Anyone else experienced coming off mirtazapine?

Holding my breath

SF Pro
SF Supporter
My gp is taking me off mirtazapine as it’s not working as an antidepressant. Slightly concerned that he said I should be able to come off it in a week by reducing my dose by 15 mg everything couple of days. I’ve been on 45 mg dose for around 5 months. First night tonight on 30mg. It’s going to be difficult to work out what’s a symptom of coming off them and just a normal bad night. At the moment just can’t sleep! My previous side effects have been what I can only describe as electric shocks, sometimes going through my entire body or sometimes like a speed camera going off in my head. I’m not looking forward to the next few days. Has anyone else ever tried to come off these?

LOSTINSIGHT

In my experience and research Drs are tapering people way too fast .
the electric shock ,is that a sideafect of the meds or coming off them before .i had it coming off meds/reducing before .
the slower the better you can come off meds to be safe. .survivingantidepressants.org is a site with alot of knowledge of coming off meds.
Hopefully your DR will be of help if you want to be safer and slower .
Dont go reading any stories on that site that mite trigger you ,keep to specifics in regards your case .
there will be a search box on top right ,,put in "tapering off mirtizapine ".they go by the motto of tapering 10% of your dose to reduce any problems .
Peace.

Last edited:

Holding my breath

SF Pro
SF Supporter
Thank you @lostsight The electric shocks happened when I started the medication and were worse on one occasion when I missed a dose. I describe as having a speed camera going off in your head. I’m currently on day 2 of reduction of 15mg and experiencing palpitations, nausea and I’m lightheaded. My solution? Down a couple of glasses of red wine and consider going cold turkey by stopping the entire lot. I will however, when the wine is starting to lose its effect, take a look at this website. Thank you for taking the time to look this up for me.

LOSTINSIGHT

Thank you @lostsight The electric shocks happened when I started the medication and were worse on one occasion when I missed a dose. I describe as having a speed camera going off in your head. I’m currently on day 2 of reduction of 15mg and experiencing palpitations, nausea and I’m lightheaded. My solution? Down a couple of glasses of red wine and consider going cold turkey by stopping the entire lot. I will however, when the wine is starting to lose its effect, take a look at this website. Thank you for taking the time to look this up for me.
Your welcome.
Please take a look at that site.it was created by people that take these drugs and there experience .
Please take it safe .
Peace.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00