Anyone else here have religion preventing them from doing it?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Kadoosh, Feb 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kadoosh

Kadoosh Member

I'm a Christian and my primary concern is doing it and being severely punished for it in the after life. Punished for not wanting a life I never asked for in the first place.
  2. W Miller

W Miller Well-Known Member

My only reason; period :(
  3. Kadoosh

Kadoosh Member

Technically the bible says its not a grave sin but even the slight remote possibility of me doing it and getting to the afterlife and being told "What have you done with the life that I gave you? Now you must be punished" is alone enough for me to just stick it out I guess...

80ish years of misery >>>>>> eternal punishment
  4. W Miller

I'm glad to hear you say you will "stick it out".

Yeah, I could never find it in the bible either when it speaks/reads of suicide being a sin; I think it is/was more of a church teaching.

Keep fighting as will likely do the same, and for the same reason as you.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2015
  5. W Miller

A few more things to add here that may or may not help you.

~If you kill your body you will solve nothing! You and those you love still will have all the problems that made you want to end your life. But without a body you won’t be able to do anything to help them.

~Your after-death reality will be created by your mind. This is a problem for those who kill themselves, since many of them feel tremendous guilt at seeing the suffering their deaths inflict on others. They feel a lot of regret. They feel like failures. So for many who commit suicide, the beautiful post-death reality, may be replaced by a cold and miserable outer darkness full of violence and pain.

Of course, these are church teachings and not bible teachings.

We must endure even if we are worse for the ware.

I really do hope I'm helping you. If not, please feel free to report the posting.

Best Wishes to you, and God bless you.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2015
  6. cymbele

cymbele SF Supporter

I think it would be considered a sin because one has rejected Christ and God as their Saviour and King by not relying on their plan for your life. I can't imagine being punished for escaping such misery as I have seen here on SF. What keeps me from enacting my plan is this reason; otherwise I would not worry about an existence in Hell. I'm living it.
  7. AAA3330

AAA3330 Well-Known Member

I don't believe in God anymore so it's really a non-issue for me, but I don't think that a loving god would ever punish someone who commited suicide out of despair, but had otherwise lived a good life.
  8. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Yep, it is part of what stops me. I am God's creation, made in his image. So I can only imagine it as a grave sin to take my own life.
  9. smwhorses

smwhorses Well-Known Member could look at as you have something to learn in this life that will help you in the next.
  10. scaryforest

scaryforest Banned Member

what horses says

but these visions get clouded by thoughts of death or starting new quicker
  11. Kadoosh

Kadoosh Member

12. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

For catholics the church states:

Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbour because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.

However, Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.

For Buddists, there is always the whole karma thing, and that in ending one's life a person disturbs their karmic journey.

I think, that God takes into account the reasons behind the act, but if karma is right, if you do kill yourself you are doomed to come back and face it all over again.
  13. Failure

Failure Well-Known Member

I am not religious. I believe that when you die there is just black. What happened before you were born? Does it matter? Does it even matter what happens after we die? Nothing happens. You die. That's it. At least that's what I believe.
  14. Dewonderland

Dewonderland Well-Known Member

I like this and believe in this in fact ...

Well I am a weird believer but been raised as a christian so I name whatever is above us by this name.

ANd I think you're right when you say we are GOd's creation.

He made us from nothing so from him.

You are part of God. We are part of God.
    I don't think God would be unable to understand the pain and despair ...
    But I think he wish for us to use that light he gave us to enlight world around us.

It's probably a worser sin to bring darkness than all those who are unable to love their brothers and make them miserable.

But I really think we should ... us here ... human people ... try to enlight the world.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.