Anyone else depressed because of the way they look?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Aurora Gory Alice, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

The main reason for my depression is how I look.

I am overweight - which I know a lot of people are, but I now think even if I were to lose the weight my depression would improve but only slightly. I want to be beautiful. Supermodel beautiful, one part of my mind tells myself that is ridiculous and you are what you were born with - but the other half tells me I can fix all of that to become the best version of me there is.

I was actually looking at some pictures of my friend and her friends on a night out and judging them so harshly, and it was really silly things like "oh my God, her eye brows weren't plucked" and "how can anybody leave the house with yellow teeth like that" (they're smokers) and "how can she not have perfectly groomed hair/how can you go outside with no make up on/why are her nails not done/why are her clothes so boring". All of which is ridiculous because MOST people look regular and normal, MOST people do not look like celebrities.

I don't know why I feel this way but I hate it.
  2. FluffySoup

FluffySoup Account Closed

I'm not really affected by my looks but more of my lifestyle and surroundings. But sometimes when I look in the mirror, I just see a emotionless face staring back, that kind of affect how I look at myself. My face just reflects all the misery.
    And i'm sure some super models are depressed themselves, their lifestyles are pretty harsh.
  3. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

Not weird thinking at all. When we are so keyed in on something, we notice everything about ourselves and everyone else too.

Self security is defintely improved when we take care of ouselves on the outside too. If yo [feel] depression would improve on any level with losing weight, that is something you can take control of....not always easy or glamorous but you want to start somewher right?

That's was my story when I first dieted in the 5th grade. I was born chubby and depression starting at 3yrs old. Here I am at 34 yrs old and fighting anorexia and bulimic tendencies. Still not happy....

Perhaps you cant start a thread on eating healthy/exercise thread and people can hold themselves accountable. I would definatley join you and support you all.

INSPIRE yourself.......maybe your avatar needs to reflect who you are learning to be rather than always see an image of an overweight person?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.