Anyone Else Here Broke As $%*? And Can't Even Take Care Of Themselves?

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Samara, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samara

Samara Account Closed

I'm in a crisis situation, I have no money now, and am about to become homeless. I can't help but guess that this is a common theme here. I can't get any social assistance, because I wasn't "laid off" either.
  2. red ribbons

red ribbons Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm with you. My husband killed himself, robbed me of ALL my $$ before he died, left me with no savings, checking, put the retirement in the stock market-ha, can't get help anywhere. Left me no insurance, left me with all his debts to pay off, 2 cars to pay off, can't afford anything, even food. There is no help anywhere unless you have $$ and lots of it. I'm sorry if this is depressing, but it is depressing and why I am here. There are no jobs-none. Don't know what to do. Just taking it 1 minute at a time...Oh yeah, he left me $27 in the bank.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2012
  3. catecholamine

catecholamine Well-Known Member

I'd probably be homeless if it wasn't for SSI. I was getting booted from the state health insurance because of my age, I was no longer considered a child, and had no way to get it again - except to apply for disability. SSI isn't a ton of money, about $720 a month, but it provides insurance as well in my state. Some states, you have to wait 2 years to get insurance, but not here. Anyway, it's enough to pay some of my bills/rent. Without it, I'd be royally screwed. I've been very lucky to have gotten disability for my Bipolar Disorder so easily. If your depression or mental illness is keeping you from working, maybe you should look into applying for disability?
  4. Samara

Samara Account Closed

Hey Red Ribbons, what you said is not depressing at all! It sounds like he really wanted you to suffer??? I mean putting things elsewhere before he died?

Gosh that is really harsh. I have zero to my name right now, and though I got my old job back and start later today (since posting this last night), it still doesn't stop me from literally becoming homeless. I am not sure how I am going to tackle or manage that one at all.
  5. Samara

Samara Account Closed

I cannot apply for that, as I have not been diagnosed, to get diagnosed a doctor would have to do that for me, none have done that for me yet; and I haven't ever seen any other doctors long enough for that to happen either. I have no finances to afford that right now either.

I did get my old job back, but it still won't pay me in time to prevent the homelessness, and even getting paid, won't give me enough money to get a place to stay either; until a few weeks from now.
  6. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Yeah Im in a very similar situation. Struggeling to more or less care now and push myself to getting a job again. Trying to get back into web deisgn so I can earn money from home aswell.. it's dire and rents due in 4 days. Usualy eating 1 meal every day or so off of pure cheap waste food. Im not entitled to any support which is good in my case.

Can you talk to your landlord and explain you've had a flux in your payments and wont get a cover balance for the new few weeks?
  7. catecholamine

catecholamine Well-Known Member

Just FYI, if you don't have enough records to support your claim (or don't have a diagnosis or whatever), when you apply, the social security office will PAY for you to see a doc to be evaluated on your claims. I didn't have to see one cause I had so many records from psych hospitals and doctors, but they ask a lot of people to see a doc. It's quite common.
  8. Samara

Samara Account Closed

I did not realize that they ask you to see a doctor.
  9. Ldub20

Ldub20 Well-Known Member

It hurts to hear that you are feeling a financial squeeze. If it makes you feel better, so am I, one that could jeopardize my chances of going to college this semester.
  10. Samara

Samara Account Closed

I had finally decided I was going to go back to school, upgrade and finish, to get into uni; well here is mid august. That's not happening, I don't have the money to do that now.
  11. Kiba

Kiba Well-Known Member

Samara, just wanted to let you know I am actually homeless myself right now and have been traveling with a friend since March. She is currently trying to get on disability. I am already on disability, but where we are there is little to no place you can afford on 1 persons disability income alone. I only get $698 here and the cheapest place where I used to live is going up to around $500 a month for a studio I have heard around December.

Unfortunetly it is happening to many people, even if they have a job.

If you can't afford where you are now will you end up with an eviction record? Because I know it is nearly imposible to get into any kind of housing here if you have any kind of eviction record..

I'd like to help if I can. Can send me a PM anytime. :hug:
  12. sadcat

sadcat Well-Known Member

re people needing help because they can't work, are layed off or are awaiting a disability claim. I thought I'd put together a list of various agencies/websites in the US that could help.

To get help with prescription costs either go to the manufacturer's website directly or go to

This is a site that allows you to answer questions and will provide a report and I think some websites at the end for those programs you may qualify for.

This is the Low Income Home Energy Assistance website.

This is one for children of low income families that need glasses.

This one is a link to HUD which is a program for affordable housing.

Here's one to Food and Nutrition Services.

Here's another one from the US govt that has a list of all kinds of things.

Here's another one that has non profit organizations as well as governement programs. low_income_assistance_programs.html

There are also state programs avaliable and community programs but those are too numerous for me to list. Try putting in your community or state and adding resources for low income families/children/people/women/whatever. You'll find that there are a lot of things that pop up.

Hope this helps.

13. sadcat

sadcat Well-Known Member

BEST DEAL OF ALL or so I think: Assurance Wireless offers those who meet income qualifications or if you get food stamps 250 minutes on FREE CELL PHONE plus extra more minutes at lowest price.

ALSO: came out with above idea first-250 free minutes per month DO NOT ROLL OVER, though and extra minutes are bought through T-mobile's high rates. (I got mine, within 24 hours misplaced the cord charger-within a week,lost/misplaced the phone-they REFUSE to help me out and replace such)

Don't overlook your local library for assistance.It's an amazing wealth of information plus Florida ones have FREE computer usage-Some limit to 1/2 hour, some you can use for an hour or two on non busy days, you can make advance reservations.

