Anyone a vegan?

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Sea Sparkles, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Sea Sparkles

Sea Sparkles Well-Known Member

If so, how long have you been a vegan for?
    Has it helped/ worsened your depression / other mental illnesses?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

My daughter was a vegan she became very ill her depression was worse in that time

3. Yeah, I've ate vegan since 2009 or 2010. I couldn't not eat vegan. It saddens me culture hasn't integrated veganism more. It's the fault of the state of culture that isn't compassionate to suffering. One can easily eat vegan, it's just made difficult by culture not making it more mainstream. Such as more vegan restaurants and vegan options at non-vegan restaurants. My depression probably led me to being more conscious of suffering which made me adopt veganism. But I going to do it anyway, since meat always grossed me out. I was depressed for five years before eating vegan.

4. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

My boss is a vegan, and she seems healthy and happy. In fact, she is one of the nicest and most cheerful people I've ever met, and she is a marathon runner. That's all great for her, but it's not for me. I'm a carnivore, through and through. Some animals were meant to eat other animals. I am one of those animals.

Reib, I do not want the animals that I eat to suffer. I wish them a happy life and a quick, relatively painless death if at all possible. But when it comes to nature, you're either the hunter, or you're dinner. The animals I eat would just end up in another animal's stomach if they didn't end up in mine.

As for health, I can't say how it might affect mental health per se, but I do know that animal fats, proteins and cholesterol are important building blocks for testosterone and muscle development... this may be more important to men than it is to women. Vegan and vegetarian diets always seemed like they would be more appropriate for females... not trying to sound sexist, there's actually a biological basis for my belief. Studies have shown that low testosterone can increase feelings of depression in men. Vegan foods like tofu not only do not boost testosterone levels, but they've actually been known to increase estrogen levels. Maybe that's a good thing for women, I don't know.

5. Sea Sparkles

Sea Sparkles Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies, guys. It's always interesting to hear what people say.

I do know if you don't eat 'right' well vegan it can cause health problems, and cause you to be anemic, which can cause anxiety/ depression. Then I heard others say going vegan has been the best thing they've ever done.

6. kote

kote Account Closed

i tried it for a while when i first got diagnosed with diabetes.

it was kind of refreshing and not hard to do - even though im a true meat lover - i did it to help get control of my diabetes at first.

but i didnt continue it - maybe because i needed meat.

but to clense yourself and feel free of toxins its pretty good mentally wise.

soya milk isnt that bad and tofu can be cooked into some quite nice things. fruits and veg are always great!!!

7. lelantgirl

lelantgirl Well-Known Member

YES been a vegan 3 years.............never looked back.
    I have been ill since a child so nothing on a food basis makes me better sadly.
    Was a vegi 23 years and then changed to vegan. I dont see why animals need to suffer and be mass bred just to satisfy our bellies and palate, when we have so much food on offer. If we bred less animals for consumption, we would have far more land to grow grain and alot of famine could be helped.
    There are healthy meat eaters, and not, healthy vegi/vegans and not...............I dont think meat is meant for our digestion as wrong shape insides and meat putrifies and can still be inside you up to 6 years later.............bowel cancer is very low in vegi's.................

Could debate all day but too tired right now. But would definitely advocate a vegan diet, and its not boring, far from it and if you like the meaty tastes/textures there are plenty of mock meats out there now, including vegan prawns and steak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. lelantgirl

Well done on your philosphy, one greatly shared.

9. Samara

Samara Account Closed

I am a vegetarian, but even as a "vegetarian", I am finding there is MEAT IN EVERYYYYYTHINGGG! I am talking about derivatives from animals, or basically substances that are pulled from carcases and put into other items. Yogurt has it, sour cream has it, bread has it, jello has it, anything that contains gelatine (too many things to list), has it, marshmallows have it etc etc etc etc etc.....

It's really gross that so many things have that going on, from creams, to makeup, to all kinds of things...

AND THEN, there is the animal testing thing... So, even if it doesn't contain a dead animal, they killed or maimed animals testing it out. Needless to say, I am likely tired of the way things are made. When the heck did bread stop being just bread, and incorporate dead animal in it?

Likewise, if I go to a restaurant it seems every single dish has meat in it, from the salad, to the veggies, to the soups, to the main entres... Even salad dressing.

10. Samara

Samara Account Closed

I never understood why someone would stop eating dead animals, just to simulate the texture and flavour of the same thing?

Personally, I don't want my food to taste like animals anymore... that sickens me. Just curious why other people still need that if they make the conscious decision to stop eating animals?

11. lelantgirl

A good idea though for meat eaters, who can go vegan and still have texture taste..........its good for this and burgers that are 'meaty' actually are quite popular and people dont see a difference as if maybe they had a burger with bits of veg visible, you make it with soya protein, it looks like meat so fools the meat eaters brains on some level.
    I agree the taste and texture of some mock stuff is TOO realistic and dont like it, but its good we have choices and they are so nutritious and versatile too.

12. Finance

Finance Well-Known Member

No. People daydream about it, but usually come back to the magic of animal fats.

The income of my family is pork based.

2.2 million hogs slaughtered this week in America. Somebody is hungry.

13. hamza

hamza Member

I am a vegetarian most of the times, but not my own will eat meat once 0 in the year only
    Can legal vegetarian

14. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Strict vegetarian.
    I've not eaten any meat, fish, bird, or eggs (or products made from) in over 30 years.