Anyone else have flat affect?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by galalleni, Jun 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. galalleni

galalleni Well-Known Member

Howdy All,

I've been diagnosed by a neuropsychiatrist as 296.34 (Severe Major Depressive Disorder with Psychotic features, Recurrent), and 309.81 (Post traumatic stress disorder) from my messed up childhood, along with flat affect (not sure of the code for it).

My question is does anyone else here suffer from flat affect in addition to their other diagnosis and how do you operate in social situations or survive in the world at large?

2. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

my gf has this. but then again she just doesn't like psychiatrists and many people..:dunno:

she generally has had to force herself into social situations- especially when it concerns for example, university work or getting a job, study people(esp. when this concerns dealing with the public) and just researching very basic non-verbal skills and practicing them

she's not like this away from 'the outside' though. with people she knows, like me, she loses that flat zombie mute-thing and is very animated- and she's changed so much since i've met her..

she's actually made a friend where she works and went to a mini party a few weeks ago!

things do change. if you are very depressed you are going to be flat. i'm like that too...

3. FireBird

FireBird Well-Known Member

I don't have flat affect but rather inappropriate affect. I laugh and smile at everything there is including when I am suicidal. I laugh at inappropriate times, even when something bad happens. I don't have the full range of emotions, I can't cry unless the news is so bad or someone calls me names. This is why the doctors think I am not depressed because I always appear happy when I'm not.

4. Lady Byron

Lady Byron Well-Known Member

that's funny (not in the haha way) because i think i'm that same way. i smile at everything and everyone (i usually get weird looks from strangers) and i laugh at everything (even if it's not funny). i don't know if i have any disorders because i hate talking to my doctor. she's really nice and all, but i just can't tell her the truth because i think i'm a little effed up and i might make her feel uncomfortable. *sigh* i know i'm depressed though. i talked to her about that and she had me on meds but i felt really weird while i was on those and i kind of have a pill/medicine phobia. i don't like taking any. my mom has to force me to take meds. i.e. nyquil when i have a flu/cold and ibprofen when i have a headache. i know i have insomnia though :insomnia:. oh and i took that liebowitz (i think that's how you spell it) test thing and i guess i have severe social phobia which does not really correspond well with the smiling thing. also, this part is unlike you because as you don't cry unless bad news or name calling happens, i can go from extremely happy to effin pissed at the drop of a hat. but who knows. obviously not me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.