Anybody make their therapist tear up or cry - due to sympathy?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by downunder, Dec 30, 2008.

1. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anybody make their therapist cry? I have seen mine with watery red eyes. She says she feels my pain. Then she says don't let it worry me. She is a psychiatrist. Is this normal???
  2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

She's human. I'm not surprised.

Mine would be devastated if I killed myself. Not just a professional failure... There's nothing to cry about in my life, though [but plenty to panic about!] so I haven't actually seen my therapist cry.
  3. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

it depends what you expect from a therapist.

some would say it shows a lack of professionalism and it might worry the patient and the patient may not in the future share things because they are looking out for their therapist and does not want to hurt or upset them.

on the other hand, some would like their therapist to show some emotions that way they know that the therapist understands your pain and know they care for you.

are you okay with your psychiatrist showing her tears? does it change how you feel about her?

sorry i can't give a definite answer on the normalcy
  4. aki

aki Well-Known Member

yeah, with the lady I saw a couple of years ago. Another time she tried to hug me, but I didn't really like to be touched back then so I said no. I don't like it when they get emotional and really sympathetic, it makes it harder for me to talk about sensitive stuff.
  5. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

My therapist is a very compassionate and caring person. I don't think I could relate to one that seemed cold and distant. I know they say it is unprofessional for them to show emotions,but I think I would have stopped seeking help if she had not been a positive experience for me. This includes showing her true compassion.
  6. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

my guy gets annoyed if I sit in the chair too long. looks at his watch,
    then at me, like a semi reasonably good impersonation of John Cleese.
    nope. nary a tear.
  7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I don't make her cry. I make her laugh a lot though:laugh:
  8. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

I do make her laugh as well. She once said you always make me laugh when I am trying to be serious. I think she is getting pissed of with me lately. She tells me to be more open and then freaks out when I do. Told her I had been driving around and been to the site of a previous attempt of mine. She said "my name, what do you expect me to think when you tell me things like this". Now she wants me to go on anti-depressants but I am too scared. But then I am thinking of using them to OD.