Salvation Army has groceries, doctors, also offer furniture vouchers to get furniture in store locally. Do you foresee yourself to soon be homeless? Short transition period but such helps you save up for renting, possibly. Did you know you can stay at one for up to 2 weeks per year?

If you are in an abusive relationship, need an out, there's always s Abuse shelters to go to-You can get free counseling on the phone from them as well. They also have classes about domestic violence , co-dependency , etc. Again, transitional time to stay somewhere for free with free meals, they will give you clothing, some will help to furnish an apt. Years ago I stayed at one for a month-they helped me relocate to another city, find a good paying job.

A listing for current medical trials going on can be found at They list is they are recruiting, open, or closed as well as qualifications of that study.
    Here are some links for NY state help.

Energy bill help

About various health insurance options in NY(includes low income options)

Dental help in NYC services_dental.shtml

Brooklyn clinics for low income healthcare/

Places to enroll in public health programs(includes medicaid, community based programs, mental health, and private) enroll.shtml

For those without insurance you can drastically reduce your medication costs by using

The reason this company can provide such reduce costs for meds is because they only provide medications to those that do not have insurance, therefore they get some sort of discount from manufactures, as well as not having to have the additional expenses by having to file insurance paperwork.

There has been some sceptic's that don't believe that an online pharmacy is valid due to the fact that until now, a large majority of these type of pharmacies have been the scam out of the country type business that are most likely selling you placebo tablets.

Eye Problems help:
    Eye Care America-provides exams for 65 and older. Also has a glaucomaCare for those with glaucoma. phone number 1-877-887-6327

Vision USA- help for uninsured low income people and their families

Lions Club International- Help possibly(depending on local club) getting glasses or eye care. Check here for a club near you.

Mission Cataract USA- Helps people get cataract surgery if they can't pay. Surgeries scheduled one day a year.

InfantSEEĀ®- public program regardless of insurance situation to help detect eye issues in infants.

New Eyes for the Needy- provides glasses vouchers.

For those that don't have any medical ins ck this site out.

Co-Payment programs(for those with insurance but have high copays) payment_programs
    Free/low cost clinic finder free_clinic_finder

Cancer related help. FactsheetSearchResult8_3.aspx

Some for the UK folks. AdultLearning/FinancialHelpForAdultLearners/index.htm benefits_index_page_ew/help_for_people_on_a_low_income_- _income_support.htm BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/ DG_10018708 benefits_index_page_ew/help_for_people_on_a_low_income_- _the_social_fund.htm

UK -

for medicines in the UK -

hi, uk policy on meds, if you have insuficiant income or no work meds are free.

if you have a good income and work meds are set at Ā£7.50 (ish) for any med.

if he has any problemss getting meds see Dr and s/he will sort it out. here there is NEVER a need for "ow poor me" i need money for meds.

USA -

Medical equipment assistance(Texas)-

Medical equipment assistance(worldwide)

MIX -

Disabled People South Africa-
    Various grant programs for disabled among others- Grants.html

UK programs- dg_10020535

US charity with various programs-

I hope these help someone.....

14. Kiba

Kiba Well-Known Member

Just saying even if you have money to pay for a deposit and one months rent doesn't mean you qualify to rent.. My problem is I have an income but it doesn't meet most income requirements for a place..And its not enough to rent long term.. My friend and I have around $900 USD saved for rents and deposits but it doesn't give us a place to live.. and we are still saving more. And 2 weeks isn't long enough to get a job here or anything.. Just saying..

I appreciate all the resource links though..

I currently am on food stamps myself.. I just fixed my insurance.. I am on Disability.. HUD housing lists are years out here.. (But they differ by state and area)

There is also a lifeline program in most states that can reduce your phone bill.. (I get $13.50 a month off mine)

Also is best if you can, to find churches or other places that offer free meals. I've been to a few.. Or groups you can attend that have snacks or activities help.
  15. Bleepo

Bleepo Member

I can identify. I'm recently homeless with benefits cut off. Salvation army won't help me locally because I don't have an address.
  16. Samara

Samara Account Closed

Sadcat, I know that you spent a long time compiling this list, but I don't even live in the U.S.A.

Even with a list of things in my own country, I am struggling. I do not have and nor do I get any disability either.
  17. Baka

Baka Well-Known Member

Exactly my situation too, zero $$ with no prospects of getting any plus like you can't qualify for any assistance as I also quit my job though it's been a while since that happened. No answers but know what you're going through, what a horrible feeling it is, been homeless before, twice as a matter of fact and it's not a good situation, takes so long to get out of it and work your way back up is it worth doing it again is what I ask myself. Have about 8 days left where I live and realize no miracle is going to happen, seeing as how I'm not going to be homeless again there's really only option left.
  18. sadcat

sadcat Well-Known Member

I listed a numner of helps for the UK and else where.

Since I do not know where you are located - I do not know what other places might help you.

Much Love and Hugs, Raoul
  19. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Listing location (country) in a profile really helps when soliciting advice, etc. I have found it difficult in many cases on here to suggest anything due to not knowing where the individual resides. Programs and benefits, as well as even cultural differences, vary from country to country... unfortunately.
  20. Samara

Samara Account Closed

I was not expecting to have to list all of my details like my age, real name, and location on my profile; just like I don't expect to constantly have to say it either in chat, but it seems to be all that people want to know. I don't always want people to know that.

I also was not expecting a list of resources or anything that I am being given either right now.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.