on myself and believed for a while that they didn't like me anymore at IHOP. I was proved wrong when I there recently to have lunch with a few old co-workers and everyone in the building was glad to see me. The poor, wonderful woman from HR wouldn't even let me say "Hi, how are you" before she started appologizing over and over again that she didn't have work for me and that they even had to let a few people go. I told her I understood. It was nice knowing that if something comes up there, they would call me in, but it being so slow is having that rotten effect on me again.

The worst thing is that now it is standard that you look for work using the internet: most companies don't want to see you at all. Apply online. You try doing that all day, sitting in your room and trying to think up new ideas of where to send resumes, and it can get gloomy after a while. I think I'm gonna' go for a walk.

Just wanted to share that. I'll bet there's lots of people out there going through the same thing. Share, if you like. I'm interested.

P.S. - Just remembered: When I went back on that day to have lunch, I remembered that my last duty was to pull building plans that were no longer needed and get them ready to be photocopied and shipped to our warehouse. When I turned up, there they all still were, the plans I pulled, after three months, with the post-it notes in my handwriting stuck to them. Nobody had done a thing with them. I said, "You should really get a temp in here to finish that job." That got a laugh.

2. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Sorry Darn :laugh:

That wasn't helpful at all.

I'd like to say that I'm sorry as shit you're in that position. Financial stress and not having a job is horrible, but in conjecture with other things it's a killer. I know that I had to leave LA county after having my break down. Finances are bad here too, but mostly because I'm crazy and haven't been functioning for five + months now.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2009
  3. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

been unemployed since dec 2007

4. stinkymouse

stinkymouse Well-Known Member

worked for 17 years in the same job,but had a mental breakdown in July 04 and been on benefits ever since!!!!!

5. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

hahahha, yes i am.
    wouldnt be able for a job.

6. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I've been unemployed for 8 years and only get by because I take care of my sick mother and live in her house. This is like having a job, but not one where I have to get up at 5 or 6 a.m. When I first posted my "story" here, and that I would most likely end up homeless when my mom dies, one of the members said that financial issues are among the top 3 or 4 on the list of why people come to SF. Here's the real kicker for us. My brother is a top level employee at IHOP and does most of the firing. He says that there is no one left under him to let go. So not only can he not get me a job, not that the bastard would try anyway, but he may be out of work himself soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2009
  7. derbygirl

derbygirl Chat and Forum Buddy

Unemployment! The thorn in my side lol (i have to laugh, doesnt make me feel as useless).
    I havnt been able to hold down a job for more than a couple of months due to my mental illness. Thankfully im on benefits because of this.

Im back at uni, studying a bachelor of science (psychology); and I figure, once i graduate, register, and find work as a psych, i can say "up yours" to all the arse hole employers who fired me (because of hospitalisations and other problems associated with being mentally ill, they-in order not to be accused of unfair dismissal- put it down to be simply unreliable, even though upon employment and reading my academic transcripts they say theyre deeply impressed and say my work ethic is excellent, and im a fanastic employee.....wankers!!!!).

8. DarnTired

Yeah, I was kinda' wondering what the five dots meant. Hee-Hee

I'm thinking of leaving L.A. too if something doesn't happen within the next year. I used to think I couldn't leave my friends but now there's little left here to hold me.

9. DarnTired

Wow, since I was there for 19 months, I might know your brother.

Sorry for the situation that you, me and all of us are in. I guess we just keep trying. At least I'm not alone.

10. DarnTired

I think mental health doctors are amongst the noblest of people, at least that's what I think of my therapist. I'm going to be losing him in five weeks (he's graduating). Sad, but maybe the next one be alright.

11. derbygirl

derbygirl Chat and Forum Buddy

I think that too, if i can be half the psych my previous one is, then ive accomplished heaps. I look up to him a great deal when it comes to my potential to help others. Your comment makes me feel proud to be a psych student and potential psych :biggrin:
    Hopefully you find your new psych is just as helpful, my new psych is proving to be (thankfully).

Heres to recovering and re-entering the work force in the (hopefully) not too distant future!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.