Anyone been pressured to take medication???

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by downunder, Mar 20, 2009.

1. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

I don't really believe in it unless it is for really serious stuff like schizophrenia, bi-polar etc. But I don't judge other people who take it, just for me personally I don't want it and would rather sweat it out. I had a friend at school and then I met her several years later, and she was so on such medication that she was a completely different person in a bad way, and I don't want to end up like her.

My shrink is pressuring me to take Lexapro. She will even give it to me for free!!

I feal like just taking the whole lot at once, then she won't give it to me anymore. She is sending me off for blood tests, and I feel like fasting for several days and drinking heaps of water before hand so I get bad results then she will get off my case about it.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

i too was being pressured to take medication fought it for awhile now but it came down to taking medication or ending up not here. For now i have chosen to try medication yet again and this time it has helped decrease anxiety. It does make me tired but i rather sleep than feel like i did. I will take it for now just to get me through rough patch then hopefully come off it as soon as possible. It does help me talk more in therapy as it just gives me a calm i don't care feeling.
  3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

My father has always been extremely opposed to my taking "mind altering medications", as he called them...

He now sings a bit of a different tune now that he's been forced to go on anti-depressants/anti-convulsants. He's much happier for them, and despite not needing them for epilepsy, he continues to take them.

I suggest you try. They can make life liveable again.

...and here I am pressuring you :p
    But from my experience, they're worth trying.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2009
  4. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

At least give it a try. If it is the right medicine, it will not change your personality. If it does, then you have the wrong medicine.
    I was negative to medication, but I gave it a try with a positive result. I'm not on Lexapro, but on Zoloft (another antidepressant of the same type)
  5. elvinchild

elvinchild Well-Known Member

I've been pressured to take medication by my former therapist, pressured to continue a high dosage for my entire life by my psychiatrist, pressured to stay on them by my friends... but then again I'm diagnosed with Bipolar II. I was so close to suicide that I was ready to try anything, so I took meds for about a year. They helped me a lot, but ultimately I didn't not want to stick with them and am trying natural treatment now. People aren't too happy about that. They're worried I'm going to kill myself. But I feel better, and at least I sure as hell know I refuse to take medication for the rest of my life unless there's one with less side effects then the one I was taking.

Anyway, I wouldn't completely brush them aside if you haven't tried it. Anti-depressants are often prescribed short term, and even if they want you to stay on longer, you don't have to. It might give you the little extra kick you need to start feeling better, it might not. But you won't know until you try.
  6. necrodude

necrodude Well-Known Member

my family said to take them. my mates yelled cause i took them and my doctors will get me locked up in an institution if i dont take them. what pressure...
  7. PandorasToybox

PandorasToybox Well-Known Member

Oh wow yeah funny story here (sarcastic) about a recent incident.

So either I go see a counselor or they have me arrested & dragged to the ER (again), and I choose to go in a see them. They tell me the ONLY way I'll get better is with meds and these meds work miracles. They said if I didn't take them they'd call the police and the counselors would refuse to see me ever again.

So I go on the meds, get really sick and try and get a hold of the counselors who REFUSE to see me. So now I'm on the floor puking my guts out, my hair is falling out & I'm having seizures once every hour. I have no coordination, and even when the side effects ease up, I can't yawn without losing all use of muscles and falling. So now I'm terrified and I can't get into see a doctor because he left for vacation and even when I get a hold of the ER & MH they both tell me that "it can be frustrating waiting for the meds to work" .

THEN I had some friends try and convience me to go off the meds and when I decide not to, they call the police on me and say "She's threatening to kill herself and she stopped taking her medication"...

Well shortly after that I stopped taking the medications because after 8 weeks they weren't working and I was probably 8 times more suicidal...
  8. plates

plates Well-Known Member

That's just horrible to read about. You have my sympathy. Your friends, and whole MH team and police (wtf really- blackmailing you to take medication otherwise you couldn't see a counsellor is wrong) risked your life and health.